Thread: Valheim

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a very fun game for people who like builder/survival games. Terraria, Minecraft, Grounded, Raft, etc etc. It hits a lot of right spots that people like in those games.

I like it. Knew I would the moment a tree fell on me, don't kink shame. I would not recommend it to people unless I know they enjoy particular games though.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It's a very fun game for people who like builder/survival games. Terraria, Minecraft, Grounded, Raft, etc etc. It hits a lot of right spots that people like in those games.

I like it. Knew I would the moment a tree fell on me, don't kink shame. I would not recommend it to people unless I know they enjoy particular games though.
    Or they dont know how to ride a boat in real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlingBlackLabel View Post

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it of course. However, Rust has been out for seven years, Valheim is only 22 days old.
    And just like with Rust, if I had tried Rust in its initial form I'd have hated it. Legacy Rust looks like ass, looks like it handled like ass, had sound design that sounded like ass, was basically ass in every single possible aspect..Valheim would of had a better chance at immersing me than Legacy Rust. Though Rust is probably the only Steam game to truly release in an early alpha state (that will/did release) and it drastically evolved over time. I started in 2016 and fell in love with the game, but that was after they had changed nearly everything about the game; engine, graphics, building, animations, models, sound effects/design/fidelity, etc.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2021-02-25 at 12:42 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    I normally dont really enjoy survival, but this game really just kinda hit a sweet spot where i can actually have fun. Might be the hunger system isn't super punishing. Also, the progression seems pretty straight forward and the building is fun.

I just wished I was more creative. I always end up building boxes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    It's a good game, but it's suffering from that overblown exposition that got Fall Guys and then Among Us.

As in, it's a meme.
    "Suffering"? 3 million copies sold is probably beyond the devs wildest dreams, even if its a horrible game and dies off tomorrow. Weird use of the word suffering in regards to a success story.

Four million now
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    "Suffering"? 3 million copies sold is probably beyond the devs wildest dreams, even if its a horrible game and dies off tomorrow. Weird use of the word suffering in regards to a success story.
    Pardon me and my unfamiliarity with the english vocabulary.

On the other hand, excessive exposition go hand-to-hand with unrealistic expectations.

Pretty much just the game I was looking for at the time of it's release. A survival game that's not gruelingly punishing and with a decently fleshed out crafting system. I also like the ease of traversing the map especially the portal system, the mats are easy to farm. My first death was also from a falling tree. It's also pretty neat that everything is a skill to level up.

Mostly excited to see what else they add to the game. Especially with the level of success it's had. I'd like to see more cooking combos and combinations of items in the long run. (Things like: Mushroom soup, frost bombs, a poison weapon of some sort like the mace)

Another game I want to check out at some point is Grounded. A honey I shrunk the kids type of survival game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Monster Hunter meets Fortnight... not the worst mashup.
    I don't know if those are the two games i'd say this game is a mashup of. It's like Minecraft and Dark Souls with some RPG bosses and story to move you through the biomes. You can play with others and risk letting in griefers, but you can play solo or with specific friends.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2021-02-24 at 09:48 PM.
    I'm a thread killer.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's tiny, looks decent for the size and type of look it's going for, has some of the best building of any of the survival games out there, an actual progression system of bosses and biomes that makes sense and feels pretty good, sailing is fun, it's $20 and EA, and was made by 5 people. It's going to go places, and I'm excited to be there when it does!

BIG CON THOUGH: If you have shitty internet (like I do), the game runs on a P2P network, which means if you're playing with buddies you can lag out the whole server for everyone and it can quickly become unplayable, though I expect with the huge amount of money they've made they'll probably put in dedicated servers at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I normally dont really enjoy survival, but this game really just kinda hit a sweet spot where i can actually have fun. Might be the hunger system isn't super punishing. Also, the progression seems pretty straight forward and the building is fun.

I just wished I was more creative. I always end up building boxes lol.
    Nothing wrong with that. Boxes are kinda best for stability of the start of the game till you unlock iron beams. My only realy anoying thing is when you have to build a roof and a snaping point from looking up is realy small on hitbox to place.

