10+ Year Old Account

Cannot get Bluetooth to work for the life of me.

I purchased a cheapie BT adapter to use for my desktop and a wireless speaker. The speaker works fine because it connects to my laptop and phone flawlessly.

The first BT adapter worked once, and after that gave driver issues. I actually looked at the amazon account I bought it from, and it had 2 reviews, both saying 'didnt work'. My bad. Returned it.

The second BT adapter had 800+ reviews, with about 90% 4-5 ratings. Okay, not being a dummy this time. Still a cheapie unit. It worked a little better, but still having similar issues where I'm unable to connect, AND unable to remove the BT device. Worked like twice.

I have tried multiple USB ports, USB 2, 3, a hub. NOtably, both units are CSR, as far as I can tell. Are Bluetooth adapters all just bad? Is CSR bad? Is there a brand that I need to pony up $30 for to get it to work right?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I have a cheapo CSR bluetooth adapter and I had trouble getting it to work as well. Turns out it doesn't work properly in Windows if you use CSR's own driver for it, so I replaced it with a generic microsoft bluetooth driver and it started working perfectly. It's worth a shot in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using an asus BT adapter, didn't had any problem with it, but i only use it to conect to my smartphone.

You know your stuff so I'll keep this straightforward.

Device Manager > find the bluetooth device (may be listed as CSR or similar) > Update driver > Browse my computer > pick from a list > pick Generic Bluetooth Radio.

Give that a try!
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    You know your stuff so I'll keep this straightforward.

Device Manager > find the bluetooth device (may be listed as CSR or similar) > Update driver > Browse my computer > pick from a list > pick Generic Bluetooth Radio.

Give that a try!
    This sort of got it working. But it stops working after 1 use, and I have to unplug and replug the adapter every time or every reboot, which is the exact behavior just about every search of "Bluetooth adapter doesnt work" comes up with.

I can't tell if bluetooth adapters suck, CSR units suck, or if cheap BT adapters suck.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This sort of got it working. But it stops working after 1 use, and I have to unplug and replug the adapter every time or every reboot, which is the exact behavior just about every search of "Bluetooth adapter doesnt work" comes up with.

I can't tell if bluetooth adapters suck, CSR units suck, or if cheap BT adapters suck.
    I have the same type of issue where my audio is stuttering over Bluetooth. Only with my desktop pc, with laptops it works like a charm. I can try to reconnect it a couple of times or use the windows bluetooth troubleshooter and it might get a steady connection at random. Once it is connected well it will just keep working until i turn it off at the end of the day.

Ive basically given up at this point and using a wired connection. But still kind of sad that i cant use my not so cheap noise canceling headphones to the fullest.

7+ Year Old Account
    I had a similar issue when I built my latest main machine, which is running windows 10. I have 3 different BT adapters. None of them work with my windows 10 box. However, each of them work perfectly fine with my win 7 box.

Did a lot of google searches when I first ran into the issue a couple years back but never found anything that resolved the issue for me. Curious to see if someone comes up with a solution here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine decides randomly to work/not work. Sometimes it will sync instantly, other times i have to play with the sync button for 20min till it randomly starts working.

The bluetooth built onto my motherboard works instantly everytime though...

Think adapters just suck

I bought a CSR 4.0 adapter two years ago, primarily for use with my Lenovo Explorer controllers, but I also use it with Xbox One S controller & my 8Bitdo SNES controller (I have also used it with Switch JoyCons, but only for editing the colours when I reshelled them).

Here's the (outdated) link, if it helps find a compatible adapter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073CF6993/
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Just an update: I picked an Asus BT-400 adapter that uses a Broadcom chipset. After updating the drivers from the website and rebooting, it seems to work perfectly. I guess the issue is just CSR compatibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Just an update: I picked an Asus BT-400 adapter that uses a Broadcom chipset. After updating the drivers from the website and rebooting, it seems to work perfectly. I guess the issue is just CSR compatibility.
    Sometimes its better to pay extra money for stuff, and these asus BT adapter aren't that expensive.