Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It's really simple. I pay for this game every time an expansion releases. I also pay a monthly subscription. These costs should cover the game's costs and development. Any item/mount/transmog/whatever put into the store is something that could have been put into the game with a piece of content attached. The new transmog? Could've been from an achievement or questline. Instead, it's in the shop and you just buy it. It's possible content removed from the game for the sake of making money, which I dislike.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    no mtx should exist in any paid game period :8
    If people didn't buy them, it wouldn't.

People do buy them, so they do.

Welcome to capitalism.

You know, I don't really care much one way or the other, given that it's something that's easy to ignore, but I have to wonder what would drive someone to defend this sort of thing. It's not really the sort of thing that needs defending.

Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    You know, I don't really care much one way or the other, given that it's something that's easy to ignore, but I have to wonder what would drive someone to defend this sort of thing. It's not really the sort of thing that needs defending.
    Welcome to modern tribalism.

People have too much of their identity tied up with the things they do or enjoy. And so you're either with them or against them.

Never liked store mounts, just seen as a shameless cash grab it does not have a place in a game where we paid 50 initially for the original game and additional 40-60 for every expansion on top of 15 a month or up to 180 dollars a year. They already taken enough money as it is.

Every single store item and mount can be put into the game without being put into a cash shop behind a drop, achievement or quest. The dreadwake can easily qualify for a Glory of the Dazar'alor Raider over a recolor of the cobalt pterrordox, The grinning reaver can be a faction rep mount for the Laughing Skull for example. The services are forgivable but not the ingame cash shop. Unfortunately the poster are the same exact people that encourage blizzard to push the bar lower to release interesting mounts as a store only and leave us with recolors of horse number 76. Blizzard is not a free to play studio, they aren't an indie company. No one should be defending this.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Then you know some very rich people. The vast majority of the playerbase has yet to see even their first million gold sitting there waiting to be spent. Sure, you may have been spending that on repairs, but most have not gathered enough gold to HAVE 1 million.

That's so wrong on so many levels. It's not about being lazy, it's about playing the game differently and for different reasons. And if it WAS earnable through some ingame event/puzzle/achievement, a lot of people would be able to earn it, even if lazy as hell. But since it's not earnable ingame, you cannot say for sure that lazy people wouldn't get it. You have nothing to back up your point. Many people go out of their way to do stuff they wouldn't normally do, simply because it rewards them with something they want. I personally don't like PVP, but I sure as hell did my towers back in Legion to get marks so I could buy transmogs with them. I don't give a damn about honor and ranks and pvp rewards, I just wants mogs.
    Your first point is irrelevant. It's just a requirement to be met for something that most don't want to bother with. I mean we had Mythic only items, that were removed from the game once the new expansion/patch made the old content irrelevant. I recall some mumbling about prestige items and such but nothing to the degree of this BS. Since the token, all store items are earnable in game. It matters not, that most don't have that kind of gold. All the whiners have an avenue to earn said items they bitch about being on the store. Go earn your gold and buy them.

So the first hole in the greedy Bli$$ard argument was when they made all pets and mounts account bound back in 2012, 2 years after the Celestial Steed hit the store. So players only have to buy it once, not multiple times if they want to use them on multiple characters. Sure seems like a gold mine they are walking away from by making them all account bound. Hole two was when they added the token and allowed you to purchase shop stuffs as well as other Blizzard non WoW stuffs. So now you don't even need real currency to buy these things. Seems like another good source of income they are leaving on the table by allowing you to earn them in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hyeonh View Post
    Never liked store mounts, just seen as a shameless cash grab it does not have a place in a game where we paid 50 initially for the original game and additional 40-60 for every expansion on top of 15 a month or up to 180 dollars a year. They already taken enough money as it is.

