Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    So they don't get any moneys for you to download them for free. Yep, every creators dream.
    If addon maker of dbm couldnt live off the revenue from it on curse and needed patreon support when dbm is like the most used addon in the game I highly doubt that anyone is getting more than a pittance from some site hosting their addons. Sure its > 0 but its clearly not much so if you really care about creators support them through direct donations or patreon since add revenue is crapola.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Found the other one!

Why don't you also share the wonders of Bethesda's Creation Club as well?
    Oof, forgot about that one. How anybody thinks they can get away with basically the same thing is beyond me.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Dumped the twitch app for WoWup today, gotta say it's a much faster alternative that's still very easy to use.
    I hope I can keep using it, it seems likely that addon creators will move to a new site if Overwolf locks down Curse.
    Why would they, Curse is paying them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would they, Curse is paying them.
    If they lock down curse from outside scraping access for a monopoly on their addon-manager, it seems likely addon authors will move to a different platform that does allow free scraping.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

I'm sorry for maybe being out of touch but I've never used overwolf, I always used curse/twitch app and I had no problem with the addons whatsoever.

Oof, forgot about that one. How anybody thinks they can get away with basically the same thing is beyond me.
    Yeah, with how badly that went over with people you'd think these guys would be smart enough to not try the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Djibrill View Post
    I'm sorry for maybe being out of touch but I've never used overwolf, I always used curse/twitch app and I had no problem with the addons whatsoever.
    Just a hint , it's better to have chrome with 50 tabs on than overwolf

If they lock down curse from outside scraping access for a monopoly on their addon-manager, it seems likely addon authors will move to a different platform that does allow free scraping.
    Again, why would they? Curse/Overwolf is paying addon creators to host their addons on their site. Sure there are addon creators out there who have no problem with their addons to be download for free from whatever client, but that's surely not the case with everyone.

Again, why would they? Curse/Overwolf is paying addon creators to host their addons on their site. Sure there are addon creators out there who have no problem with their addons to be download for free from whatever client, but that's surely not the case with everyone.
    How much is overwolf paying you

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    So... just like they've been doing for 15 years?
    Going to a website that has ads to download them is not free, nor is using a downloader that is monetized in some way. From what i understand WoWup goes around all that without asking the authors of the mods. Even when overwolf is garbage the creators of the mods need to have the choice of not giving out their shit for free.

Trying to monetize a service that has no viable path to monetization is is the issue. It's an enthusiast driven endeavour, which means people will simply find a way around it, especially since it's so damn easy to do so. They'd be much better served actually working with these other add-on managers and positioning themselves as the big dog. This approach is just going to alienate people and ensure they find alternate paths.

Hey Clozer, do your bosses know how popular Bethesda Creation Club is?

Hey Clozer, do your bosses know how popular Bethesda Creation Club is?
    Curse is the base for over 90% of all addons created and for all addons I personally use. Quite sure they are extremely popular

Curse is the base for over 90% of all addons created and for all addons I personally use. Quite sure they are extremely popular
    That overwolf paycheck must be good

If people stop using stuff like DBM then thats great for the game, that way we'll stop having bosses with 34032857235023 abilities

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    If people stop using stuff like DBM then thats great for the game, that way we'll stop having bosses with 34032857235023 abilities
    So we want more simple boss fights like classic? lol
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

You didn't answer the question.

You didn't answer the question.
    I had no idea what you were talking about. Is that thing another 3rd party addon updater? Or something that has to do with any of this?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the things that I understand very little about and that might have earthshattering consequences.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea what you were talking about. Is that thing another 3rd party addon updater? Or something that has to do with any of this?
    Creation Club basically Bethesda endorsed mods except they come with a price. BGS tried to make all steam workshop mods for Skyrim pay so authors get some money...didn't end well by the community. This creation club is or was said to be "Not paid mods" Which it was in reality but some ppl are Bethesda are idiots. Its not very popular, the community hates it(Well those that play Bethesda games anyways).

Its still around today but people don't like the extra price tag on these mods(Less to do with helping mod authors, they wanted a cut).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi