Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So then your argument holds no water. It can't be a bad time if no addons need to be updated at launch. And yes popular developers will have their addons updated for Beta or Pre-patch. Most people get into beta eventually and Blizzard does target popular developers and streamers for such things. Of course you can will use whatever excuse you want that still doesn't mean it works.
    Yawn... top #3 downloads on CF is "popular" enough for you? No, I didn't had beta for Legion. As I've already said higher on the thread, don't just imagine how it works, go to authors forum and ask actual authors.

I said addons "aren't critical" for authors or even players - it's not like authors lose anything or players can't find other way to update them or simply bear without new version for a week. But they're pretty critical for OW+CF new business as they actually plan to make money from this. And missing opportunity to hook people at the time when players are most actively return to game and update addons is pretty critical. I think you're the only one in the thread who don't get it, because I'm not the first one who already noted above that it isn't the wisest move.

It wasn't supposed to be this close to release. That is something you seem to overlook. Overwolf and Amazon decided on a date long ago. Changing things with contracts and stuff isn't always easy to do. Something you should know if you are as knowledgeable as you claim. The game was delayed. Should a better contingency have been in place? Sure.
    No, it is precisely because I know how it works. When you have half year advance notices, you set up zero DT migration months in advance so the only thing you need to do on day X is to flip final switch. This is exactly what you do so you don't need to worry about "changing things with contracts" or even meteorite falling on former service owner data center before they transferred data to you. "Multi-million dollar companies have downtime" with unplanned stuff or human error, not with something decided half-year in advance.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    I said addons "aren't critical" for authors or even players - it's not like authors lose anything or players can't find other way to update them or simply bear without new version for a week. But they're pretty critical for OW+CF new business as they actually plan to make money from this. .
    But that is a contradiction for your claim of important to Overwolf. If it isn't critical and the consumers of the product can go without a new version for a week then there is no risk to Overwolf. They don't need to hook players because those players don't have a critical need to be hooked during that week according to you. Of course it isn't the wisest move. The problem isn't over it being wise or not but over you stupid reasons that conflict.

It is also amusing how you say updating addons is pretty critical in the first week of the game while also saying that addons are not critical for authors or even players. You can't have it both ways.

Also considering this tweet, https://twitter.com/TheOverwolf/stat...474254856?s=20, it seems like it is an issue with Twitch that they are actively trying to work with to minimize the downtime. Weird how what I said, being out of their control or as part of the terms of sale, might actually be reality?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-11-18 at 03:27 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZaer View Post
    Reality is we'd just have to convince addon authors to also use github, pull from github, and everyone wins.
    Oh you sweet summer child. Nobody wins, everyone loses, good luck trying to scan updates for 10000 repositories, good luck registering your repository, good luck making actual client for this.

The only way everyone wins is where people stop spreading nonsense and use official client or just download addons manually if they dont like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    What makes Cursebreaker so much better? Sell it!
    Easy and fast to use. People are intimidated to use it because it doesn't have a GUI and they think it's hard to setup. In reality it's really easy to setup Cursebreaker.

- Place the Cursebreaker.exe into the folder with your WoW.exe

- Run Cursebreaker.exe (You can make a shortcut)

- If it's your first time using Cursebreaker you will need to enter two commands into the screen. "Import" which will find all the addons you have installed. Then once it has found all your addons you then type into the screen "Import Install"

That's it. Then to update your addons from there you will simply click on the Cursebreaker.exe and it will update everything automatically. It takes maybe 10 seconds for it to update my 20 addons. Plus side is that it also pulls updates from the ElvUI/TukUI website. So if you use that UI for WoW you never have to manually update it again.

I don't really get the problem. The new app is easy to use. Is fast and does what it needs to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    I use Ajour, no problems at all here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    So annoying but pretty much standard for any service these days. Not that that's a good thing mind you just expected

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Easy and fast to use. People are intimidated to use it because it doesn't have a GUI and they think it's hard to setup. In reality it's really easy to setup Cursebreaker.

