Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Expac so amazing people are grasping at anything they can to try and tear WoW down. Crazy. This expac looks more like WoW than anything we’ve seen since Wrath.

Shadowlands is the first expansion that doesn't look "Warcrafty" to me.

The art direction has evolved significantly. It's a bunch of little things that add up to giving up a slightly different vibe.

For instance, in maldraxxus, despite reusing pretty tired themes such as scourge architecture and "green vomit/mushrooms", it felt kind of fresh because of the different visual treatment (and not just the higher resolution textures and more detailed models). Something I noticed for instance is that in many places they use less "noisy" ground textures, which gives everything a clearer look.

I think it's a good thing, it reduces the "we already did all of this stuff a million times but with a different colored background" feeling a bit.
    Last edited by HappyElf; 2020-12-11 at 10:28 AM.

This is following a trend, not setting one, but then again, blizzard was always very good at adapting and polishing other peoples work.
    Last edited by Magneto; 2020-12-11 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchers View Post
    maldraxxus remembered me a lot to darksiders
    Which reminds me a lot of Eastern Plaguelands, which is what this is based off of.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Which reminds me a lot of Eastern Plaguelands, which is what this is based off of.
    so do you by any chance know everquest?

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    so do you by any chance know everquest?
    Do you know every other fantasy genre? Literally my point. Something is always going to be reminding somebody of something else - nothing is original these days.

Do you know every other fantasy genre? Literally my point. Something is always going to be reminding somebody of something else - nothing is original these days.
    Dont use literally if your answer to the other post was in no way "literally" anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Metrox View Post
    I can't put my finger on which MMO....maybe Final Fantasy.... but SL artwork has changed a lot from the older expansions. It seems to resemble some other MMO's that I have played. The pale non defined lines....the color palate of blending pastels. I just feel like I am not in a World of Warcraft world anymore but in some other game. The artwork is nice but not familiar or "comforting" in a sense. Just an opinion rattling around in my head.

Stay safe and have fun!
    Honestly the concept art for Bastion reminded me of My Little Pony.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you actually played Darksiders?
    It's a lot of things, but nothing like EPL (save perhaps for bits of Stratholme).
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Orangeish tints, gas clouds, toxic mushrooms, and undead? Nothing like EPL? What?

... Man, people be grasping.

Looks exactly like WoW, throwback to WOTLK. Guess WOTLK was a carbon copy of a free Asian mmo...

7+ Year Old Account
    The only "new" place I can think of is Bastion

Revendreth is Vampire Gilneas
    Maldraxxus is Outer Icecrown/Eastern Plaguelands
    Ardenweald is Teldrassil 2
    Torghast and the Maw are clearly inspired by Icecrown Citadel
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    people will try to deny, when in fact wow style changed massively, it shows when you compare a wow classic screenshot to a current wow screenshot, you could also compare with old/new arathi. developers just changed.
    I'm also having trouble to find the pleasure I once had because of that, and the trend of blizzard to replace old things with reimagination of their current dev just makes me happy we have classic for preservation. at least mop looked good, and somehow kind of warcraft-y.
    It still looks like wow, not much has changed other then the art looking way better.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    as predicted, there's some people who say the art changed, others saying that not really or that it's "better" now
    it's a bit like comparing donkey kong country on the snes and donkey kong country returns, you could tell that the later is "more evolved" but as far as the style goes, it's quite different even if it tries to be similar, then it's a matter of taste. my taste goes for dkc rather than dkc returns

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    This is what I though the minute I saw all these fairies, deer-like centaurs, blue angels, and whatever else. SL looks like some Asian MMORPG to me.
    I mean, it was only a matter of time... they had to create new creatures, new zones, new something in order for it to feel fresh.

Can you honestly blame them?
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    as predicted, there's some people who say the art changed, others saying that not really or that it's "better" now
    it's a bit like comparing donkey kong country on the snes and donkey kong country returns, you could tell that the later is "more evolved" but as far as the style goes, it's quite different even if it tries to be similar, then it's a matter of taste. my taste goes for dkc rather than dkc returns
    Or just confirmation bias on your part.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZaer View Post
    Revendreth reminded me of Gargoyles.
    For me, it feels like equal parts Gargoyles and Castlevania. I'm really loving the theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    There's a very valid reason for this. The creator of the 90's Gargoyles actually works for Blizz on WoW now :P

And to be honest, I don't mind that one bit. Gargoyles was one hell of a cartoon.
    I was hoping for a Venthyr named something like Xanathos..

To me, Revendreth feels like a Vampire-themed Illium from Wildstar. Maybe it's just I'm surrounded by haughty, self-absorbed and ultimately awesome humanoids who live in buildings with pointy roofs and talk about religious themes, but I get that vibe. Maybe I should stop making all of my toons venthyr..
    Last edited by Steelangel; 2020-12-11 at 04:53 PM.

Bastion reminds of Aion. Revendreth (more so than the Maw) reminds me of Dark Souls. Maldraxxus, Maw and Torghast feel Warcrafty enough for me, especially Maldraxxus which is all Scourge. Ardenweald, I don't know, perhaps it resembles some game I've never seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Or just confirmation bias on your part.
    on what, that the graphics didn't changed when everyone say they changed or evolved (evolution is change)?