New PC Build thoughts?

Building a new PC and wanted to know the communities thoughts on it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($549.99)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERAIR MA620M 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.97 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.97 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($819.99)
    Case: Antec DF600 FLUX ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($599.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2914.76

The CPU cooler is not the best cooling wise, if looks aren't an issue I'd suggest looking into Noctua NH-D15.

Never heard of OLOy RAM, is it much cheaper than say G.Skill or why go with that?

I always recommend Corsair RM750x/850x as PSU but then again I have no idea what that Phanteks is like. Does Phanteks have three separate PCIe cables for the GPU?

Do you intend to put the storage in raid configuration, or is 2TB more expensive?

I would suggest going with CL16 memory or tuning it yourself since AMD CPUs are pretty dependend on timings.

Also what brand is OLOy? I cant recommend cheap noname memory. I myself had only bad experiences with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Lixo View Post
    The CPU cooler is not the best cooling wise, if looks aren't an issue I'd suggest looking into Noctua NH-D15.

Never heard of OLOy RAM, is it much cheaper than say G.Skill or why go with that?

I always recommend Corsair RM750x/850x as PSU but then again I have no idea what that Phanteks is like. Does Phanteks have three separate PCIe cables for the GPU?

Do you intend to put the storage in raid configuration, or is 2TB more expensive?
    Got the cooler for the looks. Might send it back if there's thermal issues and get a Noctua instead.
    The ram was part of a combo deal with the videocard.
    The Phanteks was cheap, gold rated, great reviews, modular, silent rated and has 4x 8-pin connectors.
    And yes, originally I was going to get cheap gen 3 m.2s but when I learned that this board could do gen4 raid0 I was like fuck it go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Adviceanon View Post
    Building a new PC and wanted to know the communities thoughts on it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($549.99)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERAIR MA620M 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($819.99)
    Case: Antec DF600 FLUX ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($599.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2914.76
    Why do you need a 12 core CPU? Are you doing work that requires it? Its not better for gaming in any conceivable way. It wont be so in the expected lifetime of the machine (Moar COARZ! still hasnt materialized as a thing in gaming despite high core count CPUs being available for over 12 years). If you're just gaming, this is basically like lighting money on fire and watching it burn for giggles.

That Cooler is trash. Like, just 100% trash. There are significantly cheaper coolers that cool better If you're really into the giant hunk o metal type, get a Noctua NH-D15 or a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

What exactly do you need X570 for? Again, unless you're doing "real' work on this thing, there aren't any compelling features for a gaming rig on X570. Its just spending money for the sake of spending money.

RAM is fine; OLOy isn't particularly well know in the west here but they are fine. But its only fine. CL18 sorta sucks. 32GB is also overkill if you arent doing "work" - youd be better off with 16GB of 3600 (or better) CL16, if performance is what you care about. I mean, if you've got the money to burn, you can get 32GB of that faster speed too.

The SSDs are absolutely pointless overspend. This comment in particular makes me think you've done zero research into what PCIe 4.0 holds for the consumer.

And yes, originally I was going to get cheap gen 3 m.2s but when I learned that this board could do gen4 raid0 I was like fuck it go big or go home.
    PCIe 4.0 for the average consumer is lipstick on a giant flying pig with tits. You will never see a real world difference between PCIe 3.0 drives and 4.0 drives. Youll need to benchmark them to see a difference. Putting them in raid is even more pointless. It wont make anything go faster unless you're doing real wo rk where you move giant single files around all the time. (This is true even without putting them in raid). Games will not load faster. The bottleneck on loading games is almost always the controller on the SSD and the fact that once the files are loaded they have to be decompressed in-engine. And most games load hundreds of small to tiny files, meaning the extra speed from PCIe is almost never noticeable (and this applies to PCIe 3.0 as well. Load time increases over even a SATA 6GB SSD are on the order of maybe 2-3 seconds at best, because when moving small files ANY SSD will cap WELL below its theoretical read/write speeds.

Scads of people are rushing to PCIe 4.0 like its some kind of revolutionary thing... when it likelyw ont be relevant to consumers for the entire life of this machine. MAYBE next-gen, high-end/halo product GPUs will require it for best theoretical performance.

Right now, its basically useless to consumers.

The case choice is subjective (if you like it, ++; im not aware of any glaring deficiencies with the case like awful airflow or whatever).

