Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    The Independent and Business Insider tell other stories. Some armed psycho was headed towards Washington with the intend to assassinate Pelosi, country wide armed protests are planned in case Trump gets removed from the office with the 25th amendment. This is gonna be ugly.
    I figure the next few months are going to be bad, real bad. There will be a LOT of arrests, probably quite a few sitting politicians either resign or outright get arrested, maybe even the president(not pertaining to state crimes but this). There will also probably be some deaths of police officers, maybe a few assassination attempts by some of the crazier far right people. Probably a few standoffs and some deaths there. Hopefully no bombings.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one good thing to come from this. I need to find a frame.

Usually our household pets Dr. Smoochi and Peaches like to argue the merits of Skocpol's theory of Social Revolutions. But sometimes, they just want to tear things to pieces.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Im sure the police will comply to your demands.
    I hope the rank and file that were left out to dry demand their leadership be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    The one good thing to come from this. I need to find a frame.

Usually our household pets Dr. Smoochi and Peaches like to argue the merits of Skocpol's theory of Social Revolutions. But sometimes, they just want to tear things to pieces.
    https://twitter.com/CptnBlackbeard/s...697402884?s=20
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I hear that spanish-speaking media outlets in south Florida are blaming it on...

now, wait for it...

...Black Lives Matter.

Yeah.
    It’s not spoken often enough but certain Latino cultures are full of racist fuckers.

The idea cultural idea that lighter skin/white skin is best can still be found among families.
    Last edited by TigTone; 2021-01-11 at 06:23 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The whole, "We never prosecute this stuff!" or "We don't even investigate it!" is another weird thing that keeps coming from media outlets.

We literally just got done foiling a domestic terrorism plot by Trumpers aimed at Governor Whitmer, and some of those people could be looking at life sentences. It's not like you can just go out and do this shit whenever you want and have nothing happen.
    But that's not what I'm talking about. I'll agree that media can sensationalize events (during Ferguson , I lived 10 minutes away from the main rioting location and I tell you that our neighborhood wasn't 'burned to the ground') but I'm talking about the larger systemic issues that facilitated this in the first place. My comment wasn't directed at you, it's out of frustration that it has to come to this for people to take things seriously.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Sure, and I'll agree with that.

But the narratives that say, "Capitol Police were complicit" or that they did very little "because the attackers were white" have been all over left-leaning media. They certainly don't go into any detail about individuals, they just try to make it sound like Capitol Police rolled out the red carpet.

(Seriously, MSNBC's coverage of this in particular has been simply awful. I mean, FOX news level of "divide with misinformation" sometimes.)
    I said the Capitol Police were complicit the day of too. Because how could you see the footage available that day and think anything else? The footage showed the police folding like nothing, it was the next day before we started seeing footage from journalists embedded with the terrorists. It wasn't until later when we got a more full story that it became clear it wasn't every officer. But there remains serious questions about the leadership and planning of this day, so the idea that some leadership or some portion of them were complicit is still entirely possible.

And yea only one person was shot, that would have been a completely different story had they been more demographically diverse.

The Independent and Business Insider tell other stories. Some armed psycho was headed towards Washington with the intend to assassinate Pelosi, country wide armed protests are planned in case Trump gets removed from the office with the 25th amendment. This is gonna be ugly.
    It already is ugly. The fact is that even if the loonies accomplished their goal, our government wouldn't have been overthrown. We saw people like Koko talk about how the rioters would install their own congress... what? Does anyone actually believe that would have any effect on the legal apparatus of the country? Power would have transferred just as it always has, it just would have been an even darker day in our history.

I am concerned for the future of democracy in our country over the long term, Trump has highlighted which points the fascists need to attack next time, but this was not even close to upending it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have no doubt that a bunch of far right lunatics are going to push their luck in the coming weeks, but if you think it's going to be a civil war you are crazy. It will be right wing militia groups, protest-rioters, and lone actors going up against the FBI, US Marshals, local law enforcement, and the national guard.

I don't want to undercut the severity of domestic terrorism, but despite their rhetoric and fantasies and choice in apparel, most of these people are pussies. When confronted with the consequences of their actions, they are turning into blubbering crybabies.

Don't be surprised to see the FBI cracking down independent of any terrorist acts, either. They are obviously on high alert and I fully expect we'll be seeing raids based on credible threats. More so as we approach the 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Not at all... social ostracization works... just look at Parler right now. It wasn't killed, forced out of the country, or incarcerated. People simply opted to not do business with them, and Parler went to shit in a day.

