Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does Shadowmourne even exist in Canon?

So Shadowmourne lore wise was an idea whipped up by the Ebon Blade to create a weapon that could potentially match Frostmourne. It used Arthas' hammer as a base, a ton of saronite, would become more powerful with each soul is stole, and is even forged with fragments from the Frozen Throne itself. While it may have never been as powerful as Frostmourne, it shared many of its features. It truly was a powerful weapon, and gameplay reflected that.

However, after ICC ended and Cata started, there is no mention of Shadowmourne. The DK class campaign doesn't mention it at all, and in fact frost DK's forge two mini frostmournes themselves during Legion. But those swords had a lot of it's energy absorbed away from Sargeras' sword, and with SL coming up, you would think Shadowmourne could potentially be a useful weapon against the Jailer and Sylvanas. Yet neither Darion nor Bolvar acknowledge it's existence, brining up the question if Shadowmorne even existed at all in lore.

So is Shadowmorne a canon weapon still you think? Or was it the case of blizz wanting to create a long process of making a very powerful weapon in Wotlk's conclusion? Do you think Shadowmorne could show up in some way in SL in the future?

Definitely not, and the Blades of the Fallen Prince aren't either. The story ends when Frostmourne got shattered and that's it.
    Also we now know Frostmourne was a weapon with the Maw powers (mostly due to the runes engraved on it), there's no way any other weapon can match that.

The same thing happens when you ask who killed N'zoth.

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    Definitely not, and the Blades of the Fallen Prince aren't either. The story ends when Frostmourne got shattered and that's it.
    What makes you think the Blades of the Fallen are noncanon? All of the artifact weapons are canon, a few of them have even reappear after Legion.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    There’s really no way to tell if any legendary baring thuderfury are canon none of them have had any expanded lore not even a mention in chronicles which would be the place to answer the question.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-11-17 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    There’s really no way to tell if any legendary baring thuderfury are canon none of them have had any expanded lore not even a mention in chronicles which would be the place to answer the question.
    If you did the Fangs of the Father questline during cata, during the very early stages of the leggo cloak quest for mop, Wrathion mentions how you worked with him before and how he was happy to see you. So the Fangs are possibly canon, or at the very least, the entire questline that rogues did in cata is Canon. Same could be said for the staff in Firelands since that involves Kalec becoming the de facto leader of the Blue Dragonflight.

5+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft: The Eastern Kingdoms: Exploring Azeroth

“ For over 25 years, World of Warcraft has offered a land rich in mystery and wonder. Now players can get an in-depth look at the artifacts, gear, weaponry, and trinkets they have collected...and some they might not have just yet. ...”

It will be blizzard first book that will cover items. So they may make one for northrend too

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    If you did the Fangs of the Father questline during cata, during the very early stages of the leggo cloak quest for mop, Wrathion mentions how you worked with him before and how he was happy to see you. So the Fangs are possibly canon, or at the very least, the entire questline that rogues did in cata is Canon. Same could be said for the staff in Firelands since that involves Kalec becoming the de facto leader of the Blue Dragonflight.
    The assassination of the other black dragons at wrathion‘s command is canon but the fangs them selfs I don’t believe are ever referenced so they would be in the questionable state with the others.

The fire lands staff on the other hand might be like thunderfury and be canon but I’ve never actually done it or looked into it as I don’t play casters so I can’t honestly say I know if the item existing matches up with the blue dragon being alive or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    World of Warcraft: The Eastern Kingdoms: Exploring Azeroth

“ For over 25 years, World of Warcraft has offered a land rich in mystery and wonder. Now players can get an in-depth look at the artifacts, gear, weaponry, and trinkets they have collected...and some they might not have just yet. ...”

It will be blizzard first book that will cover items. So they may make one for northrend too
    Ah I totally missed that his book was suppose have into on items and stuff I’ll have to pick it up.

I'd say yes, because it isn't the only other ridiculous god-tier weapon that is MIA. IE, we didn't use the Axe of Cenarius--you know, the only weapon that has ever harmed Sargaras--in the freaking Legion expansion, but it is still canon. (And yes, we know where it is and who has it currently, it isn't lost.)
    Last edited by Firefall; 2020-11-17 at 06:17 AM.

It's canon. It wasn't instrumental in the taking down of the Lich King which could explain why it stayed relatively low-key. It's just another really powerful weapon in the possession of the player.

