Thread: State of Retri

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

State of Retri

Hi guys, sorry to bother you all, i've quit wow with BFA cause i've found it personally very boring and i'm trying to lurk a bit but i've found no real answer for now.
    What's the state of Retri for SL? i'm honestly torn between Retri and DK Frost and i would like to hear from you.
    I apologize in advance for any grammar mistake and thank you for your answer/patience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ret is looking to be a very solid pick. Anecdotally, the spec feels much better to play during SL prepatch than it did for the first few months of BfA.

Iven Hart, a mythic raiding youtuber, placed the spec as 'A tier'. Not quite 'S tier', probably due to their mobility. But the big reason they are good is that - assuming you take Seraphim, Execution Sentence and Final Verdict - Rets now have a variety of burst windows. You can line them up or spread them out, depending on the fights. Also, these burst talents are here to replace abilities that are now baseline.

So overall, the spec is better because there are more options.

thanks for the answers guys, i'm just worried about having a mid-low tier dps with a "clunky" feel spec

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I hate the most is that none of the Covenants impress me. It's not the damage aspect but they're all just so underwhelming that it really takes a lot of the excitement out of this flavor of borrowed power which we'll use for the next two years.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    What I hate the most is that none of the Covenants impress me. It's not the damage aspect but they're all just so underwhelming that it really takes a lot of the excitement out of this flavor of borrowed power which we'll use for the next two years.
    Divine toll is pretty dope
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Pick Kyrian if you’re not a meta slave and you’ll have a blast in all content, haste is always good- mastery slightly better/equal on sustained aoe fights and crit generally devalued unless you run with the Blade of Justice legendary. I’ve so far loved my ret as much, if not more, than MoP ret (considered the peak by many) and there’s no "clunky gameplay" that I’ve experienced. In fact I feel Ret is amazingly smooth and basically never run out of available buttons to pick.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ret really doesn't get the appreciation it deserves as a hybrid class.

With things like the Maw and Torghast, having the survivability of a Paladin is very helpful. Ret's toolkit really shines in this sort of content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Pick Kyrian if you’re not a meta slave
    Kyrian IS the meta for 5 mans and PvP, and it's only slightly worse in raids... So, It's only not the meta if you only plan to raid and nothing else.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Retri is powerful and fun both in pve and pvp. Havent gotten to 60 yet due to loads demon hunters and warriors trying to kill me. trying

Its really fun when the burst is going, but dreadfully boring when not. But hey, thats bursting and its fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Ret really doesn't get the appreciation it deserves as a hybrid class.

With things like the Maw and Torghast, having the survivability of a Paladin is very helpful. Ret's toolkit really shines in this sort of content.
    Indeed. I see a lot of grousing in guild chat about Torghast from classes without shields, strong self-heals, and our general toolkit. Meanwhile, as a competent (but not elite) player, it was fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Kyrian IS the meta for 5 mans and PvP, and it's only slightly worse in raids... So, It's only not the meta if you only plan to raid and nothing else.
    Meta for raiding is Venthyr or Night Fae, I was close to going Venthyr but landed on Kyrian because I like them more. But Kyrian is indeed very, very strong for 5mans and Torghast, not so sure about PvP though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    Indeed. I see a lot of grousing in guild chat about Torghast from classes without shields, strong self-heals, and our general toolkit. Meanwhile, as a competent (but not elite) player, it was fairly easy.
    Yep, same. I'm just doing Torghast for the fun of it as a Ret now, it's honestly the best content in WoW for years!
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

I found ret to be extremely boring in BfA, but I'm having a blast with it in Shadowlands so far. The base rotation got some additional complexity, plus some interesting new talent options. Ret utility is better than ever with the MoP version of Word of Glory and Hand of Sacrifice making a comeback. There's lots of challenging world content in the form of rares, the entirety of the Maw, and Torghast, and ret shines in all of those. I went Night Fae personally, and I've really enjoyed the extra blessings filling in my dps rotation, but especially the blink/sprint from Soulshape. Venthyr and Kyrian seem to be the meta for raiding and m+ respectively, but from what I hear, Night Fae is also competitive, so there are a lot of options. Highly recommended.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    +1 to Ret seeming pretty strong so far. Although I find myself playing Prot in Torghast as it's great too on AoE and very hard to die.

Both ret and prot are very fun. I actually do dungeons a lot more now because its so fun to play. Negative is legendaries, since i enjoy both specs equally i need to pick legendaries that fit both roles, which wont be the most optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Pick Kyrian if you’re not a meta slave and you’ll have a blast in all content, haste is always good- mastery slightly better/equal on sustained aoe fights and crit generally devalued unless you run with the Blade of Justice legendary. I’ve so far loved my ret as much, if not more, than MoP ret (considered the peak by many) and there’s no "clunky gameplay" that I’ve experienced. In fact I feel Ret is amazingly smooth and basically never run out of available buttons to pick.
    Nothing beats Wrath Ret. That was its peak. Shadowlands MAY be close. Cata Ret was decent too. But Wrath was amazing. This is the first time ever that I'm rolling Ret as mainspec

Of course you guys enjoy current Ret. It is after all batshit broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrim View Post
    Of course you guys enjoy current Ret. It is after all batshit broken.
    We get good DPS every FIVE expansions and people have an issue with it LOL Then when we do its BROKEN lol. Goes to show how NERFED the class has ALWAYS been. ESPECIALLY with the lore around the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulldancer View Post
    We get good DPS every FIVE expansions and people have an issue with it LOL Then when we do its BROKEN lol. Goes to show how NERFED the class has ALWAYS been. ESPECIALLY with the lore around the class.
    I'm fine with classes getting some love from time to time. Not just mage and rogue to get all the love all the time. But killing people in 2-3 sec in BGs... That's not damage. That's broken shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greengrim View Post
    I'm fine with classes getting some love from time to time. Not just mage and rogue to get all the love all the time. But killing people in 2-3 sec in BGs... That's not damage. That's broken shit.
    Divine Toll-Ret got a hard pvp nerf today. It's judgement value was nerfed by 30% and there is one less stack applied from Ringing Clarity. PvP only.

As a Venthyr ret main, I approve. As a Kyrian ret alt, I am saddened.