Every single store item and mount can be put into the game without being put into a cash shop behind a drop, achievement or quest. The dreadwake can easily qualify for a Glory of the Dazar'alor Raider over a recolor of the cobalt pterrordox, The grinning reaver can be a faction rep mount for the Laughing Skull for example. The services are forgivable but not the ingame cash shop. Unfortunately the poster are the same exact people that encourage blizzard to push the bar lower to release interesting mounts as a store only and leave us with recolors of horse number 76. Blizzard is not a free to play studio, they aren't an indie company. No one should be defending this.
    Ahh yes, someone who doesn't work for Blizzard and probably doesn't understand how businesses work, knows all about Blizzards budgets and priorities and assumes it's just a shameless grab for cash. About 20% have been charity items where they got no revenue from, Again, as stated above, they are all account bound. If this was all about greed they would not be account bound. But to their business, do you know how much overhead Blizzard has? What their operational costs are? What types of expected revenues they are asked for? Or how much goes to Vivendi at the time, or AB? Yes they bring in a ton of money and it costs a ton to develop and maintain the game. But to the core of the mounts. It started with a charity pet. Then devs wanted to make some fun pets and mounts in their spare time.

You greedy types would have a point if this was like PoE where everything in game looks like shit, but everything sold on the shop has all the glowies, particle effects, and special animations and such. Facts are, some mounts and pets do, as do many in game. There's also only like 20 of each in a 10 year period. Hardly seems like a cash grab. Maybe if you had one or two every month or every patch. But that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    So unless you're a corrupt guild leader who steals all the gold, those funds are presumably meant for purchasing guild-items for progression: BOEs, consumables, etc. And not to buy cosmetics from the cash shop.

I mean, if you've got a bunch of raid-ready friends who are willing to run carries so you buy that stuff, I guess? That's seems like an extreme niche case, however, and not really a good counter argument to the things being discussed here.
    I'm guessing you've never been in a guild that regularly does sales or any of that as this is very off base. Especially since BFA where things like gallywix really took sales to extremes.

Or they're trying to also add pressure towards the token. It's a pretty standard tactic in F2P games and the mobile market to slow progression down to a point where the cash option becomes more appealing. It seems blatant to me, but I suppose someone will roll out a defense of blizzard just being a business struggling to make money as a small indy company.
    AFAIK the token value adjusts to demand, if people have less gold they're not going to be able to buy the token with said gold which will drive the price of the token down.

But I guess automatically going to the evil company card is more fun. Blizzards been hella disappointing the last few years but I'm not that level of cynical yet.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

I've always hated it when companies go out of their way and try to sell you extra things after you already paid a full price for the product, and then realise that this could have been content that should have been part of the product you bought. This is not just the case with WoW, it all started when games introduced cash shops and microtransactions outside of F2P games and try to exploit their customers to double dip into their wallets. Whether it be skins or power upgrades, they are both a cancer that cheapens the base game as you don't even get everything after paying a full price for it.

With WoW it is even worse because you also pay for expansions and a sub fee. I'm not a fan of some of their services like the character boosts but at least I can see a reason for it to exist, even if it means cheapening the leveling process. But for cosmetics I just don't see why it needs to be put into a store while the game is all about collecting them all, so its just there for Blizzard to tripple dip and exploit their leftover fans as much as they can. And the stuff on the store has had a lot more work put into it than most of what you can collect in-game with hard earning challenges and other grinds. The ears for example have special gaps in their new transmog to stick out while other sets like the heritage armor earned in-game still have a lot of clipping issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post

Ahh yes, someone who doesn't work for Blizzard and probably doesn't understand how businesses work, knows all about Blizzards budgets and priorities and assumes it's just a shameless grab for cash. About 20% have been charity items where they got no revenue from, Again, as stated above, they are all account bound. If this was all about greed they would not be account bound. But to their business, do you know how much overhead Blizzard has? What their operational costs are? What types of expected revenues they are asked for? Or how much goes to Vivendi at the time, or AB? Yes they bring in a ton of money and it costs a ton to develop and maintain the game. But to the core of the mounts. It started with a charity pet. Then devs wanted to make some fun pets and mounts in their spare time.

You greedy types would have a point if this was like PoE where everything in game looks like shit, but everything sold on the shop has all the glowies, particle effects, and special animations and such. Facts are, some mounts and pets do, as do many in game. There's also only like 20 of each in a 10 year period. Hardly seems like a cash grab. Maybe if you had one or two every month or every patch. But that is not the case.

