Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    From what I understand, WoW lore was influenced by Babylon 5 lore. That makes me NOT want to watch Babylon 5 LOL.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I find it absolutely astonishing how underrated this show is. You get multiple reincarnations of Star Trek, multiple reruns, but B5...NOTHING. It's like it vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    I find it absolutely astonishing how underrated this show is. You get multiple reincarnations of Star Trek, multiple reruns, but B5...NOTHING. It's like it vanished.
    B5 did get another iteration, a show called Babylon 5: Crusade.

It's... how do I put this... Oh yeah: it's probably the worst piece of garbage ever to darken the television screens of the world.

That's why you never heard another peep out of the B5 universe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    JMS has said on various occasions that the WB execs who were in power when the show was done didn't like it, and they prevented anything further from being done or at minimal budget like the Lost Tales, and were content to just let it sit gathering dust in the WB "vault". I'm guessing those execs are gone or on their way out, and thats why the remaster was done. If it garners enough attention on HBO Max, perhaps we'll see something in development.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    People "slam" it because it's 90s era CGI that looks like 90s era CGI. There's nothing wrong with it, since they chose to keep everything CGI and didn't try to integrate it with realistic looking models or sets, and it holds up fine in that sense. But I don't think there's a world where the B5 stuff is even remotely "ten or twenty years ahead" of what they were doing in TNG and DS9... The styles were simply different.

I mean hell, the BSG remake was literally 10 years later, and even the VFX in that series shows its age:
    There were budgetary reasons for keeping everything CGI. I'm sure if they would have had the budget for models they would have done more of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    From what I understand, WoW lore was influenced by Babylon 5 lore. That makes me NOT want to watch Babylon 5 LOL.
    You're missing out. WoW lore may have been influenced by B5 lore, but only one of those two got it right. And it ain't WoW.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    There were budgetary reasons for keeping everything CGI. I'm sure if they would have had the budget for models they would have done more of them.
    Actually back then, CGI was considered superior to models. If you released something using models, you got laughed at. It felt like the Star Wars prequels caused many fans to flip back and prefer models again. So by 2005, models were considered superior.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    B5 did get another iteration, a show called Babylon 5: Crusade.

It's... how do I put this... Oh yeah: it's probably the worst piece of garbage ever to darken the television screens of the world.

That's why you never heard another peep out of the B5 universe.
    Not quite true...there's also "The Legend of the Rangers" that was setup to be a "soft pilot" for a new series.

It made Crusade look like high art :P
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    not good. https://www.space.com/babylon-5-rema...itunes-hbo-max

"Tragically, the remaster retains a 4:3 aspect ratio — not 16:9 — even though the show was filmed for widescreen and released on DVD in widescreen. "

big oof. the one i have currently is widescreen.

some pictures here: looks like the filmed parts are true widescreen, but the CGI parts are cropped 4:3.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/babylon5/co...versions_from/
    Yep, that was because apparently back in the day they did actually render the CGI in 4:3 even though they filmed it in 16:9. Shame really.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Not quite true...there's also "The Legend of the Rangers" that was setup to be a "soft pilot" for a new series.

It made Crusade look like high art :P
    I didn't see Crusade but Legend of the Rangers was the worst of the movies for sure. Even G'Kar couldn't save it.

Ok. I finished watching it. This is good TV!

A much better use of AT&T's money than Zack Snyder playing with himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Ok. I finished watching it. This is good TV!

A much better use of AT&T's money than Zack Snyder playing with himself.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Its definitely a series that deserves more recognition. I'm almost done season 4 (again lol) and its still fascinating to watch, and feel for some of the characters, even though I know how it all plays out.

Got a few questions for B5 fanatics. I watched the entire series and all the films, except for Crusade.

IMDB says the following about the last episode: "The toast to absent friends mentions those who have died. They were: G'Kar and Londo, who killed each other due to Drakh influence; Lennier, who was killed in action during the Telepath War; and Marcus Cole, who gave his life so that Susan Ivanova could live."

Questions:
    1. I remember that scene with G'Kar and Londo strangling each other, but wasn't that a dream by Londo? How can I know that was going to be a "true" event in B5?

2. How am I supposed to know from the main series that Lennier died later? Was that in Crusade or something?

3. What is up with the gift (jar) that Londo gives to Sheridan and Delenn for their son (with the Drakh mind control creature inside)? Does that connect to any later events?

Last edited by deepr; 2021-03-25 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post

Questions:
    1. I remember that scene with G'Kar and Londo strangling each other, but wasn't that a dream by Londo? How can I know that was going to be a "true" event in B5?

I don't really know for your questions 2 and 3, but for question 1 : when they go back to babylon 4 the 2nd time, sheridan is sent through time and he see the older Londo, and then Delenn. after this scene old G'Kar approach Londo and they finish that "old business" they never could aka the same scene than Londo's dream.

Got a few questions for B5 fanatics. I watched the entire series and all the films, except for Crusade.