- Place the Cursebreaker.exe into the folder with your WoW.exe

- Run Cursebreaker.exe (You can make a shortcut)

- If it's your first time using Cursebreaker you will need to enter two commands into the screen. "Import" which will find all the addons you have installed. Then once it has found all your addons you then type into the screen "Import Install"

That's it. Then to update your addons from there you will simply click on the Cursebreaker.exe and it will update everything automatically. It takes maybe 10 seconds for it to update my 20 addons. Plus side is that it also pulls updates from the ElvUI/TukUI website. So if you use that UI for WoW you never have to manually update it again.
    Nice, can you use it to browse other addons as well? I might try it out, sounds very lightweight too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Oh you sweet summer child. Nobody wins, everyone loses, good luck trying to scan updates for 10000 repositories, good luck registering your repository, good luck making actual client for this.
    You are aware that Github* already has a robust set of APIs that can be used to query repositories, right? From this, you can search repositories, you can query tags on those repositories, which can be used to denote version and things such as beta vs. release/candidate build, and you can download code from Github( via the API, etc. The only thing which could be a problem are (1) Github ToS might not allow this, or (2) it could be difficult to have addon developers standardize their naming conventions to make repositories easily searchable via wildcard expressions/regex. The idea of querying for repositories in a system made for querying repositories is not some abstract, far out concept, it's pretty simple to make; however, the problem will primarily be the onboarding of addon developers and whether there's a will within the addon development community to actually develop a system like this.

The only way everyone wins is where people stop spreading nonsense and use official client or just download addons manually if they dont like it.
    This is not a solution to people's problem. This is not understanding the problem people have and smugly telling people that their problem isn't a problem. Many people who use these clients do so to simplify addon management. Many play multiple games and use addons for these various games, using addon managers to manage them, notify them when a new version is ready for download, etc. Saying the equivalent of "Lol, use the the client or shut up" is not particularly constructive nor helpful to people.

*Edit: Github autocorrected to Git.
    Last edited by Magical Mudcrab; 2020-11-19 at 01:12 AM.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    You are aware that Git already has a robust set of APIs that can be used to query repositories, right?
    Dude I host my addons on github, no, you are very naive thinking you can use that. Yes I've used github api. Nope, client that would connect to github wont work.
    I don't even want to explain it since you clearly didn't use it even once.

And yes it is a solution because problem doesn't exist anywhere except people's minds. It isn't a problem. Just use the client is the solution.

I wish more addon developers used Git. That way I can just script an update as I do with ElvUI. I just jump out to a command prompt and clone the repository and move it into WoW. Takes all of 10 seconds maybe.

I mean, I never use addons but this just sounds like they're trying to make some extra money for themselves and some for the creators. Still, I'd never trust this based on reputation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dude I host my addons on github, no, you are very naive thinking you can use that. Yes I've used github api. Nope, client that would connect to github wont work.
    I don't even want to explain it since you clearly didn't use it even once.
    I'm fairly sure you're unsure what you're referring to, as it seems as though you think the Git protocol and Github's APIs are synonymous. They are not. Mr. Github does not own the Git protocol.
    Git is a protocol made by Linus Torvalds and is a generic protocol used by a number of services (Github, Gitlab, Bitbucket, etc.).
    Github is a file hosting and source control management service which uses Git. Github has two types of API: (1) the "private" APIs, which has some endpoints and functionality which does not need authenticated, used for Github applications which includes Github Apps and Github OAuth Apps, (2) is a public API which is accessible via their forms (i.e.: search, etc.) and generic APIs that don't require authentication. This is why I mentioned the Git ToS, as I'm unsure of what their terms of use for the public APIs are, given they have certain limitations imposed on their private APIs (i.e.: previously they've had strict stances against crawling repos). Using Git's APIs to query for and download repositories is not some fantasy or some radical idea. It's basically how the 3rd party addon applications work, just instead of targeting an addon host, you target Github.

And yes it is a solution because problem doesn't exist anywhere except people's minds. It isn't a problem. Just use the client is the solution.
    This is the silliest thing that I've seen said in the thread. Every instance in which convenience is the main problem just exists in people's minds. Just because you do not consider something to be a problem does not mean it is not a problem to someone else.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

What I don't understand is why did Twitch do this. They do realize that a lot of people use their Twitch app for the addon functionality? And they probably will loose a lot of app users. At least they lost me, even though I really liked the app. I just uninstalled mine, I don't need the damn app if it can't update my addons as it did until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrxes View Post
    What I don't understand is why did Twitch do this.
    Money?