Wow, I don't know where to start with this nonsensical and complete failure of a response, the irony of it too calling people against the cash shop being greedy is also showing your own lack of knowledge.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Blizzard isn't a charity, it's a business.
    I hope you understand that businesses can take actions to try and maximize profits, but those actions can still be decidedly anti-consumer.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Because it's cosmetic item after cosmetic item that could've been used as rewards for achievements, "secrets" and everything else INSIDE the game.
    Instead of these interesting mounts, pets and cosmetic items we get the same recololored bullshit over and over again. Instead of each class getting their own "raid set look" we've ended up sharing inside armor, instead of having mythic+ achievements give out pieces of cosmetics that combines to a full set they get nothing.

I don't mind pets being put out for charity events and so on, I really don't. Likewise with promotional pets from other games, but that's where it should stop. We already pay $15 per month and $60+ for the game, having to pay $20 for mounts and other cosmetic items that blizzard developed while we already paid for everything in the expansion.

Imagine ordering a pizza with pepperoni and cheese, you agree a price of $20. When the pizza delivery guy gets there he asks for $30 because they used a more expensive cheese blend, what are you going to pay for the pizza? I'm sure as F not paying more than advertised!
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

5+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Because it's cosmetic item after cosmetic item that could've been used as rewards for achievements, "secrets" and everything else INSIDE the game.
    Instead of these interesting mounts, pets and cosmetic items we get the same recololored bullshit over and over again. Instead of each class getting their own "raid set look" we've ended up sharing inside armor, instead of having mythic+ achievements give out pieces of cosmetics that combines to a full set they get nothing.

I don't mind pets being put out for charity events and so on, I really don't. Likewise with promotional pets from other games, but that's where it should stop. We already pay $15 per month and $60+ for the game, having to pay $20 for mounts and other cosmetic items that blizzard developed while we already paid for everything in the expansion.

Imagine ordering a pizza with pepperoni and cheese, you agree a price of $20. When the pizza delivery guy gets there he asks for $30 because they used a more expensive cheese blend, what are you going to pay for the pizza? I'm sure as F not paying more than advertised!
    this this is why

Wow, I don't know where to start with this nonsensical and complete failure of a response, the irony of it too calling people against the cash shop being greedy is also showing your own lack of knowledge.
    Yes you got nothing then. Figured.

- - - Updated - - -

Ignoring the cosmetic items after mounts, after titles, and toys, and pets that were. Your pizza analogy is not even close to being similar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    It just kinda feels shit when the game says that you can grind in real life to get in-game rewards.
    What people don't understand is you can grind in the game, buy a token with gold, right click and turn it into $15. So there's really no reason except it's probably more efficient to buy it with real money than spend the time grinding.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Literally everything not explicitly about or created on mmo-champ is off site lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

No, they are giving you the pizza that you paid $20 for. You're effectively asking why they can't put in other toppings. Pizza store will ask for an additional charge for the toppings but your response is "I paid for a pizza".
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Your first point is irrelevant. It's just a requirement to be met for something that most don't want to bother with. I mean we had Mythic only items, that were removed from the game once the new expansion/patch made the old content irrelevant. I recall some mumbling about prestige items and such but nothing to the degree of this BS. Since the token, all store items are earnable in game. It matters not, that most don't have that kind of gold. All the whiners have an avenue to earn said items they bitch about being on the store. Go earn your gold and buy them.

So the first hole in the greedy Bli$$ard argument was when they made all pets and mounts account bound back in 2012, 2 years after the Celestial Steed hit the store. So players only have to buy it once, not multiple times if they want to use them on multiple characters. Sure seems like a gold mine they are walking away from by making them all account bound. Hole two was when they added the token and allowed you to purchase shop stuffs as well as other Blizzard non WoW stuffs. So now you don't even need real currency to buy these things. Seems like another good source of income they are leaving on the table by allowing you to earn them in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Except....most of the in game shit DOES look like shit in WoW if it's not part of the cash shop. They put unique mounts, pets, and transmog on the store then put recolors of the same bull shit as earnable in game. So it is like PoE. If you're not willing to throw extra money around, have fun with the same mount recolored numerous times or the occasional new skin slapped on that doesn't even remotely hide that it's just a skin slapped on an existing mount.

