Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where is everyone?

Shouldn't there be trillions of souls in the Shadowlands by now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Obviously they are in other instances of shadowlands.

I mean gameplay over lore. Let's see how even the best computers and servers run with trillions of souls being rendered at once.
    Last edited by Apolyc; 2020-12-22 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    I mean gameplay over lore. Let's see how even the best computers and servers run with trillions of souls bring rendered at once.
    Apparently you've never done the 40v40man Brawl BG of SS v TM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure anima is the essences of souls that have died. Only the ones that have made a major impact, or had many experiences during their life, will actually manifest as a walking talking being in the shadowlands.

A fix would be to make the zones infinite in size. Not literally infinite, of course, but with a 'fog of war' that descends as you reach the boundary. And some McGuffin to explain it. Instead we get these tiny floating islands with minimal population.

arent there literally infinite realms in the shadowlands? we only visit 4 + the maw, so thats.... 5 areas down, infinite to go. plenty of room for trillions of souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Apparently you've never done the 40v40man Brawl BG of SS v TM.
    I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure there's a difference between 80 and a trillion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    A fix would be to make the zones infinite in size. Not literally infinite, of course, but with a 'fog of war' that descends as you reach the boundary. And some McGuffin to explain it. Instead we get these tiny floating islands with minimal population.
    I kind of agree from a lore perspective, but it'd feel awful to just not be able to explore the entire thing because "reasons". It'd feel like a cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post

I kind of agree from a lore perspective, but it'd feel awful to just not be able to explore the entire thing because "reasons". It'd feel like a cop out.
    Yeah. But then again, the Argus-style skyboxes were effective.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Shouldn't there be trillions of souls in the Shadowlands by now?
    There is.

We don't even see the entire zones in the areas we go to. We go to specific areas.

Even then there are INFINITE afterlives, we go to 5 specific ones.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Autowand View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure anima is the essences of souls that have died. Only the ones that have made a major impact, or had many experiences during their life, will actually manifest as a walking talking being in the shadowlands.
    Here's a quote from Wowpedia about anima. So I'm mostly right with "where they are" in general, but still unsure about how creatures come to be in the Shadowlands, but I assume I'm right for now.

"Anima is the essence of mortal souls that enter the Shadowlands, the product of all of the soul's experiences and actions in life. Great souls—good or evil—have a lot of anima, while those who have lived humbler lives have less. It infuses the Shadowlands and acts as the lifeblood of the afterlife, making trees grow and rivers flow, flowing through creatures, and connecting all the realms of the Shadowlands together."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to believe we are only seeing a tiny fraction of the Shadowlands. There are clearly more than the 4 zones we are able to visit. Gameplay > Story and all that. It's like how in the lore Goldshire is like miles from Stormwind while in game its a short walk.

I do hope as the expansion progresses we get to see more realms but I am not really holding my breath because at most we get one more. Who knows though.

waiting for you to free them in the prisons of mud in the maw

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    I'd like to believe we are only seeing a tiny fraction of the Shadowlands. There are clearly more than the 4 zones we are able to visit. Gameplay > Story and all that. It's like how in the lore Goldshire is like miles from Stormwind while in game its a short walk.

I do hope as the expansion progresses we get to see more realms but I am not really holding my breath because at most we get one more. Who knows though.
    It's just lazy storytelling. There are presumably infinite realms inside the Shadowlands yet they're not even alluded to and everything seems to solely revolve around four of them, there are four pillars of the same size around the arbiter (one for each of the covenant leaders) etc.
    Blizzard tells us one thing (i.e. Shadowlands are infinite) but their story/world speaks for itself and it says something completely different. The same thing happened with BfA's narrative.

Salty as always, typically n mmochamp.
    If you come to the end of EACH zone you will see that they not end and continue forward. And if you come to Arbiter you will see countless gates.
    Our zones are just major ones, that's it

Key is perspective. The regions we visit doesn't encompass all of the shadowlands. Just a fraction of it. Its like if i go to a major city and wonder where are all the billions of people on earth. They are spread all over, in different countries, cities towns continents. The shadowlands is the same way, the regions we visit are just the most prominent places but not all of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    you want blizz to kill our computers huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's just lazy storytelling. There are presumably infinite realms inside the Shadowlands yet they're not even alluded to and everything seems to solely revolve around four of them, there are four pillars of the same size around the arbiter (one for each of the covenant leaders) etc.
    Blizzard tells us one thing (i.e. Shadowlands are infinite) but their story/world speaks for itself and it says something completely different. The same thing happened with BfA's narrative.
    There being a few places of power in the shadowlands of infinite realms isn't what I'd call illogical.

Your post is the example of lazy writing, though.
    Hi

Pretty sure in Basition in the bottom right you get just this experience. Its just a field that goes down into the fog and as you get closer a Kyrian comes and snags you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooginava182 View Post
    Pretty sure in Basition in the bottom right you get just this experience. Its just a field that goes down into the fog and as you get closer a Kyrian comes and snags you.
    Interesting. I'll investigate.