Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G - any good

Hey! Thinking of a new desktop and I need your help. I am not an expert, budget is about 1500 euro and I am looking for a nearly optimal performance to price. Not a video content creator, streamer, or a 24/7 gamer so a good performance in my eyes is probably average in someone else's.

Is Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G good enough for a good gaming performance? https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/...en-5-pro-4650g
    I will be playing WoW solely, but maybe at some time Football Manager.

If yes - is overclock recommended or even necessary? What other parts of the build would you pair well it? While this AMD is somewhat budget choice right now with idea to upgrade in 2 years, my intent is to go with a good quality parts - a high-end motherboard that is able to support Zen 3 and PCle 4.0/5.0 without a problem, DDR5 RAM etc. The monitor is quite important too, I definitely want a good one that is very forgiving to the eyes. In terms of brands, I think ASUS, Corsair and others of similar quality.

If not - what would you recommend at the moment?

The other option is to raise the budget a bit and go for a dedicated Palit GeForce 3070 RTX 8GB Gaming Pro (maybe?) but with what CPU and other parts?
    Is the gain even worth the money in comparison with the 4650G?

Also somewhat keen on something like MSI Trident 3 10s, nice design but unsure about quality. Is it possible to fit a custom build inside a console-like case?

The 4650G isnt that bad but i couldnt play with that, i would go for 1660 Super if you just play on a 1080p Monitor.
    RTX 3070 wont be easy to find and i would go with a 3 Fan version like the MSI Trio also this GPU his overkill for wow alone.
    You can fit a custom build inside a Consol like case but its nothing for casual builder.

But i would go for a Mini ATX Build instead since its way easy to build and its quieter and runs not so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    The 4650G isnt that bad but i couldnt play with that, i would go for 1660 Super if you just play on a 1080p Monitor.
    RTX 3070 wont be easy to find and i would go with a 3 Fan version like the MSI Trio also this GPU his overkill for wow alone.
    You can fit a custom build inside a Consol like case but its nothing for casual builder.
    But i would go for a Mini ATX Build instead since its way easy to build and its quieter and runs not so hot.
    Thanks! I had followed your advice and gave up on the 4650G. Maybe it is good for budgeting and for a home desktop but not for a comfortable gaming.

The 5600X is already out, maybe I should stick to it. I will be going for the following, PCle 4.0 compatible from what I see.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
    GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 5700XT 8GB OC Gaming
    Mother: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wi-Fi
    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Patriot Viper Steel 3600
    SSD: 500GB SSD Corsair Force MP600
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black
    PSU: 750GB GIGABYTE AORUS AP750GM
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini
    Display: 27" ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ
    + Razer Ornata Chroma and Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed on discount

Honestly, it goes up to 2000+ Euro given the local pricing. Not sure if I am keen on spending this amount.

Is there a part of the build that is currently overpriced on the market in terms of price-to-performance metrics?

P.S. I noticed the sub-forum for PC builds, will post the thread therein.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of this seems over the top for what you're doing.

It may be worthwhile waiting for the 5600, or even like a 5300 or something. Since you were looking at the 4650G originally, thats a huge jump.
    There are just as good cheaper motherboards
    32gb ram is not necessary.
    There are cheaper, better, bigger NVME SSDs
    There are cheaper and just as good PSUs

You could probably shave a few hundred off without much trouble
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Something like this is quite a bit more balanced:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vcNt8J

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($89.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($88.99 @ B&H)
    Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Phantom Gaming D OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.49 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $1163.43
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-06 18:45 EST-0500
    Im not sure what your locality is (apparently not the US), so... If you can let us know we can try to find prices based on your locale.

You mentioned wanting PCIe 5.0 compatability - this is literally impossible since the spec isn't being used for consumer boards at all. On top of that, this PC is likely to need to be replaced due to various *other* reasons before PCIe 4.0 means anything to you. Its literally lipstick on a pig at this point for consumers/gamers. There's no real world benefit. That being said, this board has PCIe 4.0.

Same with DDR5 RAM. No current motherboard is going to be compatible with DDR5. Is not just a number upgrade - voltages, pins, etc all change. Not to mention we're unlikely to see DDR5 for consumers for 3-5 more years anyway, at which time you might be looking to replace this thing anyway.

THere is no future-proofing the CPU either. This is the last set of chips to run on AM4. Zen 4 (or Zen 3+, or whatever they call it) will be on a new socket.

Youll notice i didn't include a CPU cooler - the included cooler is fine. You can swap it for something beefier if its too loud for you, but the stock cooler will keep the CPU cool just fine.

For the monitor.. meh. Seems fine. Its VA so its not as clean as an IPS, but better colors than a TN. An IPS would cost a lot more, and a TN wouldn't save you much. Its Freesync (and G-sync compatible, so if you ever get an nVidia card, itll frame-sync there too, at least as long as you use Display Port).

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A lot of this seems over the top for what you're doing.

