Poll: Should politicians be disqualified from office for lying?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It's always wrong to lie, however life is complicated. That shouldn't amend that OUR burdens and standards should fall based on individually subjective views on issues. Not when it comes to those being chosen to lead. if you disagree then you also give up on the ideas that you hold any distinction or standards at all
    I disagree. You think it was wrong to lie to the German SS, that you had some Jews hidden in your basement?

And I am not concerned at all on some poster on a gaming forum judging me. I do not share ideas with very many on here and I am not going to give up my convictions based on other people's opinions.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    The "all politicians lie" trope is typical, lazy thinking. There is a difference between "You Can Keep Your Health Insurance" and you know....Trump.
    Well not really, I think it's fair to hit Obama with that statement, because it was a fucking LIE! It doesn't matter what the greater good was behind it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

So why should Obama not be held to the same standard, he still a politician.
    Just saying every president you favor would fail your standards.
    And one of the big reasons was brought up by Draco-Onis.
    Things change. Facts that seem so true...change with perspective.

The problem is pathological liars, they'll just double down, tripping over themselves in hysterical fashion. I caught one of the biggest liars i've ever encountered lying just the other day, smoking gun in hand, and like the retard he is, he slipped over his own shit face first into more shit, it's all they know how to do. I don't think Pathological liars should be in office no.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2020-10-05 at 11:59 PM.

The facts and evidence, records based on what we all KNOW and mostly agree to that can be verified.

For example When Trump Lies at the debates, there should be no pass GO, it should be called on verified and Daily Show played clips of exactly was or wasn't said. If he is lying make him answer for it, right there.

Nothing else should matter.
    What you are pointing out is society not holding him accountable. The network made that choice because of ratings. Again who would have the power to disqualify them aside from the people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I disagree. You think it was wrong to lie to the German SS, that you had some Jews hidden in your basement?

And I am not concerned at all on some poster on a gaming forum judging me. I do not share ideas with very many on here and I am not going to give up my convictions based on opinions.
    It is ALWAYS WRONG TO LIE!

If the SS came to my house looking for Jews, I WOULD LIE!

But I am not a politicians, and those circumstances have nothing to do with me asking someone for their trust as I represent them.

If you can't make that distinction and lying is OK with you and no big deal then you don't HAVE any convictions.

Truth Matters and the bullshit line that well if you were lied to you should have known better belongs with the well if you were raped you shouldn't dress that way, or if someone broke in your house, you should have been ore vigilant.

There are always blind spots and things people legitimately do not always know.

I am not talking about what we DON'T KNOW, I am talking about even if it's not very much what we DO KNOW, and if someone can't even fucking be held to the truth, then nobody bitching should ever complain about politicians at all.

It's never ok to LIE, and as a politician there is never any real reason to do so when running for office.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yes, correct and as people maybe we should DO something about it, because if you are saying that lying isn't completely out of hand or it isn't a problem. Go ahead do some googling on Trust, when it comes to News, Elected Officials Scientist or anyone in any real capacity whether it seems legitimate or not trust these sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is ALWAYS WRONG TO LIE!

If the SS came to my house looking for Jews, I WOULD LIE!

But I am not a politicians, and those circumstances have nothing to do with me asking someone for their trust as I represent them.

If you can't make that distinction and lying is OK with you and no big deal then you don't HAVE any convictions.

Truth Matters and the bullshit line that well if you were lied to you should have known better belongs with the well if you were raped you shouldn't dress that way, or if someone broke in your house, you should have been ore vigilant.

There are always blind spots and things people legitimately do not always know.

I am not talking about what we DON'T KNOW, I am talking about even if it's not very much what we DO KNOW, and if someone can't even fucking be held to the truth, then nobody bitching should ever complain about politicians at all.

It's never ok to LIE, and as a politician there is never any real reason to do so when running for office.
    You just contradicted yourself. I do agree the circumstances matter and as I said.....why you are lying. And in some cases, it is the right thing to do!

But really, you should have posted this in the Politics sub forum.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    What you are pointing out is society not holding him accountable. The network made that choice because of ratings. Again who would have the power to disqualify them aside from the people?
    It should be a provision in our constitution, meaning impeaching someone before they even get off the ground. As for the Standards and practices of any agency especially those that call themselves NEWS, or Journalist, charges with serving the public Trust, it should be a hallmark.

If you get caught fucking lying about anything running for Office, not based on being wrong, not based on maybe being misinformed, but if you are verified to have lied after being established for making one claim and then changing it, it should be a wrap.

- - - Updated - - -

You just contradicted yourself. I do agree the circumstances matter and as I said.....why you are lying. And in some cases, it is the right thing to do!

I am talking about context, I didn't say it was ever right to lie, YOU ASKED me if Nazi were looking for Jewish people would I lie, I said YES!

That doesn't mean it's not wrong to LIE

However in context saving the life of someone who is going to be put to death, isn't the same as lying about basic facts when it comes to running for office.

If you think THE TRUTH and right and Wrong is political, then that said more about your priorities than it does where a thread about lying should go.

It should be a provision in our constitution, meaning impeaching someone before they even get off the ground. As for the Standards and practices of any agency especially those that call themselves NEWS, or Journalist, charges with serving the public Trust, it should be a hallmark.