I can choose where I spend my money, and starve them out.

I can choose with whom I associate, and not allow them in my inner circle. My mother will never live to see her grandchildren in person again. That is a choice I have made, due to her beliefs.

None of this requires an ounce of force, merely some discipline. I'm not beating anything, I'm calling Nazi out for what they are, and not letting them try and lie about the last 5 years.

Or, should we not teach that Nazis are bad?

- - - Updated - - -

Why does Fox News have capitalism so fucking much?
    So this is the real life mode of the cancel culture ?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's classic DARVO behavior from domestic abusers. The same posters are trying to gaslight the "normies" with the same tactics since 2015.

The conservative movement in the US is turtles all the way down, and by turtles I mean "mad daddy issues, emotional abuse, all seasoned with insecurity about masculinity and power."
    The conservatives and alt-righters continually make the argument "You *have* to forgive my violence, or they'll be more violence!"
    Its a cynical ploy, but it's worth remembering that many of them were raised within authoritarian families where that was an accepted part of their culture.

Then reinforce this behavior in mmo games and online forums.
    Government Affiliated Snark

You know, I've seen instances of "cancel culture" that I thought really were over the line and treating someone unfairly.

But this isn't it. This is the rest of the world saying, "Look, Parler, you do you. But we don't want anything to do with hosting this kind of content."
    Ok with the social network or whatever Parler is, but there is more to it because I think he also included humans in his rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    How dare companies not want to associate with a platform used to plan an attempted insurrection and that is proudly home to hate-speech and open threats and calls for violence.

How dare people not want to support any company that supports that kind of platform.

Freedom of association isn't "cancel culture", it's capitalism, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    How dare companies not want to associate with a platform used to plan an attempted insurrection and that is proudly home to hate-speech and open threats and calls for violence.

How dare people not want to support any company that supports that kind of platform.

Freedom of association isn't "cancel culture", it's capitalism, baby.
    And again, Parler was just an exemple in his rhetoric, but he does also include humans.

Ok with the social network or whatever Parler is, but there is more to it because I think he also included humans in his rhetoric.
    Saying he doesn't want his mother to meet his kids and express her views to them? How is that not his choice?

And again, Parler was just an exemple in his rhetoric, but he does also include humans.
    And? If someone is a Nazi, a company can say, "We don't employ Nazi's and don't tolerate that hate."

If a company is employing Nazi's consumers are free to say, "We don't support companies that employ and support Nazi's"

To use an extreme example. That's still freedom of association. If someone chooses to be a Nazi and is unemployable as a result, that's a personal choice and the consequences of their actions.

No person nor company should be forced to suffer a Nazi or a white supremacist or an insurrectionist if they don't want to.

The fact is that one was a rally held by a sitting president which no one would have normally thought was a threat at any other time in living memory. Yes, this is a very strange time, but I can't fault people for initially thinking things might be "normal".

The other was a protest that very often descended into arson, vandalism and looting. That's not a statement on BLM, their goals, or anything else. It's not even a statement on WHO did those things. It's simply a fact of what often happened.
    You are flat out fucking lying.

There was nothing but news this was going to be violent. BLM was not.

You are doing your damnedest to not see the truth here. Its pathetic.

You are right, I am not American, but you know, I can read stuff like the NY Times, Guardian, the Independent, Politico. You know, facts and stuff.

But for your sake and the sake of the American people I do hope that your optimism is justified. I just don't see it that way right now.
    You can read those thins, but you are not actually here. I'm in DC right now, and it's quiet. It'll be relatively quiet until the 19th, where there will be a huge presence. You have a Capitol Police force that are going to be burying two of their own, and they will be amped up. You have a DC Metro police, who will actually be out in force. You will have thousands of outside law enforcement, including the FBI, DHS<, Secret Service, LEOs from Virginia, Maryland, and the National Guard from all three.

MY guess is that they will start arresting people early, and often.

The fact is that one was a rally held by a sitting president which no one would have normally thought was a threat at any other time in living memory. Yes, this is a very strange time, but I can't fault people for initially thinking things might be "normal".
    https://www.propublica.org/article/c...e-werent-ready

They. Planned. This. Violence. In. Public. On. The. Internet. For. Weeks.

Cancel culture is nothing more than free speech and freedom of association.

If a bar owner sexually harasses his employees, do you keep going there?

If a store sells Nazi flags, do you go there?

If the local church has a pastor who molested kids, do you continue going there?

Cancel culture is nothing more than speaking with your wallet, and it's what capitalism is all about.