Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Its a terrible time to try this movie, and not just because of Coronavirus playing havoc for big-budget movies trying to get their money back any time soon.

With that said, if they insist, it should be a movie featuring Arthas' / Lich King story.

1st one ruined it for me completely. The only way I watch the 2nd one is if it either reboots or retcon fixes the first one, and even then I will only watch it for free online. If it is good and they fix all of the story issues from the first one, then I could maybe get excited and pay to see the one after that if they made one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Ben Foster is a more respectable actor? Why? Because he has more roles under his belt? I mean sure, he does, but when has he been a leading man ever in his career, or been touted for a performance? Sure, Cavill is notoriously wooden in his performances and nothing to write home about, and true, his fame is likely predominantly due to his physique, but at least he's become a leading man and his performances have been no worse than Ben Foster's acting.
    Ok, apparently you don't even know who Ben Foster is so I encourage you to actually watch more of his movies if the only ones you're familiar with are the comic book related ones and Warcraft. He has had several leading man roles (such as The Program and Galveston) and his performances in movies like 3:10 to Yuma, The Messenger, and Hell or High Water have garnered a lot of praise from critics. I recently watched Leave No Trace which was a great movie and apparently has the second most reviews for a film with a 100% score on RT (234 reviews). Hell or High Water is a nearly flawless movie with several excellent performances but Foster's is there at the top. Seriously, Cavill's performances can be wooden but no worse than Foster's? Fucking hell, dude...

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I mean new director and script writers maybe... blizz doesn't have the story telling chops for movie scripts though.
    Duncan Jones is not the reason you didn't like the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Duncan Jones is not the reason you didn't like the first one.
    I mean I didn't like it because the story was awful and all the orcs looked almost identical making it somewhat confusing figuring out who was who.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Should probably go with arthas story it's the only good wow lore imo.
    For YOU!

For the audience who isn't familiar with the Warcraft universe, dropping the Arthas story on them would do nothing but confuse them.
    That's why Blizzard chose to go with the Azeroth invasion for the first movie in order to teach the audience how everything began.

The movie shouldn't target just Warcraft fans, who are obviously aware what everything is about, it's supposed to be a story that even the uninitiated can get into.

I hope not, at least not in the current atmosphere. I do not trust the current writers and Blizzard establishment to pull Arthas' story off correctly. The only time I'd be enthusiastic about it is if Metzen and some others are involved in top positions. While these people and Metzen haven't pulled off a miracle with the first movie, they've poured their souls and money made by a franchise they've made great into the movie, trying to make it the best it could be.

They've shown complete lack of respect for a groundbreaking and genre-defining/creating game like Warcraft 3. They should take a seat, look at some other remakes(ie FF7 Remake) and remake the entire narrative team, staffing it up with people capable to tell an interesting story who aren't sidetracked by other issues.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2020-10-07 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Ok, apparently you don't even know who Ben Foster is so I encourage you to actually watch more of his movies if the only ones you're familiar with are the comic book related ones and Warcraft. He has had several leading man roles (such as The Program and Galveston) and his performances in movies like 3:10 to Yuma, The Messenger, and Hell or High Water have garnered a lot of praise from critics. I recently watched Leave No Trace which was a great movie and apparently has the second most reviews for a film with a 100% score on RT (234 reviews). Hell or High Water is a nearly flawless movie with several excellent performances but Foster's is there at the top. Seriously, Cavill's performances can be wooden but no worse than Foster's? Fucking hell, dude...
    I was about to come scold the dude for not having clue about Foster but you already nailed it apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Fair enough, I haven't seen most of Ben Foster's movies outside of his X-Men/Warcraft role. I did see 3:10 to Yuma though, and yeah, he was good in that, but not much else. I'll check out some of his other roles. He's not bad, he just never very much impressed me though and while the Warcraft movie sucked, I thought he was underwhelming as Medivh and feel like he wouldn't have been really special even if I did have a stellar script and surrounding cast.

Not even Daniel Day Lewis could have made Medivh work with that writing man.

7+ Year Old Account
    If they are going to do another movie, either reboot the first one to tell a better wc1 story or make a sequel, it would be dumb to throw people at wc3 and would be retarded focus on Arthas story.

General public criticized the first one because they didn't get it/it was rushed/ didn't explain well things, they would just be in the dark about everything else, especially with Arths story that is so dependant to other events.

However, the Thrall story would be good for everyone, start with a LOTR monologue talking about the war with some dope CGI fights, say the Legion controlled and send the orcs here, they lost and they start to languish in the camps, cut to Thrall.

Everyone love the superman/Moses kind of story, and they will sympathize with him and his quest to free his people, plus, it can help worlbuild for the next movie, who can now be about Arthas(since the world is set, now they can explain with a LTR monologue that the lich king have something to do with Legion and the Orc Ner'zhul).

