Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

BFA is Underrated

I don't understand why people call Battle of Azeroth "a mess" or a bad expansion. To me it has a superb production quality to it. For example many zones like Drustvar, Tiragarde Sound and Zul'Dazar are the best Blizzard has ever made.

For me WoD was a bad expansion. Just terrible production quality after amazing Mists of Pandaria.

BFA had promise. Then it broke its promise.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I thought the zones and questing experience was great but I didn't like their end game progression systems. I was really against azerite gear from the beginning.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    The zones sadly do not make an expansion great alone. Look at Cyberpunk 2077, the city itself is beautiful, but when the core gameplay systems that make up the game aren't there, the game itself isn't going to have a solid result in the end. And BFA was just like that, some zones were amazing, a few memorable quests but the core systems of Azerite, Island Expeditions, and the "War" just weren't solid enough. BFA is not underrated when you look at how it just fell flat after people realized how clunky the Azerite system was, how pointless Island Expeditions were, and how the "War" really wasn't there. It took Blizz 3 patches to figure out all of it's systems and by then you had so much going on it became as intimidating to some new players as the lvl cap being 120.

BFA was great. The only thing that was terrible was the power system, the additional content systems, class mechanics, the lore and story, and PvP. Oh and TF and benthic gear and Azerite drops, of course.

But yeah other than that, great!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah bfa’s zones were great. Tiragarde is one of my favorite zones in the whole game. If there’s anything Shadowlands has taught me is that, like core gameplay, the environment you play the game in is extremely important and if not up to par makes the whole experience feel crappy. Shadowlands zones are crappy and feel completely disconnected from Azeroth. It just doesn’t feel like I’m questing in azeroth and yes I understand that’s the whole point of this expac but that didn’t stop TBC, WoD, and even the Argus zones from feeling like WoW.

While they may be pretty, these zones feel like they come from a completely different game. And that’s really really bad.
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-01-04 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnutz View Post
    I don't understand why people call Battle of Azeroth "a mess" or a bad expansion. To me it has a superb production quality to it. For example many zones like Drustvar, Tiragarde Sound and Zul'Dazar are the best Blizzard has ever made.

For me WoD was a bad expansion. Just terrible production quality after amazing Mists of Pandaria.
    BFA had some real promise.

Azerite gear to replace Tier Sets. The concept being choosing your own PC bonus for your own synergies. But as we saw this never really played out the way it was supposed to.
    Islands to be a small team PvE or PvP focus. This died a quick death when islands were steamrolls with a timer so you couldn't enjoy what was going on there.
    Battlefronts to be RTS in the game. Yeah this was laughable execution and the harder difficulties were to slow to come out and not included in match making. (HC wasn't hard, at all, it probably should have been the Normal difficulty).

And that's the crux of what crushed BFA into mediocrity. Dungeons were still good, Raids were good, BfD being a standout. Endgame still intact from Legion. But the loss of anything new being worth anything at all killed the game.

BFA was really great like the amazing power systems and with a glorious ending to a boss who had a lot of lore, built up since cataclysm and had a copy and paste cinematic from Dragon Soul /s. No BFA was a shit show and showed how much Blizzard cared so little about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy, the same thread we get every time about whatever expansion we had before this one.

BFA was the expansion of wasted potential. The ideas they had were good but they all fell as soon as you hit max. level, and then they added more, worse stuff every patch in an attempt to rescue the half-baked nonsense they already made.

BFA as an standalone expansion product or BFA as an subscription service?

Both are a mess.

BFA as a standalone expansion is a mess because the story line is literally a mess, start off with you being forced to kill "alliance" as horde (despite working as ally to kill titan), you cannot disagree with your horde leader while watching saurfang did just that. Then you are thrown right back at heart of azerite like you are not just back from biological warfare against people that share the same planet. Just click that 5 things to save the planet!!! Done? Back to that undead ranger to kill some alliance on troll island... like WHAT IS GOING ON!?? I am a druid, show me some mercy stupid plot!!! How is this not a mess?

BFA as a subscription service, is like azerite armor on top of essences on top of corruption, how is that not a mess?
    Last edited by gobio; 2021-01-04 at 04:15 AM.

i found everything great in BfA (seriously), besides:

- treadmill shit / alt unfriendlyness
    - gear „systems“
    - the fact that islands were lame
    - the fact that they had could make so much more out of lame warfronts
    - some sylvanas shit story stuff and lame quick n dirty nzoth xpac end

besides above points i really loved the xpac:

- i found many specs great to play
    - i liked jaina story
    - i liked rasthakan and talanji story
    - i liked questing and all the small stories on a and h side
    - i loved the zones
    - i liked the a vs h conflict theme, even when halfassed
    - i liked all dungeons and raids
    - i liked the overall rollout, pacing, patches etc
    - i liked the key scenes
    - i liked the game design (as said, besides grind/treadmill/alt-unfriendlyness)
    - i liked how they designed professions
    - i liked the immersion

all in all, if BfA had not that endless grinding for essences etc. and instead better alt support (by just removing all that gear grind treadmill shit or making it accountwide), i would give BfA a solid 7-8/10.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-01-04 at 04:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah sure the zones looked great and the audio was amazing, but that's where the praise ends, i'd take WoD any day over BFA

BFA had an amazing questing experience.
    As did WoD, WoD had some of the best iterations of classes as well. What both failed at was end game. WoD because they basically gave up and stopped adding stuff.
    BFA because the power creep was stupid random and over the top, from getting lucky with TF to getting lucky with corruptions. Then on top of that the passive traits for azerite/corruption tend to do more than the active stuff you actually had control over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Yeah bfa’s zones were great. Tiragarde is one of my favorite zones in the whole game.
    I agree with you there. The attention to detail in the design of Tiragarde (and Boralus) was outstanding.

Awful bait. Drust is a good zone, but absolutely everytthing else about BfA is forgettable, from the armor sets to the joke that was 8.3. WoD tier at best.

everything in BFA is trash, including the zones.
    Last edited by Mouri Kogorou; 2021-01-04 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    BFA had an amazing questing experience.
    What little I recall from the Alliance side seemed to show that it was much much more interesting than the Horde side of things, which was just a slog and a half. That alone completely cured my minor bout of alt-aholicism.

I do agree with you on WoD, which had a pretty entertaining questing experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    legion and bfa should have been released together and this abomination of shadowlands would have never been made