Poll: Do you support the Death Penalty

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Both the hypothetical fantasy and real life practical action are absolutely barbaric.
    Yes...barbaric.
    It does however touch upon an incongruity; military, and we always support a well-armed military. And if defense means killing...free pass.

No guarantee that a "civilized" society will always be civilized.

No, I believe it is wrong for humans to kill each other in cold blood.
    I do support voluntary euthanasia for irredeemable people who will likely never be allowed back into society.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Also barbaric.

I purposefully chose to use the term murder because eliminate or 'get rid off' and other soft terminology was inappropriate to communicating the severity of what I think would be necessary for social prosperity given the option to correct so many issues with nearly unlimited power in that scenario. It would be the only justifiable and sensible use of the power of a reality-altering God.

In real terms, this grand sweep is not possible or sensible.

Both the hypothetical fantasy and real-life practical action are absolutely barbaric.
    Power does not change morality though. Using this logic we can kill criminals because we have reality-altering power over them and you could easily argue that killing all violent criminals will bring about the "greater good" for the whole of society.

If you know something is barbaric then why not choose to never be barbaric...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yes...barbaric.
    It does however touch upon an incongruity; military, and we always support a well-armed military. And if defense means killing...free pass.
    The same logic applies to the military as well. If the military has already captured a military target then there's no reason to ever kill them since they're no longer a threat. One of the only reasons to kill them would be to save a few bucks by not giving them food/water, which is ridiculous because food and water are incredibly cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No guarantee that a "civilized" society will always be civilized.
    That's just because progress is never guaranteed and the future is unpredictable. That's not a reason for us to be uncivilized towards uncivilized people.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-12-12 at 09:58 PM.

I get why people want it abolished but if you're gonna be 100% against the death penalty, then we should instead of killing people in the military we should take our enemies [all of them] to prison.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I get why people want it abolished but if you're gonna be 100% against the death penalty, then we should instead of killing people in the military we should take our enemies [all of them] to prison.
    The military already does that when possible. That requires a lot of ground control and boots on the ground which isn't feasible in many regions.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-12-12 at 10:05 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Any country that still enforces the death penalty does not deserve to call itself enlightened or modern.
    People who support it are likely to drag there knuckles along the pavement as they walk, while exclusively breathing through their mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Power does not change morality though. Using this logic we can kill criminals because we have reality-altering power over them and you could easily argue that killing all violent criminals will bring about the "greater good" for the whole of society.

If you know something is barbaric then why not choose to never be barbaric...
    I did not say it was necessarily moral either. Which is transitory anyway. In that scenario, you would have the ability to eliminate quite a lot of error to the point of Utilitarianism is extremely viable. But that was a hypothetical scenario that allowed one to make unilateral decisions with the power of a deity essentially.

I did not take the hypothetical question of the Superman thread to mean, "You are a good guy" just what you ought to do with such unreal power. This is more than just beating able to enforce will, Superman could also know for certain. This dude can travel through time.

There are no such deities in reality.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-12-13 at 12:21 AM.

Power does not change morality though.
    Morality isn't relevant when power is the only virtue.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Finally! Someone gets it.
    This is Orwell's quote again; "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
    ~~George Orwell

If you're against the dp, then you're against killing no matter the justification.

No, a modern republic has no place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    No.

1) It's utterly barbaric.
    2) It costs much less to imprison for life.
    3) It doesn't work as a deterrent.
    4) Can't undo killing of innocents.
    5) It's emotionally extremely taxing to the participants.
    6) The injections barely work to do what they are supposed to do, making it more akin to "torture penalty" than anything else.

You are a massive cunt for supporting death penalty.
    QFT. /tenchars

In prison I think you can still read books and internet pages and you could still achieve a goal, such as writing a book. That sounds way better than being dead...
    And you know this from your long experience being dead

5+ Year Old Account
    Countries that have removed deathpenalty so the politicians can protect themselves from their vile crimes on society...

No.

1) it's perhaps the biggest government overreach action possible
    2) you can't "un-execute" an innocent person
    3) it's reactionary and vengeful which should not be the purpose of justice

I see some other good points brought up as well in the thread.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I see it as a viable means of punishment if a last resort. Yes there is always a chance a mistake could be made but that arguement can apply to any sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I see it as a viable means of punishment if a last resort. Yes there is always a chance a mistake could be made but that arguement can apply to any sentence.
    Not really, because other sentences don't involve a dead person.

Easy to see why its a big No for me, someone has to go and murder someone else systematically. And politics I don't affiliate with any parties (any mafia system) since I never vote.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes.
    Murderers, especially serial killers. Pedos (if not death then make them actual eunuchs. not this chemical castration crap)

Yes, only if

1) it is reserved for the most heinous crimes
    2) the judgement is handed out by an omniscient and impartial entity

so realistically that's a big no.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Nah, it is barbaric, it costs much more than imprison for life and there is the issue that you could condemn an innocent.