WC3 is too big for a movie, especially if their dumb-asses make a 3hour movie into 50minutes.

i literally don't know why blizzard is always the last ones doing something, everyone else is rocking doing series at netflix or other streaming, but not blizzard. Like HOTS they will start later and will be lame.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2020-10-07 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    If they are going to do another movie, either reboot the first one to tell a better wc1 story or make a sequel, it would be dumb to throw people at wc3 and would be retarded focus on Arthas story.

general public criticized the first one because they didn't get it, they would just be in the dark about everything else.

However, the Thrall story would be good for everyone, start with a Lotr monologue talking about the war with some dope CGI fight, say the Legion controled and send the orcs here, they lost and they start to languish, cut to thrall.

Everyone love the superman/moses kind of story, and they will sympathize with him and his quest to free his people, plus, it can help worlbuild for the next movie, who can now be about Arthas. B ut WC3 is too big for a movie, especially if they dumb-asses do a 3hour movie into 50minutes.

i literally don't know why blizzard is always the last ones doing something, everyone else is rocking doing series at netflix or other streaming, like HOTS they will start later and will be lame.
    I like this idea, a lot.
    Hell Metzen's still alive for the foreseeable future, pretty sure he'd like his old personal character to be given the spotlight and voice him.

I mean i'm not gay or into orcs, but dat voice.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    For YOU!

For the audience who isn't familiar with the Warcraft universe, dropping the Arthas story on them would do nothing but confuse them.
    That's why Blizzard chose to go with the Azeroth invasion for the first movie in order to teach the audience how everything began.

The movie shouldn't target just Warcraft fans, who are obviously aware what everything is about, it's supposed to be a story that even the uninitiated can get into.
    Seems people like to ignore that

the public know jackshit about Arthas and Lordaeron, people would give two shits about despite being so meaningful to us, it will not be to then because they don't have enough time to sympathize, on top of that, the story would be just humans and zombies, if they squeeze the Arthas becoming the DK when the WC3 story is not even about him entirely, warcraft is not that.

"there is some sort of plague in this place..."
    "this random prince will fight it..."
    "there is some orcs and trolls along the way..."
    "there is the lich king also..."

Those things take way more time to explain than a simple LOTR monologue

Makes me sad every time I see this thread because I want to see a movie about Warcraft 2 but I know that isn't what this will be

They need to COMPLETELY ignore fans and lore if they want to make a good warcraft movie. The lore of a nerd game written by amateurs will not translate into a satisfying 3-act film with mass market appeal (just imagine if they tried to make the entire franchise so far into a 10 season show, like GoT -- the wow writing is hot garbage, which works for a video game but not for film). Throw everything out the door and start with a few key characters. Create a story in the world but not bogged down by convoluted and contrived lore.

Simplify, simplify, simplify!

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Makes me sad every time I see this thread because I want to see a movie about Warcraft 2 but I know that isn't what this will be
    How about a war of the ancients movie about a noble dragon being corrupted and going Godzilla on a literal demon army and also on everyone else?
    No?
    Damn our niche desires...

Ah imagine the despair, the dark whispers, the night elven shiny cities being defiled by fel magic and Neltharion coming to the rescue of it all... it'd be great for both established fans and the greater public, because there's been a dearth on proper animated or interactive war of the ancients coverage for the fans and the general public can probably appreciate the concept of "big dragons demons magic fight BIG!".
    Or maybe not, but a man can dream...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    They need to COMPLETELY ignore fans and lore if they want to make a good warcraft movie. The lore of a nerd game written by amateurs will not translate into a satisfying 3-act film with mass market appeal (just imagine if they tried to make the entire franchise so far into a 10 season show, like GoT -- the wow writing is hot garbage, which works for a video game but not for film). Throw everything out the door and start with a few key characters. Create a story in the world but not bogged down by convoluted and contrived lore.

they can do something good if they stay faithful to lore, stay on lore is not much of a problem since with that you will use more or less the general events, like, final of first war stormwind is destroyed by the horde and the survivors flee to lordaeron, they have to be faithful to that.

Second war, the final fight with Lothar and Orgrin? they have to be faithful to that.

Is like any book adaptation, it does not have to be 100% but i rather see a Harry pother than a percy jackson of warcraft. Mind you, they literally did their own thing not r elated with lore with Garona and Lothar romance and i don't know if everyone like that crap

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post

To be fair Tolkien was also a pretty big nerd whatever way you twist it, and that worked out fine.
    Now i'm not saying that there's a chance that they're gonna rival the LotR movies, but it's not the nerd or overcomplicated part that did it in (though i do agree that a lot should, as always, be cut from a movie, as happened with the LotR movies too after all).

And if ya simplify too much you're just gonna get some soulless shit that might raise the question of "Why did you bother doing this?", better a failure due to overreach than a forgettable minor succes. The balance needs to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    They should have gone for the WC3 storyline instead
    100%

10char

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    How about a war of the ancients movie about a noble dragon being corrupted and going Godzilla on a literal demon army and also on everyone else?
    No?
    What do you mean no?

that'd be fuckin EPIC!