It may be worthwhile waiting for the 5600, or even like a 5300 or something. Since you were looking at the 4650G originally, thats a huge jump.
    There are just as good cheaper motherboards
    32gb ram is not necessary.
    There are cheaper, better, bigger NVME SSDs
    There are cheaper and just as good PSUs

You could probably shave a few hundred off without much trouble
    Yeah, you are right. Honestly, I am slightly confused and I feel like I am going to over-spend at least a few hundred without making use of them. I don't even care about tiny details, 1080 vs 1440 vs 4k (whatever 4k is, I don't even know how it feels and care much about it).

Simply looking for a build that is upgradable every few years with a very solid and fluid 60 fps High quality WoW or FM2021 at a good monitor with all the top eye-care tech for a few hours per day. That's it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Something like this is quite a bit more balanced:

Im not sure what your locality is (apparently not the US), so... If you can let us know we can try to find prices based on your locale.

You mentioned wanting PCIe 5.0 compatability - this is literally impossible since the spec isn't being used for consumer boards at all. On top of that, this PC is likely to need to be replaced due to various *other* reasons before PCIe 4.0 means anything to you. Its literally lipstick on a pig at this point for consumers/gamers. There's no real world benefit. That being said, this board has PCIe 4.0.

Same with DDR5 RAM. No current motherboard is going to be compatible with DDR5. Is not just a number upgrade - voltages, pins, etc all change. Not to mention we're unlikely to see DDR5 for consumers for 3-5 more years anyway, at which time you might be looking to replace this thing anyway.

THere is no future-proofing the CPU either. This is the last set of chips to run on AM4. Zen 4 (or Zen 3+, or whatever they call it) will be on a new socket.

Youll notice i didn't include a CPU cooler - the included cooler is fine. You can swap it for something beefier if its too loud for you, but the stock cooler will keep the CPU cool just fine.

For the monitor.. meh. Seems fine. Its VA so its not as clean as an IPS, but better colors than a TN. An IPS would cost a lot more, and a TN wouldn't save you much. Its Freesync (and G-sync compatible, so if you ever get an nVidia card, itll frame-sync there too, at least as long as you use Display Port).

Thanks for the build, I like it and it really seems balanced. All of these parts are also available at the local suppliers.

I am in the EU (BG), the reference pricing is Amazon Deutschland. There is no 300$ Ryzen 5600X here, it's 430 Euro (local supplier offer is 350 Euro)
    https://www.amazon.de/AMD-Ryzen-5-56...s%2C186&sr=8-8

Updated by swapping to the German PcPartsPicker

There's no price in the system for the 5600X since it is OOS, so add the 430 to the price below:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zg2PVc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€137.49 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€102.70 @ Computeruniverse)
    Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€93.95 @ Senetic)
    Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Phantom Gaming D OC Video Card (€395.70 @ Computeruniverse)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€42.12 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€83.75 @ Computeruniverse)
    Total: €855.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-07 01:59 CET+0100
    Only change was a swap from the SeaSonic FOCUS 650W to the CORE 650W. Ive never seen the CORE branding from SS before, but i cant imagine its bad (its SeaSonic after all, though every company does occasionally have a dud). So, with the 430 Euro for the CPU, you're looking at ~1300. Plus monitor/peripherals.

You could step it down to a 3600 variant to save a pretty decent amount of cash:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/q9sTJf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.00 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€137.49 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€102.70 @ Computeruniverse)
    Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€93.95 @ Senetic)
    Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Phantom Gaming D OC Video Card (€395.70 @ Computeruniverse)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€42.12 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€83.75 @ Computeruniverse)
    Total: €1054.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-07 02:04 CET+0100
    You can even drop that another 20 Euro by going to the "plain" 3600, but for my money, the extra 20 is worth it to get the much higher boost clocks on the XT.

They also sell a "WiFi" variant of the motherboard (literally just "MSI MAG B550M Mortar WiFi" that has a WiFi/Bluetooth NIC in it, for only 10E more, if WiFi is something you might need, its a good Intel NIC that actually costs more than 10$ if you try to buy it yourself and will perform better than -most- USB dongles as well (until you get into USB dongles with multiple antennas and a long cable to reposition them, etc,and those are 30+ US)

If you're worried about the diference in power between the 3600/XT vs the 5600XT... dont be. Yeah, the 5600 might end up being 20% faster....

But 20% faster than "already doing well over 100fps" is still... "well over 100fps"....so IMO, im not sure its worth the extra cost.

IF it were going to be the difference between playable and not or even "over 100fps" and "under 70fps"... then maybe. But for the reasonable life of this machine, the 3600XT will provide plenty of horsepower.

Thats a question only you can answer though, but for my money, the 3600XT (at only 20E more than the 3600) is a much better buy and will still do high-refresh-rate gaming for the reasonable life of the machine. Yeah, the 5600X may get you "even more"... but is it that relevant?

Up to you.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-11-07 at 01:12 AM.