Yes you got nothing then. Figured.

I had to step away, now where to address, you just might have a point for some early stuff but the more recent ones are quite the opposite. Typically that's just a PR move for charity we ultimately don't know the true amount goes into the charity or towards its intentions or how much they actually get. The most recent scandal with the tournament prize pool where they've manipulated the userbase about the contributions and quietly withdrew their original support. What else have they lied about?

And so what if they are account bound, that should never excuse it being locked behind a paywall. We're paying for this game, it's expansions and subscriptions anyway so at least give us the opportunity to work towards it inside the game, not externally via cash transaction. I also seriously doubt it can cost as much as you believe it will. They already make plenty of money. likely many folds the amount it costs to maintain the game itself. The sole exceptions to this would be Blizzcon or physical products with codes like the tcg or plushies.

People like you are the reason Blizzard has gone downhill, enabling such practices and defending it harder than any Inquisitor from the Imperium of man defending their Codices. It enables them to see what they can get away with.
    Last edited by Hyeonh; 2020-10-25 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    But I guess automatically going to the evil company card is more fun. Blizzards been hella disappointing the last few years but I'm not that level of cynical yet.
    God dammit. Why is it that every time someone cites regular anti-consumer business practice, some jackass always tries to hand-wave it away with "T3H EV1L CORPORATION!".

I'll take my infraction. Sick of people defending or rationalizing this garbage. It's not evil, it's greedy and anti-consumer. But I suppose you LIKE it when stuff like this is in the game? Fuck off. Really. So sick and tired of people thinking it's fine when the gaming world is on fire.

Even if I'm overreacting or reading too much into it, Blizzard fucking deserves every ounce of it.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-10-25 at 08:27 AM.

I had to step away, now where to address, you just might have a point for some early stuff but the more recent ones are quite the opposite. Typically that's just a PR move for charity we ultimately don't know the true amount goes into the charity or towards its intentions or how much they actually get. The most recent scandal with the tournament prize pool where they've manipulated the userbase about the contributions and quietly withdrew their original support. What else have they lied about?

And so what if they are account bound, that should never excuse it being locked behind a paywall. We're paying for this game, it's expansions and subscriptions anyway so at least give us the opportunity to work towards it inside the game, not externally via cash transaction. I also seriously doubt it can cost as much as you believe it will. They already make plenty of money. likely many folds the amount it costs to maintain the game itself. The sole exceptions to this would be Blizzcon or physical products with codes like the tcg or plushies.

People like you are the reason Blizzard has gone downhill, enabling such practices and defending it harder than any Inquisitor from the Imperium of man defending their Codices. It enables them to see what they can get away with.
    I don't know anything about any tournament stuffs since I have no interest nor follow any of it, so I cannot comment. Businesses always look for additional revenue streams, it doesn't mean they are greedy. If an employee asks for a raise does that mean they are greedy? Everyone always wants more. I would agree with you if there were a constant barrage of pets, mounts, and cosmetics being added to the store. There just isn't. It's just about 2 a year. and for the last 5 years they have been purchasable via in game means.

It's no secrete I owned a lawn care business. If someone just wanted a season of lawn fertilization, was I greedy to make them pay for grub protection? What about a perimeter pest application? I mean they are already paying for their regular lawn care. I just don't get this. This is normal business add ons, or even premium products/services. Yet only here, even though this happens way worse in FF14 and barely a stink is made, does this get shit on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Except....most of the in game shit DOES look like shit in WoW if it's not part of the cash shop. They put unique mounts, pets, and transmog on the store then put recolors of the same bull shit as earnable in game. So it is like PoE. If you're not willing to throw extra money around, have fun with the same mount recolored numerous times or the occasional new skin slapped on that doesn't even remotely hide that it's just a skin slapped on an existing mount.
    I disagree. I only think one mount looks better than the ones I normally use in game and that was the arcane cat thingy.