15+ Year Old Account

Living with someone for the first time?

Specifically living with a significant other.

For anyone who’s spent most of their life isolated or by themselves, what unexpected changes or adjustments did you have to get used to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Constantly having to remind them to leave the toilet seat UP!

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post

For anyone who’s spent most of their life isolated or by themselves, what unexpected changes or adjustments did you have to get used to?
    The fact my SO put the toilet roll on the other way around. He did it right btw, I was wrong. We resolved it back then, because he used to move the cat scratching post, which annoyed the hell out of me, and we made the deal that I would put the toilet roll on his way and he'd let the scratching post sit where I put it. This made me get used to putting the roll on correctly and now can't even imagine doing it the other way around again

I have been married for a long time. This dude ain't surprising me at this point.

There's always some differences, you just need to come to a resolution on things that annoy both of you. I've seen relationships fall apart over the silliest of issues.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Just be patient and open minded about doing things a little differently.

Are you moving into a new place together? Or theirs? Or yours? If you haven't decided, I highly recommend getting a new place together.

15+ Year Old Account
    It’s just an academic question. I’ve spent most of my life by myself - or at least without roommates or the sounds of people running around - first with a single mom and mutual roommate, then just my mom, then in my own place, so I’m curious what other people in similar situations had trouble with.
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's different with every person you live with.
    this.

you deal with it more or less in the same way though. you discuss it as adults - no "my way or highway" and find a compromise that is mutually agreeable.

15+ Year Old Account
    What did people get from my op that makes them think I’m asking for advice? I was just asking for people to share examples because I thought it would be interesting. Seems only Amerissis got that.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    What did people get from my op that makes them think I’m asking for advice? I was just asking for people to share examples because I thought it would be interesting. Seems only Amerissis got that.
    You can take a lot from how people respond to a post. Seems like you didn't communicate your intent at all. Seems like only ONE person got your barely nebulous post. Maybe you'll learn something for the next time. Like using the phrase "please share examples" when you want people to share examples....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You can take a lot from how people respond to a post. Seems like you didn't communicate your intent at all. Seems like only ONE person got your barely nebulous post. Maybe you'll learn something for the next time. Like using the phrase "please share examples" when you want people to share examples....
    You can just admit you skimmed and misunderstood instead of getting defensive.

what unexpected changes or adjustments did you have to get used to?
    There’s nothing about “me” in there.

“What unexpected things have happened to you on dates?”

“Just be yourself!”

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can just admit you skimmed and misunderstood instead of getting defensive.

what unexpected changes or adjustments did you have to get used to?
    There’s nothing about “me” in there.

“What unexpected things have happened to you on dates?”

“Just be yourself!”

������
    Sure, or we can use the objective evidence demonstrating that you were entirely unclear in your query. It's not our fault you weren't clear, and now can't seem to admit being wrong. But hey, be yourself! Right?

(I also cleaned up your post - you're welcome)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Sure, or we can use the objective evidence demonstrating that you were entirely unclear in your query. It's not our fault you weren't clear, and now can't seem to admit being wrong. But hey, be yourself! Right?

(I also cleaned up your post - you're welcome)
    2 of a whole 7 people, and all 5 who got it wrong came after, so they (you) saw their answers and went “nah fuck that.” But talk more about objective evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    For some more general advice, might be a bit harsh, but the other person you live with is not your parent. Some less well-adjusted people have behaviour like that and puts similar expectations on their significant other when they move in with them.

Anyone who approaches living with someone from that perspective, rather than an actual partnership in taking care of things around the home, won't have it last long.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    2 of a whole 7 people, and all 5 who got it wrong came after, so they (you) saw their answers and went “nah fuck that.” But talk more about objective evidence.
    So you were lying here?
    What did people get from my op that makes them think I’m asking for advice? I was just asking for people to share examples because I thought it would be interesting. Seems only Amerissis (that's ONE, in case you can't count - parentheticals and BOLD added by me) got that.
    Let us know when you figure out which post of yours was a lie. Meanwhile, in reality, most people misunderstood your post. Because of your lack of clarity. The objective evidence was provided by you, in the aforementioned link of your own words. Unless you didn't understand your own words...damn, that's a Penrose drawing right there.

Anywho, what's really interesting, is that you were objectively wrong about a simple misunderstanding (by your own words), and yet don't have the intellectually honesty or moral courage to admit it, even on such a small thing. I can't even begin to imagine how you act when an issue really matters.

You're being kinda needlessly hostile here, brother. There is not a lot of verbosity to your OP and it could just be some readers of the OP had a different take. Not necessarily "got it wrong".

I read the portion of your OP of "isolated" to mean something along the lines of the current pandemic and stay-at-home orders. This is certainly logical considering it is the most important event in our collective lifetimes for most readers and there are doubtless many couples isolating together for the first time. Now that might be "wrong" in a certain sense, but you did not word OP in such a way as to outline a specific set of criteria only. You did in post #8, sure.

Then again 5 out of 7 people read it a different way and that level of clarity is in the author.

No harm or foul meant here. It's not a big deal, but also just being prickly over this minor thing is not worth it. Just clear it up and that's that.

And to answer your OP in the spirit of what you meant; Hm, I can't really think of anything. I have a big family, siblings, and have rarely lived alone in my life. So by the time I got married, I was not surprised by anything really. And no, my husband still ain't surprising me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You're being kinda needlessly hostile here, brother. There is not a lot of verbosity to your OP and it could just be some readers of the OP had a different take. Not necessarily "got it wrong".

I read the portion of your OP of "isolated" to mean something along the lines of the current pandemic and stay-at-home orders. This is certainly logical considering it is the most important event in our collective lifetimes for most readers and there are doubtless many couples isolating together for the first time. Now that might be "wrong" in a certain sense, but you did not word OP in such a way as to outline a specific set of criteria only. You did in post #8, sure.
    I just replied in kind to the the persons attitude above me.

I don’t see how “For anyone who’s spent most of their life isolated or by themselves” is my fault for being misinterpreted as recently.

As for anyone thinking I was using a royal version to imply what’s common “what unexpected changes or adjustments did you have to get used to?” the word “did” undoes that because it implies a specific event, not generalities.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ProphetFlume As far as the argument goes about people misunderstanding your thread's intent, I think you're in the right. You asked for something specific, and many of the people who responded did not respond in the way you asked.

I personally am also curious about the answer to this question, but sadly I can't give any input as I've lived on my own for almost 10 years, which is almost my entire adult life.