If you get caught fucking lying about anything running for Office, not based on being wrong, not based on maybe being misinformed, but if you are verified to have lied after being established for making one claim and then changing it, it should be a wrap.
    But it's already there you can impeach a president for anything if you have the majority. The problem is that the people have to give the opposition the power to do so. The basis for an impeachment is broad removal has a high threshold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dontrelleroosevelt View Post
    It's a good thing our President isn't a politician!
    What is a president? A plumber?

- - - Updated - - -

No, lying is never the right thing to do. That’s a lie that liars try to spread, so you believe them again. Would you ever trust someone who lies to you? What if they were being nice and protecting you from your own stupidity? Would thinking you are too dumb to handle the truth, help the medicine go down?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    But it's already there you can impeach a president for anything if you have the majority. The problem is that the people have to give the opposition the power to do so.
    I would say right now the problem is education, and the establishment of based fundamental facts that are lost. That we have people that can't even agree that on that. I am not saying we aren't where we are politically now in many circumstances.

This thread however is pure and simple, Should POLITICIANS not LEFT, NOT RIGHT, NO PARTY, Should Politicians be disqualified from running for office when it's Verified where it 100% can be they FUCKING LIED. Then everything else is just political positioning.

People truly not invested in fucking lying should not ever be OK with a Politician charged with serving the public good lying when it is KNOWN.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is bullshit comparison!!! Do you think it was wrong for German SS to claim political rivals and Jews were out to destroy the country?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I am talking about context, I didn't say it was ever right to lie, YOU ASKED me if Nazi were looking for Jewish people would I lie, I said YES!

That doesn't mean it's not wrong to LIE

However in context saving the life of someone who is going to be put to death, isn't the same as lying about basic facts when it comes to running for office.

If you think THE TRUTH and right and Wrong is political, then that said more about your priorities than it does where a thread about lying should go.
    It wasn't wrong when you lied to save lives.

And what you are wanting sounds good, but it is not practical at all for a lot of reasons. As first said, the voters in many cases, do not care if a politician lied on occasion, as long as they get what they want and think the opponent is worse. It's normal and is not about to change when it comes to politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No, facts don’t change with perspective... perspective is used to justify lying.

- - - Updated - - -

And what you are wanting sounds good, but it is not practical at all for a lot of reasons. As first said, the voters in many cases, do not care if a politician lied on occasion, as long as they get what they want and think the opponent is worse. It's normal and is not about to change.
    It is practical... They don’t care that a person making promises, lied to them? Maybe that’s why it keeps happening... it’s insanity...

I will repeat again:

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Do you think it was wrong for German SS to claim political rivals and Jews were out to destroy the country?
    No, the Germans who didn’t give up Jews, were not lying. Because what the SS claimed Jews were, was not what they were hiding.

This is a barbaric defense of fascist...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-10-05 at 11:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't wrong when you lied to save lives.

And what you are wanting sounds good, but it is not practical at all for a lot of reasons. As first said, the voters in many cases, do not care if a politician lied on occasion, as long as they get what they want and think the opponent is worse.
    You are conflating one thing for another.

Lying is WRONG period, even yes to save the lives of the innocent, but there are greater evils and circumstances, tied to that. I am lying, I am a lying liar who tells a lie to save peoples lives.

That DOESN'T MAKE lying right.

As for Politicians, again I don't care if they ever lied per say, I am saying when they fucking lie, and it can be verified there is no excuse for excusing that behavior. It's like the Protest over the Police. It is NEVER OK to destroy peoples shit, to steal, to attack people EVER!

However like the SS it's even MORE NOT OK TO MURDER someone.

I am not even making this religious either, because ALL SIN is Equal in my eyes, but this is also not about my theology.

Your question is about me a MAN with a decision and if that decision is to LIE to save lives I will. It's a bullshit question but it's realistic scenario LYING is better than MURDER TO ME.

That doesn't mean LYING is OK.

More importantly it shouldn't be tolerated by any fully functioning adults from politicians when it can be verified they did LIE

As if that'd do anything. Truth exists on levels, I can easily state truths that supports me, but leave out ones that don't.

I've got a ten inch dong. That it is made of plastic, and not actually part of my anatomy is not a truth that I need to expose to anyone.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

10+ Year Old Account
    You wouldn’t be lying, because what German SS was looking for, wasn’t actually Jews. It wasn’t evil people that are set to destroy Germany... that’s not who they were hiding... there was no lie.

People truly not invested in fucking lying should not ever be OK with a Politician charged with serving the public good lying when it is KNOWN.
    Options...candidates
    Present them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You wouldn’t be lying, because what German SS was looking for, wasn’t actually Jews. It wasn’t evil people that are set to destroy Germany... that’s not who they were hiding... there was no lie.
    I get what you mean but in any event, I am going to fucking burn Ill burn, but I would live with the fact I lied over allowing someone to be murdered simply because they are Jewish. As I said Theology aside that is my choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get what you mean but in any event, I am going to fucking burn Ill burn, but I would live with the fact I lied over allowing someone to be murdered simply because they are Jewish. As I said Theology aside that is my choice.
    You would be protecting people from a lie, which is a very good thing. Let’s replace Jews, with an actual criminal. See the difference?

@Ghostpanther would you lie, if you had Rittenhouse in your basement and cops came knocking?