Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Customization issues that should be fixed

Hey folks, as much as I like the new customization options in Shadowlands, there are some things that I was hoping they would add/fix before launching the pre-patch that I feel are not on par with what they had promised. This thread is made so hopefully the devs can see and deal with them in an upcoming patch.

With Humans I see the most issues, firstly in how strangely random the customzation is when it comes to the different 'ethnicities'. Different skin colours are locked to different faces, making it feel really clunky and restrictive. Not to mention the scars are also locked to what are supposed to be the Asian skin options. Some other races have scars separated, humans should too. I think they really messed up the Southeast Asian eyes, in particular with the females, they just made the eyes look slightly slanted (and blocky) but nowhere near as detailed as it was shown at BlizzCon.

Notice how also the dark brown eye colour is missing. Plus, this is subjective but the make-up options are God awful, surely made by some straight dude who thinks slapping some bright colour on the eyelid is what women consider as proper makeup lol.

Some other things I noticed:

The sockets eye option on all except one of the female Undead's faces have a texture issue that makes the sockets have skin texture inside. It is correctly textured on the male.

How it is vs. how it should look.

Don't know what's up with the gnome hair textures, but they are noticably low-res compared to every other race.

I'd also really love to see the 'Vine' beard option on night elf male to be toggleable, y'know, like the hair. I also don't like how the 'blind' eye option is changed according to what scar you put on. Why restrict this at all?

And what's up with the horde races and their lack of eyebrows?
    Last edited by Complainer; 2020-10-15 at 11:01 AM.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the inconsistency of the customisation.

- Draenei, Orcs and Tauren have options that Lightforged, Mag'har and Highmountain don't have
    - Scars are only available for certain races/genders
    - Male night elves and dwarves get face tatoos, while the Zandalari and Lightforged get useless tatoos that are always covered up
    - Races like Night Elf and Human have TONS of options, while other races have nothing new..

Worgen can only change their human form independently on the character creation, in the barbershop, any changes to the worgen form will affect the human too, and attempts to micromanage the options going back and forth between both forms will make you unable to confirm the changes.

Some hairstyles and beards are textured very differently, to the point of having noticeably different colours.

Eyes should have two dropdowns, instead of one with limited combinations.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Disagree. The relentless heterochromia of anime games is not something we need to encourage, let alone make basically the default. I wouldn't object to adding a "heterochromia" checkbox, but make it very much not the default.

Sucks re: Worgens though, hope they fix that soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Complainer View Post
    SNIP
    Great post OP and pretty detailed. Just have to note, while devs are sometimes seen around here, you can't honestly expect them to be reading every thread on MMOC. Your best bet bringing these issues to their attention is making this post in the official forums. Please post the link once you've done so, so we can make comments there and help visualize the issue.

The leaves in Night Elf hair currently don't have any transparency map applied to any characters that aren't your own.

The inconsistency in hair texture is what bothers me the most. Some of the new gnome options would be great if they didn't look like paste.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The inconsistency in hair texture is what bothers me the most. Some of the new gnome options would be great if they didn't look like paste.
    The difference in hair texture for the old and new hairstyles for humans is also pretty jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Disagree. The relentless heterochromia of anime games is not something we need to encourage, let alone make basically the default. I wouldn't object to adding a "heterochromia" checkbox, but make it very much not the default.

One, it's a fantasy game in which most races have glowing eyes, the heterochromia trope is nothing in comparison. And two, since they've added blind eyes to most races, being able to choose which eye is blind, and what colour the other eye is seems fairly basic. Instead, we have many eye colours, but only a handful of blind+colour combinations. I'm just not sure why they made the effort of changing the way character eyes work, only to provide a weirdly strict and incomplete list of options.

Worgen can only change their human form independently on the character creation, in the barbershop, any changes to the worgen form will affect the human too, and attempts to micromanage the options going back and forth between both forms will make you unable to confirm the changes.

Some hairstyles and beards are textured very differently, to the point of having noticeably different colours.

For the Worgen bug, use left/right arrows to select your human options and it works fine. Obviously a UI bug.

- - - Updated - - -

One issue that bothers me is the Night Elf skin tones look vastly different on females (much darker darks) than males.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    For the Worgen bug, use left/right arrows to select your human options and it works fine. Obviously a UI bug.

- - - Updated - - -

One issue that bothers me is the Night Elf skin tones look vastly different on females (much darker darks) than males.
    Yeah. That really dark skin color with a bluish hue only exists for female NE. That's a shame.

If you go create, or edit a male Orc, there are only four options for "blindness". Blind in both eyes, two versions of blind in the right eye (orange/red seeing) and one version of blind in the left eye (blue only).

The "problem" with this, is when transmogging something like Eye of Rend or any other eyepatch, you cover the seeing eye, unless you choose blind in the left eye. And then you're stuck with only having blue eyes.

It's weird that beards and moustaches became seperate, but the ability to have scars seems to only work for "Asian" humans and now Orcs can't have say green eyes, but also be blind in either eye.