What else did you think?

I'm fairly sure you're unsure what you're referring to, as it seems as though you think the Git protocol and Github's APIs are synonymous. They are not. Mr. Github does not own the Git protocol.
    Honestly dude? I've been working with git for over 10 years now. Used all hosting websites like github, bitbucket, gitlab (current). Used their APIs because we have tool in company that tracks peoples commits.

I'm unsure of what their terms of use for the public APIs are, given they have certain limitations imposed on their private APIs (i.e.: previously they've had strict stances against crawling repos). Using Git's APIs to query for and download repositories is not some fantasy or some radical idea. It's basically how the 3rd party addon applications work, just instead of targeting an addon host, you target Github.
    And? You realize you can't used git itself when it comes to addons beacuse of packager and have to use releases instead? How will you track versions inside TOC files without dedicated host site, how will you overcome api rate limits? Where will you host addon licenses and/or descriptions? Have anyone to use it make account on github?
    And lastly how will you convince addon devs to stop receiving money from adds?

Please, this idea is dead on arrival.

This is the silliest thing that I've seen said in the thread. Every instance in which convenience is the main problem just exists in people's minds. Just because you do not consider something to be a problem does not mean it is not a problem to someone else.
    Because it's not a problem, just a tinfoil hat delusions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly dude? I've been working with git for over 10 years now. Used all hosting websites like github, bitbucket, gitlab (current). Used their APIs because we have tool in company that tracks peoples commits.
    Using their public APIs, you can search, look at tags, download files, retrieve the content of specific files, etc., without the requests being associated to a specific user. This isn't using the Github App API, their OAuth API, or any other authenticated API. These requests can be done with a simple cURL from your terminal.

However, I believe I might see where this miscommunication might have started... I reviewed my initial post and see that Github seems to have been autocorrected to Git. So, to clarify, I am referring to Github and its APIs, not Git.

And? You realize you can't used git itself when it comes to addons beacuse of packager and have to use releases instead? How will you track versions inside TOC files without dedicated host site, how will you overcome api rate limits? Where will you host addon licenses and/or descriptions? Have anyone to use it make account on github?
    And lastly how will you convince addon devs to stop receiving money from adds?
    I will grant you that there are issues with using a Github solution, I never said it was perfect or wouldn't need workshopped. I'm aware addons have a, albeit minor, build process using scripts like those provided by Bigwigs in their packager script with the person's preferred CI tool; however, CI tools can create new Github releases and these can be queried and downloaded via any tool that can perform GET requests. Licenses can be retrieved via GET requests on the repository, accounts wouldn't be needed because you are querying unauthenticated, public APIs, etc. From what I can tell, most problems that can be brought up with the idea can be resolved with some creative problem solving.

Again, I don't have every solution to every question that could possibly be asked about the system available on-hand. If I had dedicated enough time in order to resolve every single possible problem with the system, or find fatal flaws in it, this would not be a discussion, there would be a PoC.

Please, this idea is dead on arrival.
    If you think the idea is not practical, that's fine; however, that's markedly different than it not being technically feasible.

Because it's not a problem, just a tinfoil hat delusions.
    You not considering something to be a problem and something not being a problem are not the same thing. Many people do not just play WoW with one or two addons installed that they know off by heart, they play multiple games with many addons installed to customize their experience. Them wanting to use an addon manager and the existing solutions not meeting their needs is not a non-issue because lol just do everything manually, it's a market failure to meet their needs.
    Last edited by Magical Mudcrab; 2020-11-19 at 01:52 AM.

Wowup is looking good all of a sudden

You not considering something to be a problem and something not being a problem are not the same thing. Many people do not just play WoW with one or two addons installed that they know off by heart, they play multiple games with many addons installed to customize their experience. Them wanting to use an addon manager and the existing solutions not meeting their needs is not a non-issue because lol just do everything manually, it's a market failure to meet their needs.
    And there is already existing manager for overwolf. If you refuse to use it once a month that is a you problem.

I don't use Overwolf, but I'm seeing a lot of FUD and some outright lies to discourage more people from using it.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals