How do you kite as a tank?

I'm reaching higher keys and facetanked mostly everything, however I'm unsure how to kite, I'm practising in SD and the space seems tight to move around that dps pull extra adds or it the travelling time back to position takes too long.

What class do you play? Easiest way to learn to kite, is like to plan your pull, and know how much DMG you can take to the face. Maybe your group can help out with for example, Typhoon, Roots, Ring etc!

Quote Originally Posted by yuze View Post
    I'm reaching higher keys and facetanked mostly everything, however I'm unsure how to kite, I'm practising in SD and the space seems tight to move around that dps pull extra adds or it the travelling time back to position takes too long.
    I would say the 3 most important things are as follows:
    1) Dont backpedal - always face your target(s) but strafe left and right, never back.
    2) Know where any adds/mobs are that move, commonly referred to as patrols. Pulling additional patrolling packs will almost always result in a wipe or unnecessary big CD usage.
    3) Plan your route. Its quite common to have to kill a singular pack, or maybe even 2-3 packs one by one, to then allow you to pull a "double pack" without risk of ballsing it up. This is all about which direction you are going to take and where you are going to head to once you have engaged the mobs.

Basic stuff I know but I wanted to try and help

It's not that hard.
    Run in > put your defensives up > as they are finishing just use any kind of cc/call for any kind of cc and run away.
    As Veng:
    Jump > demon spikes/fiery brand > do some dmg and as they are finishing jump away and spam glaive
    For Warrior:
    Run in > as your defensives are running out showckwave or something > intercept to your healer/ranged DPS
    Same for Monk.
    For Pala you can horse away.
    As Guardian you rarely have to run ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    It's not that hard.
    Run in > put your defensives up > as they are finishing just use any kind of cc/call for any kind of cc and run away.
    It's also not that easy. You have to make sure not to get hit in the back while running away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drop death and decay then jump around the mobs outside of their autoattack range while spamming chains of ice and bloodboil.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

The key really is knowing your escape route. Know this before you even go in. Then go in with defensives up, see them getting low b-line though that escape path. Be sure to strife out to not turn your back to the mobs or if you got some jumpy rotate skills and certain abilities to get you out fast. It does take practice because a few packs present different challenges. Also getting your timing right on getting out and managing your escape route without making other pulls or killing your DPS with cleaves and such.

It is one of those things that is insanely easy to do but can take some time to truly master.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yuze View Post
    If ur dpsers pulls extra adds they are just bad. Change ur dpsers. Whats ur tank class? SD in general is hard. Routing is important and managin ur space to kite/not pull other shit around. Almost did sd15 last night. We were 4.97 sec over time T_T to many deaths at start.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    It's also not that easy. You have to make sure not to get hit in the back while running away.
    Strafing will avoid the hits to the back, just keep them in the "front half" of your orientation until they are out of range, then full turn, run and jump, spin camera midjump to get another ability off (like another chains or something, or maybe a mass grip to a chains'd mob near the back of the pack), and continue.

This is something I see a fair bit of tanks doing, where they just turn (some even via keyboard...) and run away.
    Don't turn fully, just sideways and strafe, because strafe is still full running speed and it reduces back hit angles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was Titanforge Podcast that covered a few specific kiting strategies and approaches to large pulls.

Baseline is knowing how much room you have to work with and how well your DPS can burst down the packs. Also for consideration is the initial direction of the pull: forward or backwards.

Both have advantages and disadvantages:

In forward direction, you're generally pulling forward to the next add pack. So in SD first hall way, you would try to grab the 2nd add pack so they come into the 1st add pack then kite towards the brute (and other adds) at the end of the hallway. If done properly, there's minimal travel time to the next pack and the brute. But the problem is that you do run out of room (red line) as eventually you get to the next trash pack.

In the backward direction, you're pulling the 1st pack up to the 2nd pack then pulling backwards towards the entrance. Generally speaking, you get more room the further you do this because typically, adds behind you are already dead (or non-existent at the start of the dungeon). But you're trading safety for more time spent because now you have to re-travel up to the next pack

---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

As paladin, the talent where consecration slows mobs is essential, something you generally don't want during sanguine weeks, but using your horsie is key, dh, sigil of chains and jumps. Boomie with trees, frost mages, shaman earth elemental, roots... all help a ton with kiting too. Knowing when to kite and when you don't have to is essential as well.

On my guardian, i don't bother, for example (unless it's sanguine or necrotic), but i got my ksm and have no interest in going above 15s. At higher keys you do need to kite, even as guardian.

There is also some solid advice in some of the posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Monks don't need to worry about back hits as much as other tanks. It's actually good tanking strategy to let weaker mobs hit you from behind because of the way our mastery works.

Tanks have movement abilities like leaps, use them during moments of needing to kite. Leap to point B, then back to A and repeat as needed. Always backpedal in between, don’t turn your back

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitee View Post
    As paladin, the talent where consecration slows mobs is essential, something you generally don't want during sanguine weeks, but using your horsie is key, dh, sigil of chains and jumps. Boomie with trees, frost mages, shaman earth elemental, roots... all help a ton with kiting too. Knowing when to kite and when you don't have to is essential as well.

On my guardian, i don't bother, for example (unless it's sanguine or necrotic), but i got my ksm and have no interest in going above 15s. At higher keys you do need to kite, even as guardian.

There is also some solid advice in some of the posts above.
    Just to add to give a couple extra tank examples...

On Druid, you can either Ursols or Typhoon. I personally prefer running Balance offspec these days because I find Typhoon to be SUPER helpful when it comes to kiting and even moving mobs out of Sanguine.

In addition, druids are also going to have some movement abilities like Roar and Soulshape if ur nightfae.

On DH, you've got Chains and Leaps.

On Paladin, you have the Consecration aura. Ditch holy shield and pair it up with the spinning hammers allows you to generate HP at range. The slow on Consecration is enough that if you drop them back-to-back when the CD is up, you can often maintain that distance out of melee range that is necessary.

On Brew, you have ring of peace and roll. I personally prefer Chi Torpedo since the instant distance in one direction is often plenty.

To a certain extent, you should also be relying on your part to help. If you have a hunter, for example, they should be dropping Tar / Shackles, etc.