Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    Which is pretty vague, it might as well be as abysmal as the revenue Spotify gives to its artists for all we know.
    Seems good enough - millions of addons are on curse and not on wowinterface for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Seems good enough - millions of addons are on curse and not on wowinterface for a reason.
    What reason do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Problem is, they haven't heard that the other software on their computer does it or that the websites that they visit do it Saying "they do" isn't enough, you have to make it an issue like people have done with Overwolf lol.

- - - Updated - - -

You probably don't know the answer to this and that's ok because I'm not really asking you just talking But how does that work? Is it 70% of ad revenue / how many addon devs there are? What if I have [number more than 1] addons do I get that many more payments? Or is it just 70% of the revenue from the users that came to their site? It isn't just site revenue though is it? It also includes the client ad as well right? How does that work? It can't be evenly split can it? DBM has millions of users but if I post an addon and 3 people use it I shouldn't get 70% of ad revenue should I?
    So far from Overwolf, authors did get nothing. Transition is taking quite a bit of time and soon they will send last payouts from twitch. Curseforge already confirmed it will work in a simillar way it worked so far. Each day author gets points based on how much traffic on the servers(mostly downloads) your addons have generated. If you collect enough points you cen exchange them for paypaly payouts or amazon giftcards. So that 70% of the revenue will get split between authors depending on how popular their addons are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    "Mod authors get 70% of the app’s revenue"
    As explained above you don't know what that actually entails.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

No you shouldnt use it if you value your privacy and want to spare your computer of malware & spyware.

There are way better lightweight alternatives to use:

https://wowup.io/
    https://www.getajour.com/
    https://minion.mmoui.com/
    https://github.com/AcidWeb/CurseBreaker
    https://github.com/layday/instawow
    If you value your privacy and such you should get off the interent entirely. Your stuff has been taken already from everywhere else you go. Using OVerwolf or not isn't going to change anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think CurseForge sharing revenues with addon makers is a great gesture and a reason why it's by far the best wow addon hosting platform.

The pickle is of course Overwolf's bad reputation, I certainly would not mind twitch-like addon manager with adds that stay just there in that window and not pop as some intrusive overlay or some other such thing outside that addon app window, it is a fair proposition - the problem is things I don't see.

Their carefully worded PR release does not inspire much confidence, they do trade in data and this "no more selling of data to companies including research they don't feel "internally comfortable with"" is as non-binding as it gets, for all I know "internal comfort" threshold might just be some that is smoothed by $$.

We do live in times where just about every service provider does this shit one way or another, but at least for some corporations like Google, Ms and such - the stakes for failure are high. Overwolf? Unconvincing.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    If you value your privacy and such you should get off the interent entirely. Your stuff has been taken already from everywhere else you go. Using OVerwolf or not isn't going to change anything.
    I am using a VPN while browsing and am fairly conscious compared to most about the information you can allow your PC to collect.

If I have the choice of using an app that doesnt collect information and sell it I will likely use that other option, but thanks for your opinion.

For someone in their 30's wh's genuinely tired of cancel culture and excessive online reactions I will be using Overwolf CurseForge for at least the near future. The alpha build has the best functionality for what I currently want (auto-updates and a good addon search functionality) and I'm happy with how it performs. I have always just started my mod manager, pressed update all and then closed it regardless of which one I use so the fact that it has a higher memory footprint and uses more CPU than WoWUP is not an issue. The ads don't exactly trigger me or take up any valuable space either to be honest.

Call me a shill or whatever you like, I'm not the least bothered by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    lmao. You ain't ever getting on my PC then.
    They say nonintrusive. LMAO. I have turned on ads here and let me tell the owners of Curse.

I won't be turning it back off.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    This timing could not be more wrong. Let us hope wow interface can provide to be a good alternative. Even if this was planned ahead of time this shows to how little overwolf is connected to the wow community and their addon needs.
    It might not be their choice. Contracts usually state the timeframe that something has to happen and getting Amazon/Twitch to renegotiate isn't always something a smaller company can do. Is it dumb? Certainly. If the expansion was not delayed then this wouldn't be a big deal.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

It is WoWUp or Ajour (if it catches up to WowUp) for me. No more Twitch crap on my computer ever since. And I also removed the TukUI client which is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You people tweet 8x a day and live on facebook and IG, but yeah sure let's act like Overworlf is the secret NSA collecting all your datas for nefarious purposes

If you're so worried about your "data" then destroy that little electronic brick you got in your pocket.
    Slow down on the assumptions there, I have neither Twittter FB or IG myself.

Thats besides the point anyway, people are free to be critical of obviously fishy companies regardless.

Why not use CurseBreaker? I find it very handy and working well...

5+ Year Old Account
    Maybe at this point Blizz should have add-on support tab on their battle net app.

I'd rather update addons manually than install overwolf.

You people tweet 8x a day and live on facebook and IG, but yeah sure let's act like Overworlf is the secret NSA collecting all your datas for nefarious purposes

If you're so worried about your "data" then destroy that little electronic brick you got in your pocket.
    It''s ironic that everyone rages against Overwolf about this but have absolutely no problem with all the other sites they do go to that do the exact same things. They aren't protecting anything from not using Overwolf because their data has already been sold by every other site they go to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    For someone in their 30's wh's genuinely tired of cancel culture and excessive online reactions I will be using Overwolf CurseForge for at least the near future. The alpha build has the best functionality for what I currently want (auto-updates and a good addon search functionality) and I'm happy with how it performs. I have always just started my mod manager, pressed update all and then closed it regardless of which one I use so the fact that it has a higher memory footprint and uses more CPU than WoWUP is not an issue. The ads don't exactly trigger me or take up any valuable space either to be honest.

Call me a shill or whatever you like, I'm not the least bothered by it.
    Yeah the ones raging about the high memory footprint are the ones who don't understand that you can shut it down when not in use and leave it running all the time. I turned it on, downloaded my addons and turned it right back off. Very easy to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    They just announced cursforge will be down from release of shadowlands until "early" december
    That is the full functionality of it. You will still be able to download addons and use it that way. The only thing you won't be ale to do is upload your addons.

- - - Updated - - -

I am using a VPN while browsing and am fairly conscious compared to most about the information you can allow your PC to collect.

If I have the choice of using an app that doesnt collect information and sell it I will likely use that other option, but thanks for your opinion.
    Your data has already been taken. The only way to protect yourself from that completely is not being on the internet at all.

10+ Year Old Account

But muh dataz...

Yeah, you have a point, but then your aforementioned platforms have a bit more accountability than some random smallish noname company with niche customer base and questionable business ethics to begin with.

Even besides that who knows what they harvest and store there, in what form and how secure is that data.

Overwolf is gaming Facebook - stay away. I really hope they dont ruin Wowup, but that seems to be what they'll move towards doing.
    And shepherds we shall be...

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not make the claim that Facebook has more accountability than anybody if I'm honest
    While that is true, the reason Overwolf got a bad name is not because of the data it gathered on their application but due to the nature of being an 'overlay' software it gathered information from places like Teamspeak3 among others.

They also make a vague promise in where they are to be trusted as the arbiters of good ethics when it comes to selling data. If it is something they have done before out of need or greed, nothing prevents them from doing so again. It reeks more like a case of regret being caught than anything else.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

I think at this point in time we should just create a new addon repository. It's not even that hard, except for the people that make it hard for you (like people that upload viruses as addons)