PSU is fine; Phanteks sources their PSUs from Seasonic.

Monitor is fine though if you look around im sure you can find a 1440p high refresh monitor that isn't that expensive, even IPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    but when I learned that this board could do gen4 raid0 I was like fuck it go big or go home.
    A lot of this is just fluff. There really isn't any point to 'go big or go home' unless you simply have some weird aversion to money.

I really can't recommend anything on the entire list except... maybe the GPU? Without knowing what you're doing, you could probably shave off 5 bills without much performance loss in anything.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A lot of this is just fluff. There really isn't any point to 'go big or go home' unless you simply have some weird aversion to money.

I really can't recommend anything on the entire list except... maybe the GPU? Without knowing what you're doing, you could probably shave off 5 bills without much performance loss in anything.
    That, and clearly they are going home with the shitty QLC drives anyhow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    I would suggest going with CL16 memory or tuning it yourself since AMD CPUs are pretty dependend on timings.

Also what brand is OLOy? I cant recommend cheap noname memory. I myself had only bad experiences with those.
    Yep also CL16/3600Mhz is ideal since Infinity Fabric 1:1?

Drop the CPU, unless you do streaming/video editing you do not need it (even for streaming imho, overkill). Q4 2 NVMEs? I mean 500GB OS EVO or equivalent drive and 1TB Rocket 4 for games will be plenty. Also I suggest NVME for gaming since optimisations for that speed should be more in the future due to consoles.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2021-01-07 at 10:01 AM.
    -K

Got the cooler for the looks. Might send it back if there's thermal issues and get a Noctua instead.
    The ram was part of a combo deal with the videocard.
    The Phanteks was cheap, gold rated, great reviews, modular, silent rated and has 4x 8-pin connectors.
    Okay cool, sounds like there's thought behind every decision so I fully support this build then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Yep also CL16/3600Mhz is ideal since Infinity Fabric 1:1?

Drop the CPU, unless you do streaming/video editing you do not need it (even for streaming imho, overkill). Q4 2 NVMEs? I mean 500GB OS EVO or equivalent drive and 1TB Rocket 4 for games will be plenty. Also I suggest NVME for gaming since optimisations for that speed should be more in the future due to consoles.
    Thats what they said to me too.. but my 250gb SSD 3.5'' is for my operating system and WoW. My 1TB m.2 (samsung evo 970! love Samsung) has ck3, ck2, Star Citizen (without SSD that game is near unplayable unless you love 10minutes or more of loading times) and several other nasty games (i'd prefer to have ARK and ATLAS on SSD too.. and Conan Exiles. But they nom disk space). So against everyones advice i went for another 1TB Samsung m.2 .. but this one is tadbit slower (normal price 190 euros was 125 euros at that point, an offer I couldnt resist)

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    That, and clearly they are going home with the shitty QLC drives anyhow
    Wow, I had no idea about the difference between QLC and TLC. I'm going to return these drives and get cheaper pcie3 TLC 1TBs.

Aside from that, the rest of the build has been great. Yea, I probably didn't need to splurge on a 5900x, but I was lucky enough to get one and thought for once after a decade of doing budget builds I'd to a nice monster of a PC. I don't "need" any of it because all I do is play WoW or peggle.
    I also didn't know raid 0 was a scam. The mobo box listed it as a feature so I thought I might as well utilize said feature. After watching some youtube I've learned raid 0 is a 'zero' performance boost.
    The cooler has been pretty good. It's in-line with any other $100 air cooler. I was amazed at getting temps of 85c while gaming, but apparently that's normal even for Noctuas wit ha 5900x using PBO2.
    The ram was part of a combo deal. I knew the latency was slow, but after watching more youtube it seems the difference between cl16 and cl18 isn't worth worrying about. Very minimal difference.
    The case is good, but the fans are connected to an ARGB header on the case. I had no idea that would cause the fans to spin at maximum RPM. So I hooked the 3 front fans to my mobos chasis 3-pins, giving me PWM control. I ran q-fan in asus bios and it significantly quieted the fan noise. The RGB cables are still connected to the case header so the RGB still works.
    The reason I went with this x570 was because compared to other x570s it was like $100 cheaper, and it had wifi-6. I have gigabit internet and a wifi-6 router, so I'm able to download at 100/MBs wireless which is pretty cool. It's been extremely stable as well.