Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Anyone else annoyed by how pointlessly gendered some of the shit in WoW is?

I know this has been an issue for a while now - partly because of WoW's ancient engine and how they haven't bothered to modify it and add something like, for example, a muscle / weight slider for player races - but here's a more recent example that really bugs me for some reason.

So, the Centurions in Bastion, right? They're these constructs that also happen to be gendered. Fair enough, gendered constructs are fine and all. But my problem lies with the fact that they follow the exact same "gendered builds" problem as biological races, where the males are ALL Goliathes - these big, bulky beefcakes -

while the females are ALL Praetors - slender, lithe, and even have the ability to fly via their wings.

At least with player races, you have the excuse that they're just built like that on a biological basis, and the outliers just aren't represented in-game (with a few exceptions, such as Kul Tiran humans). But unless there's a legitimate reason for why this is the case that I just happened to miss... Why the hell are completely artificial machines physically gendered this way? Why isn't there a single female Goliath? Why isn't there a single male Praetor?

It just makes no sense to me, especially considering how "progressive" WoW claims to be as of late

Edit: Fixed screenshots I think?
    Last edited by Skirdus; 2020-11-08 at 02:54 PM.

Why is this a problem?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Why is this a problem?
    Because this is a company known for emphasizing their attention to detail and "Blizzard polish" is something they brag about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sliders isn't something I think the engine can do.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Because this is a company known for emphasizing their attention to detail and "Blizzard polish" is something they brag about.
    How does this go against that exactly? There's not a gendered version of every single model. Earliest example is there's no super skinny Kultiran model.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Anyone else annoyed
    Not even one tiny bit.

And your links don't work.

We should also be able to switch our character's voices from female to male or vice versa. Like in Cyberpunk.

I dunno the lore behind these constructs but assuming their creation process is defined by some other being they could be defined as gendered the way they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    But unless there's a legitimate reason for why this is the case that I just happened to miss... Why the hell are completely artificial machines physically gendered this way? Why isn't there a single female Goliath? Why isn't there a single male Praetor?

It just makes no sense to me, especially considering how "progressive" WoW claims to be as of late
    Because creators of these constructs made them so. Imagine them as "Model Mk I", being bulky and tanky, and "Model Mk II" is a mobile and flying; and they didn't felt like it to put twice as much effort into making them look slightly different, while still being of the same model
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I mean, if you think of an Angel, what gender are you thinking about?
    Sure, in the bible there are male Angels, but generally Angels are depicted as female or at least very feminine. Or as little naked babies, but let's ignore those...
    So since Warcraft is copying world settings from mythology all the time it makes sense, that their copy of the christian heaven is inhabited by creatures that are similar to christian Angels, which, again, are pictured in most (present or past) media as feminine.

I can't see your screenshots

Would be nice if the screenshots worked.

I love it. I enjoy beautiful things that take familiar forms.
    Beats having just some floating spheres or glowing amorphous things or some weirdly shaped monstrosities.

Now weird monstrosities could be cool too, in addition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I mean, if you think of an Angel, what gender are you thinking about?
    Sure, in the bible there are male Angels, but generally Angels are depicted as female or at least very feminine. Or as little naked babies, but let's ignore those...
    So since Warcraft is copying world settings from mythology all the time it makes sense, that their copy of the christian heaven is inhabited by creatures that are similar to christian Angels, which, again, are pictured in most (present or past) media as feminine.
    That part really depends, some depictions are borderline eldritch horrors, like an angel with 4 faces and half of these faces are animals
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

SJWs cannot into screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    How does this go against that exactly? There's not a gendered version of every single model. Earliest example is there's no super skinny Kultiran model.
    The Kul Tirans have a skinny model for males because regular female humans are already skinny, and to go even further than that would border on anorexic. There's a reason people have been asking for them as a player model option.

And this isn't about adding "gendered versions" of every model. Literally all they have to do is make at least one of the Praetors male and one of the Goliaths female and it's no longer an issue in the slightest

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im am WAY more concerned about classes having issues than "gender roles"

It's a freakin game on a different planet. Not everything has to think in Human Terms.

Literally all they have to do is make at least one of the Praetors male and one of the Goliaths female and it's no longer an issue in the slightest
    I don't think it's an issue now.

The Kul Tirans have a skinny model for males because regular female humans are already skinny, and to go even further than that would border on anorexic. There's a reason people have been asking for them as a player model option.

And this isn't about adding "gendered versions" of every model. Literally all they have to do is make at least one of the Praetors male and one of the Goliaths female and it's no longer an issue in the slightest
    There are 3 male human models and 2 female human models, technically +1 for each gender for the fat short pirate and Ashvane.

Also this isn't an issue, at all.
    Last edited by Pebrocks The Warlock; 2020-11-08 at 03:02 PM.