Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is classic still popular?

Hey, how do you feel about classic now that the last raid was released? is this game still going strong especially with the release of shadowlands?

I have been playing shadowlands in the previous month and I'd admit that retail has improved a lot. I don't like torghast but the theme of the expansion is strong and the systems are better now.

Classic proved to be a very powerful card when it released but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    My only classic goals after clearing MC/Ony and getting my benediction around release months was to get my girlfriend into it and let her see how dungeons used to play out and see the old scholo/ST/lbrs/ubrs

My 2 servers felt like they died out except for like 2 guilds that raid log

I tried to get my girlfriend into it but by level 45-50 we hadn't found enough people for a dungeon outside of early VC runs and even that was begging a level 60 mage carrying his alt on a second account to not just ignore us.

I don't really care for the raids past t2, Naxx would have been interesting but months of AQ and the time/gold req for Naxx isn't for me anymore. I get why everyone is so endgame focused, and I get that leveling dungeons and max level dungeons shouldn't be the most popular thing this late in the cycle but it felt like 1-80 were alive enough on my low pop australian realm 2005-2010 to be able to get dungeon groups together while leveling and on 2 servers in classic now it's felt like I'm playing a single player game which is essentially just slower modern wow

Quote Originally Posted by Hranica View Post
    My 2 servers felt like they died out except for like 2 guilds that raid log
    It's the case for most servers and it's quite sad. I don't quite understand the people who are asking Blizzard to create new servers, if anything they should merge the ones they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    It's the case for most servers and it's quite sad. I don't quite understand the people who are asking Blizzard to create new servers, if anything they should merge the ones they have.
    I think it's because most people only like the beginning part of classic. Leveling to 60, meeting people along the way, and then doing dungeons to get some gear and maybe try MC. So people probably figure new servers could be that again, people reroll there and level to 60 and basically replay that part of the game.

Of course that wouldn't happen and those servers would just be dead. But I think that's the hope some people have.

3+ Year Old Account
    Of course it is popular, but it is at the end of its cycle so a lot of people have already quit for Shadowlands, TBC Waiting Room or something else. Classic was at its peak in April-May IMO.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Down from when Naxx launched for sure. I'm sure the competition of both retail and ff14 having new stuff to do is keeping classic down. But I wouldn't say it's dead by any means, I expect you'll see another spike in February after Blizz inevitably announces BC.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The game is still very much thriving whenever I log in. I haven't been playing as much due to SL being recently released and I had new content to do, even that has taken a while as I'm very busy IRL aswell. I hope to get back soon as I always found playing Classic to be very relaxing and a lot less about finishing a list of chores. With Naxx being released (too early IMO), it has now entered a drought until Blizzard announces either a Classic+ or Classic TBC. The population isn't as crazy as it used to be back when it launched which is to be expected. I'm not sure if its gotten hard to find groups for quests and dungeons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah its very sweaty right now.

I've been camping that spot in EPL, logging in every hour, I shit you not, every single time I log in, either 1 or 2 people are already there going for the herbs, every, single, time without fail. The last time I logged in, like an hour ago, I started running for a Plaguebloom, the moment I got to it another Horde ran up mounted up with mobs chasing him and tried to get the herb while I was getting it lmao.

It's so sweaty I don't even wanna log in anymore. Classic was straight up not designed to have this many people playing this much. There needs to be WAY more herb nodes, not just Black Lotus. Like all herbs besides Silversage and Sansam need the Icecap treatment.
    Last edited by msdos; 2020-12-25 at 10:21 PM.

On my server there is still a lot of guilds raiding, but everything else has basically stopped.

Which is not a bad thing, it's just the end of the content cycle.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Duhhh.. Its the best

On EU servers Classic seems to still thrive, I'd even say there are a lot of new players these days.
    No idea about US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on Mirage Raceway, EU. Seemed to have a bit of an increase when Naxx was released, but just after there was a decrease as people wanted to play Shadowlands. Feels like activity is down atm, a lot more raid logging and some people not even doing that as there seems to be a general drop off in population. Expected as Blizzard haven't announced how TBC is going to be implemented and some people only wanted to clear Naxx once.

https://ironforge.pro/servers/

Atleast 300k unique characters (i think it was +10lvl only?) were online past week on EU/US servers.
    Still pretty good number on the time the game will slowly dying now due no content until TBC.

new servers is the only way forward if you ask me. probably in some sort of season form.

people need something to do, and the only way to get something to do again is to start over, potentially with some added flair.

But honestly i don't really see them doing something like that until TBC and WotlK are out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Hey, how do you feel about classic now that the last raid was released? is this game still going strong especially with the release of shadowlands?

I have been playing shadowlands in the previous month and I'd admit that retail has improved a lot. I don't like torghast but the theme of the expansion is strong and the systems are better now.

Classic proved to be a very powerful card when it released but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.
    Still popular?

It was never very popular... Compared to the hype, it was a epic failure, and number of active players plummeted quickly after the first few weeks.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Still popular?

It was never very popular... Compared to the hype, it was a epic failure, and number of active players plummeted quickly after the first few weeks.
    Sure pal xD only increased sub numbers by over double, massively impacted Blizzard revenue, and had servers riddled with queues for ages. The salt is real.

Hahahahaha, you are Just trolling of being Incredible stupid..and Both, tbf should not deserve a reply....nut sorry your guild died because of classic, of something stupid like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    new servers is the only way forward if you ask me. probably in some sort of season form.

people need something to do, and the only way to get something to do again is to start over, potentially with some added flair.

But honestly i don't really see them doing something like that until TBC and WotlK are out.
    Yeah but if the existing servers are half full what possible incentive would there be for Blizzard to fork out cash for additional ones??

Yeah but if the existing servers are half full what possible incentive would there be for Blizzard to fork out cash for additional ones??
    individual servers don't exist. it's just some virtual allocated hardware that's shared between many games/services. and they seem to have plenty of capacity in that regard so it doesn't seem like there is a significant opportunity cost either.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Still popular?

Blizzard had to rapidly open additional servers to handle the load and over a year later the server populations are still healthy and not a single one has had to be merged.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady