[TV] Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy: Siege, Earthrise and Kingdom

The new 3 part trilogy instalment coming to netflix. Siege, Earthrise and Kingdom

Siege

Earthrise:

The beauty about this is that it can actually fit the Generation 1 storyline. Tbh I've long since lost track of Transformer continuities, and if you ask me, Gen 1 was the best even though it's outdated.

This new trilogy uses the Gen 1 models too, and I must say they look much better than the ones used in the last 15 years. Although the movies seemed to have taken the story much further (in the last movie isn't Earth revealed to be a being like Unicron or something like that)?

Anyway it does make me wonder if they are going to retell the G1 series, or if they're going to tell around it, i.e. do before G1, with events that lead up to it, so you can then watch the 3 seasons of G1 including the first animated movie, then do after it

Gen 1 comics was pretty cool but my favourite animated continuity is the (relatively recent) Prime series.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Those first 2 are already out, right? I recall seeing Seige, at least, and thinking I should add it to my list.
    First two parts are on Netflix already, 3rd part is supposed to be on there around the end of May.

It's an alright series, but for a series calling itself Transformers there's not a lot of transforming

The absence of the usual VA's (notably, Peter Cullen) doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    First two parts are on Netflix already, 3rd part is supposed to be on there around the end of May.

It's an alright series, but for a series calling itself Transformers there's not a lot of transforming

The absence of the usual VA's (notably, Peter Cullen) doesn't help either.
    I noticed there was some criticism about Peter Cullen not being there.

But I also found it a nice touch that it and Bumblebee the movie used the G1 series transform sound fx. I prefer the transformer models of G1 anyway.

Tbh, G1 is the only one i have been able to watch all the way through. It's not like I don't like the others, but when I discovered G1 and started watching, I found it so easy to just chain watch, it gets really good at the first movie onwards. Looks like this new one has the characters and models from Gen 1

Apparently Kingdom is going to be based on the Beast Wars - which if I recall was supposed to be part of the Gen 1 continuity? Or have I gotten that wrong?

I grew up with G1, so I'm probably overly critical of anything new that they come out with.

This series is alright, assuming Megatron isn't lying, the reasoning behind the war is an interesting, though a mixed change (to me), the animation is decent, but some of the voice acting is down right awful (Ironhide & Shockwave for example), and doesn't fit some of the characters. Its a shame with all the crap Netflix puts out, this is the series they decide to cut corners on by using non union voice actors. I almost think 6 episodes is a little too short, especially with 20ish minute episodes.

I found Optimus's character in the first one to be really off. He just wasn't much of a leader.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to ask: how many times are they going to show us any story about the "war for Cybertron" that we haven't seen so many times before? You have the video games that show this, comics that show this, and now a new Netflix series? Aren't there any other Transformers story arcs that are interesting instead of the same "this is how it happened" we keep seeing over and over?

Also, this news reminds me of 'Transformers: Prime' that I absolutely loved.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand the designs and overall CGI. It looks faaaaarrr too much like someone just animated the toys. I understand the disconnect between toys and character appearances in most series, but this feels like striving for less in order to justify poorly designed toys.

The show isn't bad though, but I dislike the trend in giving Megatron "conflicted warlord" personality and Optimus "unworthy leader" syndrome.

Elita One has been a surprisingly good character though.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seen Earthrise and though you were talking about this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074C5PQQY...kindle_edition

Not sure if I'm disappointed yet or not.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I can't stand the designs and overall CGI. It looks faaaaarrr too much like someone just animated the toys. I understand the disconnect between toys and character appearances in most series, but this feels like striving for less in order to justify poorly designed toys.

The show isn't bad though, but I dislike the trend in giving Megatron "conflicted warlord" personality and Optimus "unworthy leader" syndrome.

Elita One has been a surprisingly good character though.
    I remember reading that they used the CAD files of the toys so that is why they, well, look like toys. Not sure if that made it easier to animate or help sell toys though, I imagine a bit of both probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmixalot View Post
    I remember reading that they used the CAD files of the toys so that is why they, well, look like toys. Not sure if that made it easier to animate or help sell toys though, I imagine a bit of both probably.
    Doesn't surprise me, it also doesn't really help that since Cyberverse there's been a decline in the quality of Transformers toys again. Was kinda hoping that a good show might bump it up a bit, but sadly no.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Gen 1 comics was pretty cool but my favourite animated continuity is the (relatively recent) Prime series.
    Prime had a lot of depth about the ramifications of the war, its result in Cybertron's desolate state and whether or not Prime's actions only created more problems than not. Also gave more sympathetic motives for Megatron; though I'm not sure his pit fighter background is original or a retread of another story told before.

The sequel series (I think it was called Robots in Disguise) even had a restored Cybertronian government calling prime a terrorist in one episode because he let the war drag on for too long.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Prime had a lot of depth about the ramifications of the war, its result in Cybertron's desolate state and whether or not Prime's actions only created more problems than not. Also gave more sympathetic motives for Megatron; though I'm not sure his pit fighter background is original or a retread of another story told before.

The sequel series (I think it was called Robots in Disguise) even had a restored Cybertronian government calling prime a terrorist in one episode because he let the war drag on for too long.
    In the original animated series Megatron was a freedom fighter who led the Cybertronians to freedom from the Quintessons, in that continuity the Transformers were built as slaves to be sold as military hardware (Decepticons) or consumer goods (Autobots.) I can't remember his exact origins in the comics but in that one the Transformers were the children of Primus created in preparation for the coming of Unicron, IIRC the divisions between Autobots and Decepticons came about from them reproducing for too many generations.

I liked Robots in Disguise but it seemed a bit more child-orientated than Prime and lacked the sense of epicness.

Which is the best transformers series?

Transformers: Generation 1
    1 The Transformers 98 September 17, 1984 November 11, 1987
    Movie The Transformers: The Movie August 8, 1986
    2 Transformers: The Headmasters 35 July 3, 1987 March 25, 1988
    3 Transformers: Super-God Masterforce 42 April 12, 1988 March 7, 1989
    4 Transformers: Victory 44 March 14, 1989 December 19, 1989
    OVA Transformers: Zone July 21, 1990
    5 Transformers: Generation 2 52 August 20, 1993 September 23, 1993

Beast Era
    6 Beast Wars: Transformers 52 September 16, 1996 March 7, 1999
    7 Beast Wars II 43 April 1, 1998 January 27, 1999
    Movie Beast Wars II: Lio Convoy's Close Call! December 19, 1998
    8 Beast Wars Neo 35 February 3, 1999 September 29, 1999
    9 Beast Machines 26 September 18, 1999 November 18, 2000
    10 Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2001) 39 April 5, 2000 December 27, 2000

Unicron Trilogy
    11 Transformers: Armada 52 August 23, 2002 December 26, 2003
    12 Transformers: Energon 51 January 9, 2004 December 24, 2004
    13 Transformers: Cybertron 52 January 8, 2005 December 31, 2005
    14 Transformers: Animated 42 December 26, 2007 May 23, 2009
    15 Transformers: Cyber Missions 13 January 21, 2010 September 29, 2010

Aligned continuity
    16 Transformers: Prime 65 November 29, 2010 July 26, 2013
    17 Transformers: Rescue Bots 104 February 18, 2012 October 22, 2016
    OVAs Transformers Go! 10 July 1, 2013 April 1, 2014
    Movie Transformers Prime Beast Hunters: Predacons Rising October 4, 2013
    18 Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015) 71 March 14, 2015 November 11, 2017
    19 Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy 78 January 5, 2019 present

Prime Wars Trilogy
    20 Transformers: Combiner Wars 8 August 2, 2016 September 20, 2016
    21 Transformers: Titans Return 10 November 14, 2017 January 9, 2018
    22 Transformers: Power of the Primes 10 May 1, 2018 July 3, 2018
    23 Transformers: Cyberverse 62 August 27, 2018 June 7, 2020

War for Cybertron Trilogy
    24 Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy: Siege[3] 6 July 30, 2020
    25 Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy: Earthrise 6 December 30, 2020
    26 Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy: Kingdom 6 May 30, 2021

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post

Transformers: Generation 1
    1 The Transformers 98 September 17, 1984 November 11, 1987
    Movie The Transformers: The Movie August 8, 1986
    2 Transformers: The Headmasters 35 July 3, 1987 March 25, 1988
    3 Transformers: Super-God Masterforce 42 April 12, 1988 March 7, 1989
    4 Transformers: Victory 44 March 14, 1989 December 19, 1989
    OVA Transformers: Zone July 21, 1990
    5 Transformers: Generation 2 52 August 20, 1993 September 23, 1993

Beast Era
    6 Beast Wars: Transformers 52 September 16, 1996 March 7, 1999
    7 Beast Wars II 43 April 1, 1998 January 27, 1999
    Movie Beast Wars II: Lio Convoy's Close Call! December 19, 1998
    8 Beast Wars Neo 35 February 3, 1999 September 29, 1999
    9 Beast Machines 26 September 18, 1999 November 18, 2000
    10 Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2001) 39 April 5, 2000 December 27, 2000

Unicron Trilogy
    11 Transformers: Armada 52 August 23, 2002 December 26, 2003
    12 Transformers: Energon 51 January 9, 2004 December 24, 2004
    13 Transformers: Cybertron 52 January 8, 2005 December 31, 2005
    14 Transformers: Animated 42 December 26, 2007 May 23, 2009
    15 Transformers: Cyber Missions 13 January 21, 2010 September 29, 2010

Aligned continuity
    16 Transformers: Prime 65 November 29, 2010 July 26, 2013
    17 Transformers: Rescue Bots 104 February 18, 2012 October 22, 2016
    OVAs Transformers Go! 10 July 1, 2013 April 1, 2014
    Movie Transformers Prime Beast Hunters: Predacons Rising October 4, 2013
    18 Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015) 71 March 14, 2015 November 11, 2017
    19 Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy 78 January 5, 2019 present

Prime Wars Trilogy
    20 Transformers: Combiner Wars 8 August 2, 2016 September 20, 2016
    21 Transformers: Titans Return 10 November 14, 2017 January 9, 2018
    22 Transformers: Power of the Primes 10 May 1, 2018 July 3, 2018
    23 Transformers: Cyberverse 62 August 27, 2018 June 7, 2020

War for Cybertron Trilogy
    24 Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy: Siege[3] 6 July 30, 2020
    25 Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy: Earthrise 6 December 30, 2020
    26 Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy: Kingdom 6 May 30, 2021
    Are you...asking a question here? Like, some of these series never even aired in the USA, and the redub on Transformers Prime in Japan completely changes some characters. Further, #26 hasn't actually aired yet so I'm not sure how we're supposed to vote on if that's our favorite. Further, why is Transformers: Animated part of the Unicron Trilogy? Animated is almost a complete retelling of the landing on earth and subsequent battle there, while it's predecessors are, first and foremost Japanese and also a complete retelling of the landing and battle on earth.

So, whats up there bub?

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Are you...asking a question here? Like, some of these series never even aired in the USA, and the redub on Transformers Prime in Japan completely changes some characters. Further, #26 hasn't actually aired yet so I'm not sure how we're supposed to vote on if that's our favorite. Further, why is Transformers: Animated part of the Unicron Trilogy? Animated is almost a complete retelling of the landing on earth and subsequent battle there, while it's predecessors are, first and foremost Japanese and also a complete retelling of the landing and battle on earth.

So, whats up there bub?
    Dunno, I guess which ones you found the most engaging or liked the most. You don't have to have watched or seen all to express your interest or pick your fave tbh, I don't expect anyone to have seen all of them, it's so much,

I loved beast wars and how it tied into g1

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I loved beast wars and how it tied into g1
    Yeh.. I like that the G1 continuum extended, but I read the desriptions on wikipedia for most of these series, they get really weird after aw hile esepcially the japanese continuations of G1.

It also seems they did try to keep one continuum together, but eventually gave up and had a few resets.

It seems that from Transformers Armada (the Unicron series) there have been resets every time, no idea which one War of Cybertron Trilogy is based in or if it itself is a new continuum - G1 is due a spice up, but it's a cartoon, they're ageless, you could re-run G1 again, and kids would love it. The toyline simply need be revived.

Don't know if it will work or worth it. Is transformers shifting from mainly being a massive toy advert to a serious entertainment franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Transformers Prime without a doubt. I still have a lot of affection for G1 but there's no denying the ropey animation quality and dumb plot-lines of some episodes. Prime feels like a redo of G1 with an eye towards upping the quality across the board; what happened to Cliffjumper in the three-part intro was absolutely brutal, Arcee's guilt and PTSD over what happened to him was very well done and while I was initially annoyed at the inclusion of a bunch of kids it was good to see Ratchet share my sentiment and, as with him, they grew on me over time.