10+ Year Old Account
    i am probably wrong, but will give the benefit of the doubt and say that it seems pretty likely that Blizz simply didnt have time to get all of the customization options done and they will come in future patches...i mean, dang, look at the state of the actual playing game...the expansion that should have been released already isnt even ready, i wouldnt stress too hard or expect to see any customization options addressed any time soon.

I'm mostly surprised at the disparity of options between races. It feels like Night Elves made out like bandits, with tons of really cool customization options. On the flip side, Blood Elves feel like they have next to no customization options.

I'm not terribly surprised that Allied Races didn't get a ton of new options, but it seems exceptionally strange that the Allied races that are just reskins of existing races (Lightforged, Dark Irons, Highmountain, etc...) didn't get the same options that the base race did.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    One, it's a fantasy game in which most races have glowing eyes, the heterochromia trope is nothing in comparison. And two, since they've added blind eyes to most races, being able to choose which eye is blind, and what colour the other eye is seems fairly basic. Instead, we have many eye colours, but only a handful of blind+colour combinations. I'm just not sure why they made the effort of changing the way character eyes work, only to provide a weirdly strict and incomplete list of options.
    It's much worse than glowing eyes, don't be silly.

It's a sad anime trope that every sad anime game seems to love to pieces.

It's not something that should feature prominently in WoW. As for why they didn't provide the option - I'm guessing it's because Blizzard also didn't think it's something that should feature prominently in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post
    The "problem" with this, is when transmogging something like Eye of Rend or any other eyepatch, you cover the seeing eye, unless you choose blind in the left eye. And then you're stuck with only having blue eyes.
    So let me get this straight, you're really mad because you can't make the correct eye show up as blind, when you were intending to hide that blinded eye behind an eyepatch?

I mean there's roleplaying, and there's going too far... Think it through. If you intend to to transmog an eyepatch, unless it doesn't fit (in which case why transmog it?!), it doesn't matter what they eye which is covered, which you can't see, looks like.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-10-15 at 05:59 PM.

So let me get this straight, you're really mad because you can't make the correct eye show up as blind, when you were intending to hide that blinded eye behind an eyepatch?

I mean there's roleplaying, and there's going too far... Think it through. If you intend to to transmog an eyepatch, unless it doesn't fit (in which case why transmog it?!), it doesn't matter what they eye which is covered, which you can't see, looks like.
    Ultimately, it doesn't affect me. I don't RP, I've got no interest in doing so. But at the same time, why not give options for each eye to be "blind"? If I were to RP, I'm now unable to remove my helmet and actually proove my right eye is blind, unless I choose to have blue eyes, as an Orc. Why can't I have yellow, green, brown or red? Don't know! Blizzard seems to think all Orcs are only ever blind in their right eye, so long as those eyes are blue.

It's the same with scars. Why does the damaged eye have to cover only the right eye? Why can't you have an eye scar, burn and a scared mouth?

Again, none of these things really interest me, but to me it feels like Blizzard has done an amazing job, but seemingly stopped about 80-90% of the way. Hopefully, they'll add in the extra eye options and flipped facial features. As it stands right now, creating a new character is miles ahead of what it used to be, but still falls just a little bit short because of the arbitary restrictions, put in place for seemingly no real reason.

Honestly, several options look rushed / unfinished. They wanted to get this pre-patch out asap although it would have been better to work more on those customization options. And yes, several races are severely lacking options compared to others.

I just think they ran out of time or ideas and said: f* it, we release it anyway.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

I want scars for Pandaren.

This is a must.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is how blizzard saw they drop the ball and knew they could not deliver what they promised, wasted too much time pampering elves in their bullshit and doing nonsense systems for shadowlands.

lets see if they will do like they sai they would, continue to add customizations a long the expansion go, but knowing they have to fix the game between patchs

I would say the things that most infuriate me are:

- The 3 new troll hairstyles have a weird shit dual color that you can't change, if you took red hair it stay some blue for no fucking reason
    - no grimtotem tatoos for taurens but some tattoos that look plagiarized from the highmountain
    - you can barely see orcs scars
    - orcs, trolls and taurens are missing tons of skin options, orcs missing blackrock and dragonmaw, trolls missing forest and ice troll color
    - worgens without a proper full black fur

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I just think they ran out of time or ideas and said: f* it, we release it anyway.
    definitely out of time, cause there is hundreds of ideas on the forums and they didn't half of then

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again, none of these things really interest me, but to me it feels like Blizzard has done an amazing job, but seemingly stopped about 80-90% of the way.
    I mean, to me that describes about 99% of character generators (well, not amazing, but like, however good they are, they stop 80-90% of the way to where I'd want them to be.

Hopefully, they'll add in the extra eye options and flipped facial features. As it stands right now, creating a new character is miles ahead of what it used to be, but still falls just a little bit short because of the arbitary restrictions, put in place for seemingly no real reason.
    I'd certainly like to see more options, but I think putting in loads of extra eye options is about bottom of the list. It's one of the least-visible parts of the character for most races (the non-glowing-eye kinds), and they already have a ton of options. The blind-eye options are likely to be used by less than 1% of players, based on other games, whereas the various non-blind options will all likely see much more use.