Also dont build to big as it will start to lag a little . But a simple solution is to place portals betwen buildings to speed up load times.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Name one game where you can get killed by a falling tree
    The original Crysis.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    Such a fun game so far... oh, except that it's horridly optimized and my modern rig only somehow gets an average of 10 fps in the game. I have been driven mad all week trying to play this game with my friends for whom the game runs perfectly fine. I have singled out every component and all I can seem to find online is that the game is early access and is bottlenecking my CPU because of poor optimization. This fun ass game, that everyone is playing, I kinda just... cant, lol. Feelsbadman.jpg

Highly recommend to everyone else though!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/com...ide_gained_an/

I think its mostly the unity engine, but technically speaking it is an optimization issue. There are work arounds and it seems the better the rig, the better gains from the above fixes.

I'm 80 ish hours in on this game. I think it's near perfect. Running a dedicated server with 4-7 friends playing and its been a fucking blast.

Honestly, reading some responses, I can tell most haven't really played the game that claimed they did.

What amazes me the most is that they achieved to put all those features together (terraforming, boat travel, weather impacting gameplay, pre-fab building, underground dungeons, procedurally generated islands, 5 biomes, etc.) in just a couple years and a few developers. No idea how they succeeded in creating such a polished game considering the limited resources.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Typically don't like building games, but I like this one.

It could be optimized better, but still way better optimized than fucking Ark was and the combat is still better than a lot of games in the same genre. While the graphics look bad up close, mid range and beyond looks really good and the lightning and water effects make up for other shortfalls. Besides optimization, the only thing I would like to see improved is HD weapons/armor. You can tell the difference between the armor types, but it looks so muddy and bad.

The game to me is basically a 3D Terraria/Star bound. I generally shy away from building aspects in these games but something about this one stuck to me and made me addicted to building. If you like either of these games there's a high chance you will love the game.

It's really not a survival game and I don't know if it should be compared to them. You don't need to eat, sleep (although it advances the day if everybody on the server does), and no need for hydration in this game. This basically means when you want to sit down and build stuff you can ignore the above aspects un-interrupted, which is way preferable to me than other games in the genre. I'd call it survival lite basically. It's a lot like BoTW where it's highly beneficial (and recommended) that you interact with the food and cooking system as the buffs you get from having different foods on are enormous (HP regen, higher base health pool, and higher maximum stamina). You can make multiple of the same tool, and there are uses for them, but the game repairs your shit for free at the appropriate work bench so while you might have a couple pickaxes laying around, you don't have to make 500 of them like in some games.

Love the game and I'm approaching 100 hours played, so it was well worth the 20 bucks. Friend bought a dedicated server and there's anywhere from 2-6 of us playing at any one time. Sailing is probably my favorite part of the game.

Lots of updates planned for this year too apparently so when I'm "done" with the game I'll probably wait a few content patches before starting fresh again and checking out the new biomes. Right now there's 6 biomes in the game (if you count the ocean), but realistically there's only 5 each with a unique boss. I believe they plan on having 9 in total, and while you can visit those other 3 biomes in the game currently, they aren't really populated with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    BIG CON THOUGH: If you have shitty internet (like I do), the game runs on a P2P network, which means if you're playing with buddies you can lag out the whole server for everyone and it can quickly become unplayable, though I expect with the huge amount of money they've made they'll probably put in dedicated servers at some point.
    Yes, this is the only main concern I have to be honest. My friends and I have all chipped in for a dedicated server so it's up all the time and the lag isn't too bad but when we were playing on one person's seed it wasn't fun at times. I'm sure it will be addressed as you say so not too worried, yet.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am genuinely enjoying this game. I was never into minecraft, rust, or any other game it could possibly be compared with. It's probably the most fun I have had with a game since I started playing WoW in 2009. Could I have fun in Valheim for 10+ years. No. But Imma keep tearing it up for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seen a thor hammer today in stormy sea

It's fun for a few days.

It's fun, but definitely overhyped.

Could definitely use a balancing patch and some QOL adjustments but it's overall a great game, but it's obviously designed for coop play, expect a ton of work if you play solo.

Also expect to die a ton to a good deal of BS while you are learning the game though. Take a ship to a far off land and die without setting up a portal? The game will basically tell you to start over since you can't get your stuff. Thankfully, there are cheats in the game, so you can really play it hard as you want.