Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    He also added forcibly inserting your sex organ into an animal to befriend it. I'm 99% certain no other film tried using that message in their film.
    This sounds like a weird grudge. A body part can have multiple uses. He’s not raping the flying thing into obedience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    He also added forcibly inserting your sex organ into an animal to befriend it. I'm 99% certain no other film tried using that message in their film.
    I think that was in the deleted scenes of The Lorax...

But honestly I keep trying to forget that was a part of Avatar. It was really weird, and I'm not even sure I could consider that creative because it seems more like an idea no one else did because they realize "Wow that would be really weird".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I think it has to do with being able to imagine that different people like different things and as also Titanic proved, Cameron is great at hitting the greatest common denominator of a broad audience. The Critical Drinker made a good video about it IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNeEGBDTnig&t=38s
    They make money not just because they’re good, but they appeal to women (which is essentially what you’re calling the common denominator.) Few blockbusters have majority female audiences, but they carried titanic and avatar. He gives people who don’t normally have a reason to see a big scale movie something to be excited about.
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

This is the only Avatar worth watching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Oh how that "appeal to women" backfired with Ghostbusters 2016 and the most recent Charlie's angels.
    I said they appeal to women, not make an appeal to women.

Also I saw the recent Charlie’s angels, and I watched the first two when they came out. This one’s s about as good as you can expect a movie from that franchise to be. Not like it’s a hallmark of depth or quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    They make money not just because they’re good, but they appeal to women (which is essentially what you’re calling the common denominator.) Few blockbusters have majority female audiences, but they carried titanic and avatar. He gives people who don’t normally have a reason to see a big scale movie something to be excited about.
    I have a hard time believing that is true for Avatar. While it's only one source, Cinemascore's exit polling had it at 57% male/43% female. Titanic was about the opposite, so point taken there. But thematically (broad demographic) I tend to agree with you--plenty of interviews with Cameron talking about the demographic he aimed for with Avatar and it's always the same type of answer of "none--I tried to make it for everyone" (this is about more than just gender). Starting with T2, he began to demonstrate an ability to create movies that have such broad appeal.

Avatar is a weird case. It's the most unpopular, popular movie of all time it seems. It has barely any pop culture footprint. It made a ton of money but it feels challenging to really nail down the 'why' perfectly. It didn't have a big opening weekend (or any big weekends), it just went on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Do you guys remember when the Internet was going crazy with trying to make 'Endgame' the top dog? People were saying everywhere on social media to go see Endgame like 10 times per person so it could beat out Avatar.
    No, I have zero recollection of this at all.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was lame before and it's still lame now. James Cameron is also similarly overrated.

Avatar is only good in 3D, in theaters. They keep re-releasing it periodically because people will only want to re-watch it in theaters.

So one keeps making money over and over because of re-releases. The other isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    How avatar is such a big movie is beyond me in the first place. Was such a bad movie.
    I'm not sure if you remember 2009, but back then CGI movies hadn't become common place yet. This was the movie that kicked off the CGI blockbuster craze. No one had seen anything like it before, and in a way, no one has really seen anything like Avatar since. It was a movie really about the spectacle and the immersive world, and I haven't seen any film do something like that since. It's why I (and a lot of others) are excited to see Avatar 2, to explore more of that crazy world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    This is the only Avatar worth watching.
    ATLA is okay.

Korra was awful.

How avatar is such a big movie is beyond me in the first place. Was such a bad movie.
    What are you talking about? It wasn't bad, it's in my top favorite movies. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I think that was in the deleted scenes of The Lorax...
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    This sounds like a weird grudge. A body part can have multiple uses. He’s not raping the flying thing into obedience.
    A weird grudge? Why ?

Yeah a body part can have multiple uses but if you use your dick to try and wipe something off someone's face I don't think they are going to be happy about it.

And even if it wasn't rape it was still a forced spiritual connection/domination or what ever the heck it was by inserting a body part into a dragon/bird.

Avatar both bores me and leaves me in awe. Such an interesting movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good on Avatar. If the MCU was gonna be petty and re-release Endgame just to beat it, then Avatar should do it right back. I know I shouldn't care, but for some reason I do.

Are most of you too young to remember or realize that movies getting re released has been an ongoing thing since the 40's? Granted Avatar may getting it done just to top Endgame again but this will be like the 3rd or 4th release for it. The original Star Wars has been rereleased a bunch of times and Gone with the Wind did as well as most Disney animated films. They do it because it makes money. Avatar may have been planned to get rereleased regardless.

Avatar 2 better be mindblowing because damn have they raised the bar for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avatar's a really fantastic set of 3D film technologies using a deeply and unforgiveably racist White Saviour plot as its main thread, and with one of the least imaginative sci-fi settings I have ever made myself sit through. The worst part is how little respect it had for its own setting; the writers clearly did not give any kinds of shit about what was being put in that script.

Hell, the magic space rocks they're mining are calling "unobtainium". A bit of jargon dating way back to the '50s to refer to any materials or resources too costly/difficult to access. Like, call it "gravrock", or "lithicite", or "hawkingium". There's three ideas pulled out of my ass without thinking about it and each of them is better than fucking "unobtainium". They also don't have a real meaning in the real world, unlike unobtainium.

The ecosystem is just "what if jungle, but everything has an extra set of legs it isn't evolved to make use of because we're fucking terrible at this". Seriously, the Navi horses are just horses with 2 extra legs and those extra legs don't even change the Navi-horse's gait.

Just colossally fucking stupid and insulting on pretty much every level it tried to say something on.

But it sure looks purty in 3D if you disengage your brain and shovel popcorn in your front-cavity to try and sop up the drool dripping down your chin.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Yes.

It's 2021 and 'Avatar' is coming back swinging at 'Avengers: Endgame' for that top spot thanks to China.
    I think if the category is going to be as big as they want to make it, they should separate it into global release and then re-release. Hasn't Avatar been re-released like 10 times by now? While End Game has made 1 or 2 re-releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Good on Avatar. If the MCU was gonna be petty and re-release Endgame just to beat it, then Avatar should do it right back. I know I shouldn't care, but for some reason I do.
    Depends on point of view I guess. At least End Game when it released has some extra footage to it. Granted it wasn't really anything spectacular, but still extra footage. I don't think any of the Avatar one's had anything extra just "Here is the movie again".

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    To be fair, Avatar has already had multiple re-releases as well. And we're likely going to see Endgame get another re-release as well...and then Avatar again when Avatar 2 finally comes out.

It's pointless dickwaving, really. End of the day...whichever film "wins"...all that money goes to Disney now anyway.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

So both have made obscene amounts of money? cool.