Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do we NEED a new class for 10.0?

NOTE: This is NOT about what class you want to see in 10.0. In this thread, I simply want to ask a few questions;

1. Does WoW need a new class for 10.0? In other words, do you feel that the lack of a new class in this expansion hurt the game, and another expansion without a new class would hurt the game further?

2. Do you think a new class in Shadowlands would have made this expansion better/more interesting?

3. If there is NO new class introduced in 10.0, will that effect your purchase of the next expansion?

The last class to enter the game was Demon Hunter in 2016. If there's no class announced later this year when the next expansion is set to be announced, that would mean that we won't be getting a new class until 2024 at the earliest. That would be 8 years without a new class in WoW. I'm curious what effect do you think the lack of a new class would have on the game for that stretch of time.

Again, please do not bring up any specific classes in this thread. This is about new classes in general, and the effect that new classes have on WoW in of itself, not anything specific class-wise.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2021-01-23 at 04:18 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, we need new classes, more options is always better, while deep down i would love to simpyl say "just keep the current classes and balance them!" like they said they would for shadowlands, that has no where near the hype and excitement of a new class.

More classes=more options = more players = more happy players cause they have more chances at the spec they wanting being in the game

of course they could also just add more specs to the game, that also fits, literally just more options is better, and more classes, or more specs is a great way to achieve this.

you look back to history and people love "x spec from Y patch' and its because of the playstyle usually, for me wotlk demo lock, fucking loved it, yet its gone to never return, because they changed it in attempt to try something new, now if we had more specs/classes in the game, the likelyhood a spec would play like that spec that i like, would go up.

Do we NEEED a new class, no we dont need anything new other then zones, raids, dungeons, etc when an expansion comes out.
    would it be amazing if we did? yes, yes it would.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Depends who you ask. Me who likes new things will say yes. But do we "need" it? Strong word tbh... I want one.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Yes, we need new classes, more options is always better, while deep down i would love to simpyl say "just keep the current classes and balance them!" like they said they would for shadowlands, that has no where near the hype and excitement of a new class.

Do we NEEED a new class, no we dont need anything new other then zones, raids, dungeons, etc when an expansion comes out.
    would it be amazing if we did? yes, yes it would.
    Great answers.

Do you think WoW would be hurt in the long run if there's no new class announcement for 10.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    1. Does WoW need a new class for 10.0?
    I always try to make a difference between need and want. No, we absolutely do not need a new class. Many people want one, however, so they will try to make it appear like we do need one. But we do not. We just want it.

Edit for case in point:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Depends who you ask. Me who likes new things will say yes. But do we "need" it? Strong word tbh... I want one.

Need is a strong word.
    Unless it's a Necromancer. Then it's an accurate word.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    I always try to make a difference between need and want. No, we absolutely do not need a new class. Many people want one, however, so they will try to make it appear like we do need one. But we do not. We just want it.
    Nothing in WoW is "needed", so this argument is kinda fallacious.

10+ Year Old Account
    People say they really enjoyed WotLK, Legion, and MoP. Those expansions are usually considered top tier in terms of WoW experiences.

I can't help but wonder if part of those fond memories is trying out the new class for the first time. I know when I first played my Monk, I felt a strong connection to the expansion's theme, and I remember that I couldn't wait to get to Pandaria to explore my class' lore a bit further.

In WotLK, I didn't make a DK immediately, but I remember it being something I really wanted to do when I finished doing quests on my main. So yeah, I do think that new classes have a very powerful effect on how you approach the game as a player.

Edit for case in point:
    Note sure how this is case in point when I made the distinction between wanting and need. I didn't try to make it appear as we need one. I was clear about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I didn't try to make it appear as we need one. I was clear about that.
    Ah, sorry, you misunderstood my intentions. Your post was a perfect example of the distinction between need and want, not a perfect example of someone trying to hide it

Ah, sorry, you misunderstood my intentions. Your post was a perfect example of the distinction between need and want, not a perfect example of someone trying to hide it
    Ah fair enough.

No. Infact I'm all for getting rid of some. Starting with Demon Huntards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Art the Clown View Post
    No. Infact I'm all for getting rid of some. Starting with Demon Huntards.
    What about Demon Hunter players? What happens to them? Does Blizzard give them a refund for the time and money they invested in their character?

no we dont, shadowlands has shown that blizzard cant even balance the 11 we have

no we don't need another tinker thread

Not really. Most suggestions Ive seen imply heavy re-construction or would work better as a new profession rather than class.

Nay, more content please

Oh and could my Paladin be a Goblin please? ������

What about Demon Hunter players? What happens to them? Does Blizzard give them a refund for the time and money they invested in their character?
    Yea, this would be a big problem. They could give a free character boost, but that's not going to compensate for all the lost time and progress.

So I guess we're stuck with them. A bit like the latest pandemic, they'll be a blight on the world forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    no we dont, shadowlands has shown that blizzard cant even balance the 11 we have
    So since balance can't be achieved with or without new classes, shouldn't Blizzard just put out new classes?

Yes for those who have and like multiple characters and play styles. No for myself who only plays a single toon. Having said yes for those who want more options, another class will add to the never ending balance issues. But that’s on blizzard and shouldn’t deny paying customers more options.

People say they really enjoyed WotLK, Legion, and MoP. Those expansions are usually considered top tier in terms of WoW experiences.

I know when I first played my Monk, I felt a strong connection to the expansion's theme

So yeah, I do think that new classes have a very powerful effect on how you approach the game as a player.
    For me, it's quite different reasons. Those expansions did a lot of things RIGHT.

The DK of Wrath was a brand new and exciting addition to the game, definitely, and the mechanics were awesome compared to what we have. I remember dungeon-running 5 DKs with none of us being the actual tank or healer, but we managed to do so simply due to the different Presences back then. And when I as a Diseaseless Blood DK in crappy dungeon blues outperformed a raidgeared Unholy so much that he asked me how the hell I was doing that much more than him, I was smiling from ear to ear. But that's not why I like WotLK. It was pretty much everything else about that expansion. From the questing experience that showed me the Lich King pretty much everywhere, to the dungeon and raiding experiences, the introduction of LFD and so on and so forth. It was awesome. But not "just" because of a new class being introduced.

Similarly for MoP, sure, I made a monk, but I still haven't really connected with the class after all these years. I like MoP, I like the zones, I liked how the game was back then, but something during the first few patches made me quit. I came back for the final patch and it was extremely fun again. I don't remember what they changed, but I liked it. More than I liked the monk.

For Legion, Blizzard did so many things right that it's hard for me to list it all. The DH class was merely a sidebonus and I do enjoy playing mine now and then, but again it is not a selling point for me. Monk and DH are actually my least played alt-classes, with the DK getting almost the same playtime as my primary alt over the years.

Of course we all have different reasons for liking or disliking this or that thing more than the other things. But for me, the selling point of an expansion has always been about the new content, not a new class or spec. I can play WoW from now until it shuts down without ever getting more classes or specs. Others may be turned off by that and it's fine. I don't care.