Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Nintendo asks brands to keep politics out of Animal Crossing

Animal Crossing: New Horizons launched back in March, and since then, brands have jumped into the cozy virtual world to do everything from releasing streetwear to organizing voters. Now, however, Nintendo has decided to implement some rules that restrict some of what companies can do in the game. That includes keeping things family-friendly, not using Animal Crossing as a marketing tool, and, most notably, keeping politics out of the game. You can find the complete rules here.

“While our services and products are generally for personal use only, we understand there may be situations in which businesses and organizations would like to use or reference the game in relation to their business,” Nintendo says. “As such, we would like to share a few guidelines with those businesses, organizations, and anyone representing them, to preserve the experience for the millions of people enjoying the game recreationally.”

“Please also refrain from bringing politics into the game.”
    Many of the rules are to be expected. Animal Crossing is an E-rated game, so it makes sense that Nintendo would ban content that would be “considered vulgar, discriminatory, or offensive.” Similarly, the company says that “you are not allowed to obtain any financial benefit from using the game (including selling your custom design or earning any advertising revenue with the game content),” which is pretty typical with how Nintendo operates.

The most surprising restriction, though, is when Nintendo says to “please also refrain from bringing politics into the game.” This would presumably include things like the elaborate virtual headquarters made by the Joe Biden campaign ahead of this year’s US presidential election. Nintendo says that the only way to get around these rules is “with the separate and express, written permission of Nintendo.”

“If we see your activity is not following these guidelines or is damaging or having bad influence on the community, we may ask you to stop such activity or usage of our contents, and take appropriate actions, including prohibiting your future business usage of the game,” Nintendo continues.

Future political campaigns might have to stick with Among Us.
    Sort of follow up to a story that from earlier in the year. Campaigns had started to use virtual spaces to spread their message, one in particular was Animal Crossing. Animal Crossings environment allows for brands to prop up virtual environments for to curious to explore and interact with the brand.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4add...ncial-services

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Med...in-US-and-Asia

While some applauded this new form of outreach, others werent so on board with it. Looks like Nintendo agreed with the latter and also doesn't want third parties to use its platform as another soapbox, asking organizations to keep their politics out of their games.

Fair? Censorship? Stopping innovation?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...ng/ar-BB1baHuh
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-11-20 at 04:06 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Censorship?
    It's not censorship if you sign the Terms of Service, in which you promise not to do certain actions, then do them anyhow, and get punished for it.

It's also not kidnapping when the police take you to jail for stealing.

Please stop equating "they enforced the terms of service" to censorship. That's not a rational angle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's not censorship if you sign the Terms of Service, in which you promise not to do certain actions, then do them anyhow, and get punished for it.

Please stop equating "they enforced the terms of service" to censorship. That's not a rational angle.
    I don't think that word means what you think it means. "Censorship"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I think I know what it means just fine. I think if you sign a contract saying "I will not do certain things" then do those things, that's you breaking a contract, not censorship. Especially considering Animal Crossing can only block content that takes place on Animal Crossing. And you will not change my mind on the topic.

Don't like it, don't play Animal Crossing.

Did any of those articles say they were going to push a new ToS with this no politics language, or are you just making that up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Did any of those articles say they were going to push a new ToS with this no politics language, or are you just making that up?
    I...read the OP, so, the real question is, why are you asking me this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I know what it means just fine. I think if you sign a contract saying "I will not do certain things" then do those things, that's you breaking a contract, not censorship. Especially considering Animal Crossing can only block content that takes place on Animal Crossing. And you will not change my mind on the topic.

Don't like it, don't play Animal Crossing.
    Well you're not a very open minded person, and you seem to only be here to rage about... Something, but I'm not entirely certain what it is. So goodbye.

I...read the OP, so, the real question is, why are you asking me this?
    I also just read the OP, nothing about "signing a ToS" as you claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also just read the OP, nothing about "signing a ToS" as you claim.
    *ahem*

"You can find the complete rules here"

The OP linked the MSN article he quoted, which in turn, leads directly to it. Not that you need to do that, the phrase "You can find the complete rules here" handles the heavy lifting for you, seriously it was the very first paragaph of the post, I'm surprised you missed it.

*ahem*

"You can find the complete rules here"

The OP linked the MSN article he quoted, which in turn, leads directly to it. Not that you need to do that, the phrase "You can find the complete rules here" handles the heavy lifting for you, seriously it was the very first paragaph of the post, I'm surprised you missed it.
    How does "you can find rules here" translate into signing a ToS?

There being rules, and signing a ToS, are different things.

10+ Year Old Account

I didn't call it censorship. It an open question. I discussed my concerns when organizations first started using the game (and others) to spread their message.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    In what meaningful regard? Either the rules require behavior and you agree to abide by them or face punishment, or there is no punishment. Either way, not censorship.

That, and Nintendo itself has terms of service, which yes, you do have to sign.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I didn't call it censorship. It an open question.
    And if you have shown us a picture of a loaf of bread and asked us if it was meat, it would have been the same thing.

If there are rules you need to follow to play, and you don't follow those rules, it's not censorship when you're called out for breaking the rules.

I'm pretty sure legally they are very much the same thing. I'm not a lawyer though.

I think it speaks volumes to how much people are accustomed to just click the agree button, and not read a singular word. Because almost any digital media, you have to check a box that says you agree with the ToS before it lets you use it.

And yes, that includes updates to the ToS.
    Last edited by Howel; 2020-11-20 at 06:28 AM.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

man, how many times do people here need to remind you that censorship isn't applicable when talking about Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Nintendo, etc and so on.

You sign/click a ToS to use their services.

If they take down, boot you, delete your account, etc and so on, that's because it's their intellectual property.

It's not censorship if I kick you out of my house for being a racist prick. You're free to go to the next house or down the street and spout your racist diatribe.

tldr;
    If Nintendo doesn't want politics on their games, then don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Freedom of speech only really applies to whether the government is able to take legal action against you for saying certain things, not whether a business can boot you off a platform if you use it to soapbox about politics.

Facing consequences as a result of breaking a ToS of a business for a product they're selling isn't censorship.

It's their platform, so it's within their rights to make this change. You may disagree, and voice your concerns, but I think calling it censorship only serves to make the word lose it's meaning.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Freedom of speech only really applies to whether the government is able to take legal action against you for saying certain things, not whether a business can boot you off a platform if you use it to soapbox about politics.

Facing consequences as a result of breaking a ToS of a business for a product they're selling isn't censorship.
    Most of you in this thread don't understand the definition of censorship, so we can hardly have a discussion until that's been cleared up.

https://ncac.org/resource/what-is-censorship

Nintendo here is allowing censorship. They are well within their legal right to do so. But it is still censorship.

5+ Year Old Account
    Most of you in this thread don't understand the definition of censorship, so we can hardly have a discussion until that's been cleared up.

https://ncac.org/resource/what-is-censorship

Nintendo here is allowing censorship. They are well within their legal right to do so. But it is still censorship.
    What are YOU trying to discuss because your first post was just questioning someone’s understanding of the word censorship.

1. A company expanding its ToS isn't automatically legal or enforceable simply because the company says it is. Funnily enough, companies aren't gods (yet) and their word is not an unbreakable covenant. I find all too often people here like to pretend this is the case whenever a company does potentially dodgy something they agree with.
    That said.

2. I very much doubt this particular example is an instance of the above and anyone REEEEing about "MUH KULTCHA WAR" is just click-baiting.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?