Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    They are not being scum. And nobody said they had to be making a living off of it. All we have said is that the creators should be paid for their work regardless of whether it is a hobby or not. Extra money is a good thing during these times even if it is just a hobby.

The only scum here are the leeches stealing from a database. They should create their own database and stop stealing.
    You keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    The law disagrees, specially considering the current implementation of the api.
    The law doesn't disagree as the law doesn't allow you to directly steal from others to run your own service.

Overwolf owns it. The addon creators are getting money as they will be paid by Overwolf through ad revenue and ad free subscription payments.
    And if going by past history money that Overwolf get from selling the users information.

I am so glad I invested in a pi-hole server so I can just black hole any ads and info selling. In fact, I think I'm going to buy a backup one because it seems it's going to be busy later this month

You keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means.
    I do know what it means. They are taking something from another company without paying for it. That is stealing. The company being taken from declining to press charges does not mean they aren't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    And if going by past history money that Overwolf get from selling the users information.
    I hate to break it to you, but that happens at every site you visit.

Perfectly sane people agree with them because sane people know stealing is wrong and a crime.
    although https://medium.com/@tjwaterman99/web...l-6bf0e5730a78 it is legal so no

The law doesn't disagree as the law doesn't allow you to directly steal from others to run your own service.
    There is legal precedent against Overwolf, get a grip. Unless they massively alter the api, they're in the wrong. This blogpost is just intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    In the End it comes down to them Changing their API to reflect their new Views. If they do not change it then Overwolf can do nothing about what other addon-managers are doing and are just dogs yelping into the wind. Overwolf is within their rights to change their API and if those other managers are violating it then overwolf can go fuck them hard. It all depends on what overwolf does or doesnt do.

And me personally if they do close down these other options I will just use Ublock, NoScript, and Flash Block and use the website to manually download or ill find alternative addons on wowinterface.
    They obviously are changing their API as they are working on a new app.

- - - Updated - - -

There is precedent against Overwolf, get a grip. Unless they massively alter the api, they're in the wrong. This blogpost is just intimidation.
    They are going to massively alter the API. They are working on a new app for this. You are naive if you think it is intimidation only.

I do know what it means. They are taking something from another company without paying for it. That is stealing. The company being taken from declining to press charges does not mean they aren't.
    I dunno if you are Trolling or are Ignorant so I will try to make this SIMPLE.

CURRENT API = PUBLIC = ALLOW= NOT STEALING. PRIVATE/SEMI-PUBLIC = Restricted or NOT ALLOWED = Theft = Lawsuit

If they are changing it to the later then there is nothing left to discuss in this thread really.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    YOu missed a paragraph:

The decision was a historic moment in the data privacy and data regulation era. It showed that any data that is publicly available and not copyrighted is fair game for web crawlers..

Guess what isn't going to be publicly available anymore? The Curse database. So, it will be illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    I dunno if you are Trolling or are Ignorant so I will try to make this SIMPLE.

CURRENT API = PUBLIC = ALLOW= NOT STEALING. PRIVATE/SEMI-PUBLIC = Restricted or NOT ALLOWED = Theft = Lawsuit
    Guess what isn't going to be public anymore? the database.

You know, you guys can just install Cursebreaker and stop worrying about it, ya?

10+ Year Old Account
    And that is goin to be the FUTURE(if at all) so no..NOBODY IS STEALING ATM.

Technically true except if blizzard wants to yoink it and add it to their game as a feature at which time there is nothing curse or overwolf can do about it.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

YOu missed a paragraph:

The decision was a historic moment in the data privacy and data regulation era. It showed that any data that is publicly available and not copyrighted is fair game for web crawlers..

Guess what isn't going to be publicly available anymore? The Curse database. So, it will be illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

yet the addons are not so yeah

YOu missed a paragraph:

- - - Updated - - -

Then there would be no need for them to create this post, are you that dense? They have not taken a stance on altering it, they're just throwing warnings that have no legal backing.

YOu missed a paragraph:

- - - Updated - - -

Yup but until then it is not theft. So calling them thieves atm is basically slander until the change happens

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    yet the addons are not so yeah
    Except as they are in the databae, they are and that was where those 3rd party sites got them from. So,unless those 3rd party sites create their on database and get each creator to put their addon on their site, they won't have it at all as it will be illegal to take it from Overwolf.

15+ Year Old Account
    The addon makers aren't going to turn down money. Curse is paying them. They aren't going to leave money so people can rip them off for free.
    You dont get it. They are getting more money directly from the community than from some corporate penny handout.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Then there would be no need for them to create this post, are you that dense? They have not taken a stance on altering it, they're just throwing warnings that have no legal backing.
    They created the post to inform the users. It's called communication. If they did it without saying anything you would be screaming even louder than you already are. Hell, you already see how much screaming is done when Blizzard makes a change in game and tells nobody about it(see max level mob scaling). They are telling people ahead of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    You dont get it. They are getting more money directly from the community than from some corporate penny handout.
    And you know that how? Judging by this thread, none of the complainers donate which means the creators aren't making any money at all. We really don't know what they are making from donations and we don't know how things will work in the new app as that hasn't been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    This comparison to cheat codes is so fucking stupid. DBM is not cheating, nor is weakauras,tomtom, and many other addons.
    Cheat codes doesn't necessarily mean you are cheating. If the Developer allows them it's just you making the game easier for yourself and most addons are allowed the fact that Blizzard has disabled several addons because they considered it cheating is a testament to that.

And cheatcodes dont need to be something ridiculously op most aren't. Some just give you X amount of Y instead of Infinite Y. You can make it op by using the code a thousand times.