Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My mom trying to describe a fat chick: "She has a cute face."
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Most of those are damning with faint praise.
    isn’t that the point of the thread?

That's usually an expression of gratitude; saying "thank you."
    sometimes. and sometimes its used in place of fuck you, you stupid bumpkin. depends on context and tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    They are the best if you like bj's haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Around some places..words like "hefty" or "strapping" are sometimes used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any time someone compliments you on your looks, when you didn’t ask or put yourself up for it.

It’s a generally bullshit tactic of trying to position themselves over you. Giving them power.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The line, “s/he has a great personality” comes to to mind

10+ Year Old Account
    Around some places..words like "hefty" or "strapping" are sometimes used.
    It's especially funny since it's coming from a sweet little Asian lady.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    still not a compliment. because it still puts people down in attempt to prop me up. all or some - doesn't matter. I do not need or want this bullshit. you want to compliment me? compliment ME. don't bring other people into it. (and before you try to strawman me - "you are not like other guys" is just as bad "and so is "you are not like other people")
    I suppose it depends on the context. Most people are idiots. If I tell you you're not like most people, then it's most definitely a compliment.

as for losing weight as a compliment, unless you know that the person you are trying to "compliment" is deliberately losing weight? its not a compliment. "best" case scenario, you are feeding their insecurity, worst case scenario - they might be losing weight cause of sickness.
    While I can understand your point in regards to sickness or for someone who's not overweight, generally it's used to recognize a positive weight loss. If the person is or was overweight, it's a compliment. Complaining about it in such a context is akin to the nonsensical drivel about asking a woman's age being considered "rude". It's just stupid.

and telling someone to smile is an imposition, NOT a compliment. they will smile if they have something to smile about, a compliment would be "you have such a lovely smile" WHEN they are smile, because it doesn't tell anyone to do anything they haven't already chose to do among other things.
    Technically true and thus, doesn't belong in this thread. /shrug

It's also an expression of disgust or a lack of intelligence. As I mentioned earlier, most of this shit is contextual and largely depends on how much of an oversensitive twat the person complaining is.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Any time someone compliments you on your looks, when you didn’t ask or put yourself up for it.

It’s a generally bullshit tactic of trying to position themselves over you. Giving them power.
    Anecdotes aren't indicative of generality. Sounds like you need to stop hanging out with cunty people.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2020-11-18 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

So if somebody compliments your new haircut, it couldn’t possibly be a sincere gesture intended to make you feel good, it must be some sort of manipulative tactic designed to “position themselves over you”. I would feel sorry for you if you are really this cynical but I can’t even follow your logic, how would complementing someone’s looks put you above them?

They're called backhanded compliments, Chicken Drummer. Not that the OP is going to read any of this, he spams the same shit on multiple forums and never takes part in conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I usually don;t agree with you but I agree with you on this"

This has usually led to many 'err thank you?' moments :P

"I didn't know your people could be so smart"

10+ Year Old Account
    You're the bollocks, IS a compliment of the highest order. Not sure it's understood outside the UK though.

Err no. The phrase has multiple meanings. It can be used as a sincere expression of sympathy or genuine concern. It can be used as a precursor to an insult to soften the blow. It is also sometimes used to mean "you are dumb or otherwise impaired, but you can't help it" by individuals who wish to "be sweet” and do not wish to "act ugly"

Maybe saying "thank you and you tried but couldn't get it done".

"Wow, you look so pretty with make-up on!".

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I suppose it depends on the context. Most people are idiots. If I tell you you're not like most people, then it's most definitely a compliment.

While I can understand your point in regards to sickness or for someone who's not overweight, generally it's used to recognize a positive weight loss. If the person is or was overweight, it's a compliment. Complaining about it in such a context is akin to the nonsensical drivel about asking a woman's age being considered "rude". It's just stupid.

Technically true and thus, doesn't belong in this thread. /shrug

It's also an expression of disgust or a lack of intelligence. As I mentioned earlier, most of this shit is contextual and largely depends on how much of an oversensitive twat the person complaining is.

Anecdotes aren't indicative of generality. Sounds like you need to stop hanging out with cunty people.
    why is that so hard to just say "wow, you are pretty smart" or whatever else and still keep other people out of it?

again, unless you know they are losing weight on purpose just don't really bring it up, maybe? and I didn't mean that in regards to just not overweight people. there are better compliments to give.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    why is that so hard to just say "wow, you are pretty smart" or whatever else and still keep other people out of it?
    It isn't. But there are people who get triggered by such things so it's a great way to expose their bat shit.

again, unless you know they are losing weight on purpose just don't really bring it up, maybe?
    If they're so sensitive about it, they deserve to be offended.

and I didn't mean that in regards to just not overweight people. there are better compliments to give.
    Acknowledging weight loss to someone who's overweight is literally the best compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    It isn't. But there are people who get triggered by such things so it's a great way to expose their bat shit.

If they're so sensitive about it, they deserve to be offended.

Acknowledging weight loss to someone who's overweight is literally the best compliment.
    I get it. you deliberately give people backhanded compliments, becasue you do not want to actualy compliment them, or have them feel good.

because its either that or you are breathtakingly obtuse and I do not think its the second one.

"You look the same!"
    "You look completely different!"

Either one is people noticing your appearance when they shouldn't be judging in the first place!