I would assume it's canon. It's a quest in the game. It doesn't come up because they don't assume who has it. With exception of Atiesh, which went to Khadgar, and Xal'atath, which went to Wrathion, I don't think they ever ruled what happened to the legendaries after their expansions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    I would assume it's canon. It's a quest in the game. It doesn't come up because they don't assume who has it. With exception of Atiesh, which went to Khadgar, and Xal'atath, which went to Wrathion, I don't think they ever ruled what happened to the legendaries after their expansions.
    Thunderfury went to a dwarf who had it until legion where the shaman order hall retake it but that’s about it.

Thus far Shadowmourne seems to be the only weapon that was retconned out of the lore.
    The other legendary weapons either had a lore owner (sulfuron, thunderfury, warglaives,...) OR are too insignificant to matter (fangs, staff of blue dragons, cloaks from MoP,...)

Artifacts however are all still very much canon; albeit most of them were made obsolete at the end of legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Thus far Shadowmourne seems to be the only weapon that was retconned out of the lore.
    The other legendary weapons either had a lore owner (sulfuron, thunderfury, warglaives,...) OR are too insignificant to matter (fangs, staff of blue dragons, cloaks from MoP,...)

Artifacts however are all still very much canon; albeit most of them were made obsolete at the end of legion.
    Where was it retconned? I haven't seen anything mentioning it one way or the other, so I assume the PC DK still has it in canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Thunderfury went to a dwarf who had it until legion where the shaman order hall retake it but that’s about it.
    I had forgotten about that one! Thanks for bringing it up.

Where was it retconned? I haven't seen anything mentioning it one way or the other, so I assume the PC DK still has it in canon.
    Ok my bad; i always thought it was crafted from shards of frostmourne... but it was actually just the shards of the frozen throne.
    What makes you think it's in the hands of the PC DK?
    (it does thematically fit a DK, i give you that, but it could as well be a warrior or paladin weapon)

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course it's canon. Everything within the game is canon until blizzard goes out and tells otherwise. It's ridiculous that some people here seem to think our player characters or their achievements are not existing within their own "headcanon" lol.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

5+ Year Old Account
    I think that the (depleted) Ashbringer ended in Maxwell Tyrosus' custody, but I'm not really sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Isnt the WoW game canon? I mean barring any "lmao this is clearly a joke do not take this seriously" quest of course. Kind of hard to advance the plot of like 500 legendary items. Easy just to believe the weapon is in the hands of some nameless adventurer.

I see no reason to assume that it isn't, though it's possible that the player doesn't canonically possess it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Of course it's cannon, it's just really not that powerful. It's made of saronite and icecrown stuff, its nooo where near as powerful as frostmourne made by the runecarver in the shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    So Shadowmourne lore wise was an idea whipped up by the Ebon Blade to create a weapon that could potentially match Frostmourne. It used Arthas' hammer as a base, a ton of saronite, would become more powerful with each soul is stole, and is even forged with fragments from the Frozen Throne itself. While it may have never been as powerful as Frostmourne, it shared many of its features. It truly was a powerful weapon, and gameplay reflected that.

However, after ICC ended and Cata started, there is no mention of Shadowmourne. The DK class campaign doesn't mention it at all, and in fact frost DK's forge two mini frostmournes themselves during Legion. But those swords had a lot of it's energy absorbed away from Sargeras' sword, and with SL coming up, you would think Shadowmourne could potentially be a useful weapon against the Jailer and Sylvanas. Yet neither Darion nor Bolvar acknowledge it's existence, brining up the question if Shadowmorne even existed at all in lore.

So is Shadowmorne a canon weapon still you think? Or was it the case of blizz wanting to create a long process of making a very powerful weapon in Wotlk's conclusion? Do you think Shadowmorne could show up in some way in SL in the future?
    Would be neat to see it mentioned, but it's a weapon literally made of light, void, death and likely a bit of Kil'jaeden's magic through the ice of the throne.
    I don't think any of the groups or entities in the Shadowlands would approve of uts existence, let alone its entry into the Shadowlands.

I would treat it as the elemental lords' weapons: consider it lost or depowered after its expansion.
    Or reclaimed, as i imagine in the case of Val'anyr and the blue dragon staff.

But i gotta admit that it is easily the most... lore-y of all legendaries (barring atiesh perhaps), so it'd be neat to see them pick it up a little.

I could imagine that the ebon blade kept it or locked it away for safekeeping after the events of WotLK, perhaps it had grown too hungry or something after the fall of the lich king.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.