IMDB says the following about the last episode: "The toast to absent friends mentions those who have died. They were: G'Kar and Londo, who killed each other due to Drakh influence; Lennier, who was killed in action during the Telepath War; and Marcus Cole, who gave his life so that Susan Ivanova could live."

Questions:

2. How am I supposed to know from the main series that Lennier died later? Was that in Crusade or something?

3. What is up with the gift (jar) that Londo gives to Sheridan and Delenn for their son (with the Drakh mind control creature inside)? Does that connect to any later events?

Questions:
    1. Yes, they strangled each other just as seen in the vision and then happening in one of the movies.
    2. Books and plans discussed by Straczynski, see if you can find boosk and more about the Telepath War.
    3. Yes, it results in the Drakhs using their son to sow further chaos in the galaxy. [URL="https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/David_Sheridan_II"]https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/David_Sheridan_II[/URL]
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Questions:

1. Londo was having a prophetic dream, I'd argue due to Vorlon manipulation, everyone was psychic to some degree, with most not having the gene strong enough to do more than see glimpses of the future. It ultimately did come to play out as he dreamt, if the timeline Sheridan saw couldn't be changed as Delenn claimed.

2. As far as I know, Lennier would have died off screen, as the last we see of him, he just left. It might have been a planned storyline that ultimately never came to fruition.

3. Attaching the Keeper to Sheridan & Delenn's son was just another way for the Drakh to strike back at them over the loss of the Shadow war. I believe it was covered in greater details in some of the novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Wishing that Warners would spend $70 million on a B5 reboot or Reshoots instead of whatever Zack Snyder is doing.
    I am with you. This show was absolutely amazing. I know they tried to push forward with B5 after the original run and TV movies but Rangers just feel utterly flat.

But some time has passed and maybe a new show could pop up somewhere in the timeline. Problem is the show was so damn complete that it basically covered the history of most the galaxy within the "human window" of spices. They could of course go to the past. But sci-fi that goes prequel is pretty much major hit or major flop so I worry about that (it is also pretty over done at this point). Or way into the future with new species. Might be interesting if it's from another races perspective and humans at that time are one of the "first ones" to see it spin from that angle. Would definitely fit the beats the show kind of illustrates that history is a big cycle that kind of repeats in slightly different ways.

Who knows though. I probably would watch it though. I just hope they didn't turn it into American political parody that a lot of new shows seem to reboot into these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I am with you. This show was absolutely amazing. I know they tried to push forward with B5 after the original run and TV movies but Rangers just feel utterly flat.

But some time has passed and maybe a new show could pop up somewhere in the timeline. Problem is the show was so damn complete that it basically covered the history of most the galaxy within the "human window" of spices. They could of course go to the past. But sci-fi that goes prequel is pretty much major hit or major flop so I worry about that (it is also pretty over done at this point). Or way into the future with new species. Might be interesting if it's from another races perspective and humans at that time are one of the "first ones" to see it spin from that angle. Would definitely fit the beats the show kind of illustrates that history is a big cycle that kind of repeats in slightly different ways.

Who knows though. I probably would watch it though. I just hope they didn't turn it into American political parody that a lot of new shows seem to reboot into these days.
    With baseline competent showrunners, it would be bigger than Game of Thrones. With jM Straczynski and the Wachowskis it might be epic.

The G'Kar-Londo dialogues would be like Tyrion and Varys, but with actual stakes. Replacing bottom tier actors like Bill Mumy with standard bit players from the BBC would really elevate the show as well. And Sens8 style love scenes for all of the sexposition fans.

Thanks for the answers, that clears things up.

I have to say "In The Beginning" might be the best "prequel" sci-fi movie ever. I watched it immediately after Season 4 Episode 9 as recommended online and it felt like the perfect moment to watch it. Really well done. And it's essential to the main show IMO. Can't say the same for the other movies (except The Gathering). They range from mediocre to (extremely) bad and aren't essential to the main story.

Something about a sequel series feels off to me, considering the way the final episodes of season 4 and 5 bring closure.
    Just before his end Sheridan said to Lorien something like: "I still have so many questions..." and Lorien replied "as it's supposed to be". That was just perfect.
    Last edited by deepr; 2021-03-26 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    With baseline competent showrunners, it would be bigger than Game of Thrones. With jM Straczynski and the Wachowskis it might be epic.

The G'Kar-Londo dialogues would be like Tyrion and Varys, but with actual stakes. Replacing bottom tier actors like Bill Mumy with standard bit players from the BBC would really elevate the show as well. And Sens8 style love scenes for all of the sexposition fans.
    I agree it could be for sure. You could really take it places even in a pure reboot. I just try not to get my hopes up because often they get shattered. I would be pumped if it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I agree it could be for sure. You could really take it places even in a pure reboot. I just try not to get my hopes up because often they get shattered. I would be pumped if it happened.
    B5 is one of the few shows that an actual reboot could work. They could actually do Sinclair's full story instead of what they had to do with swapping in Sheridan.

I wouldn't mind a series based on the Dilgar war either.