Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Anti self-harm mechanics in WoW

I used to believe NONE of this was real and was all propaganda, cheap excuse to implement Timegates left and right and get away with murder.
    But my opinion changed watching classic World Buff farm and logout till raid time meta.
    Sweet mother of Lord...it does exist.
    In this case for the sake of min maxing and have an edge over other players...on a 16y old easy (mechanically) game.

So...

What is your opinion on some of this "anti-self harm mechanics"?
    After watching the world buff meta did your opinion change or stayed the same?

Any personal favorites and hated mechanics like this in WoW?
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2021-04-02 at 10:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really glad they implemented various limiters to what you can really do with your weekly reset. I'm also glad that I can practically log for 20 mins a day and be done with my upkeep as good as it can ever be.

Heck if anything, I'd like them to move that to tri-daily cycle instead of daily.

It is important, IMO, because too many people can't just stop. Heck, I know a guy who still can't stop - farming random nonsense bullshit like mounts from reputation boxes from past expansions and so on.

But at least that's an outlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given from what I have heard that Everquest bosses were in the world and people would leave college classes when they heard that a boss was up, I guess the original anti self harm feature WoW had was instancing and weekly raid lockouts.

"Clearly this feature is timegating- real MMOs let you camp and kill a boss as many times as it takes over one week!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking of that nerf to that clickable dagger that kills your character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    I used to believe NONE of this was real and was all propaganda, cheap excuse to implement Timegates left and right and get out with murder.
    But my opinion changed watching classic World Buff farm and logout till raid time meta.
    In this case for the sake of min maxing and have an edge over other players...on a 16y old easy (mechanically) game.

So...

What is 'Anti self-harm mechanics'? Not a term I've heard before.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    What is 'Anti self-harm mechanics'? Not a term I've heard before.
    Its a mechanic in the game to prevent players from.......playing in unhealthy ways or unfun ways
    I know it sounds sus and dishonest and even contradictory.
    If is "unfun" to play like this...why do people do it? lol...

But the most recent example is the World Buff meta in classic wow.

In order to be optimal in classic wow you must logout of the game in order to keep all the buffs for raid time.

Other examples are timegates
    And im probably missing others i dont know/pay attention to and would like to know about
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2021-04-02 at 09:44 PM.

I used to believe NONE of this was real and was all propaganda, cheap excuse to implement Timegates left and right and get out with murder.

So...

Why have you posted this here and not on the classic forum? You specifically mention classic multiple times - post it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Why have you posted this here and not on the classic forum? You specifically mention classic multiple times - post it there.
    You are not a moderator.
    I say the word "classic wow" but this is not a thread about classic...is about retail.

PM a moderator or something, i dont care in the end what happens

So...

Fuck those mechanisms, its nobody concern how I spend my free time.
    I spend money to have access to this game, I expect access 24/7 to all of its features.

This is true for any form of time gating and any form of cap ever (except if that cap exists for balancing reasons or to make the "end" of a part of the progression).

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    His post is about retail and classic...... ..... .........

I agree about there needing to be a bit of a limiter as blizzard would literally have to develop unrealistic mountains of content for people not to burn through it in a week or less, but people don't realize this. It's a pity for sure. Naturally they could go back to the drawingboard to make sure they always release something that's engaging on a week by week basis for quite some time so people have things to do but farming the same raid/dungeons for the millionth time or grinding boring reputations.

Suramar is a fantastic example. I enjoyed the scenario and they kept releasing new questlines each week, or at least often enough.
    Last edited by Stormwolf64; 2021-04-02 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I spend money to have access to this game, I expect access 24/7 to all of its features.

This is true for any form of time gating and any form of cap ever (except if that cap exists for balancing reasons or to make the "end" of a part of the progression).
    Thats 100% how i used to feel!
    And now...i feel exactly the same...but only 75-80%

Why do people do this just to have an edge over others...quite fascinating...but also makes me mad i need to suffer so some special people dont hurt themselves.

I dont quite have a 100% solid opinion on this :S would need to discuss more

There's an issue with people unable to control themselves and playing 16 hours in a row if it means getting a 0.05% advantage over someone else.
    You can argue that the devs have a moral imperative to not enable such behaviours

10+ Year Old Account
    They're absolutely hypocritical when it comes to shit like this, just look at how they've designed the core reward structures of the past several expansions and SL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    His post is about retail and classic...... ..... .........
    If you say so.....

I used to believe NONE of this was real and was all propaganda, cheap excuse to implement Timegates left and right and get away with murder.

So...

After watching the world buff meta[ did your opinion change or stayed the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

yeah, except most legit companies have to worry about things like ethics, so they have to add these mechanics. Sometimes by law.

Also, you do have access to all released content all the time. You're just only allowed to do some of it once per character per week. You're free to do it 50 times a week if you can somehow find the time. You're really just complaining about diminishing returns on your time in the end.

So, uh, the opposite of this video, where I convinced somebody in the raid to ruin the 25M Heroic Ra-Den immortal achievement back in MoP?

10+ Year Old Account

So is a weekly raid lockout "time-gating" to you?

If it is, how many times would you consider enough to be able to kill the same boss over and over for loot until you get what you want? Can you not see how this would promote an unhealthy playing style?

If the weekly lockout isn't timegating then what is? It seems a kind of arbitrary line to draw - "Weekly raid lockouts are OK but dailies are cancer"? Or "Dailies are OK but delayed unlock questlines are cancer"?

And if you refuse to answer this question, can you not see how Blizzard can't win - you gate, you delay total consumption of the content by the players, but then you piss off some of them. You don't gate, people will consume content very quickly and then ask, "Is that it? I need more! Blizzard needs to release more content!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

So...

Well, it's bad press (technically no such thing as bad press) either way for blizzard.

If they don't gate or limit content, then they're heartless and asking for people to harm themselves to edge out the competition.

If they do gate content, then they're money-hungry because it draws out subscription times.

Regardless of what they do people will play at a place that they want to (maybe even enjoy). Even if that is optimize every point, every stat, every path, etc.

Personally, I'm in the middle. I think a clear goal weekly seems to be the sweet spot. Like valor/conquest caps. Because that at least keeps people at the same level of gear week to week.

Honestly I think the best system for loot in wow is randomly distributed tokens and/or point caps/rating. Kinda like the old tier token system, you kill boss X, Y token drops for you, get an item from X's loot table, at your choice. Or how pvp gear requires a certain amount of points, with a cap, and you can pick any piece as long as you have rating for it.

As far as daily/weekly quests go, I'm unsure. I've done grinds in every expansion, not sure which i would consider best. But i have fond memories of Isle of Quedanas, Argent tourny, and Mists reps. /Shrug

Its a mechanic in the game to prevent players from.......playing in unhealthy ways or unfun ways
    I know it sounds sus and dishonest and even contradictory.
    If is "unfun" to play like this...why do people do it? lol...

But the most recent example is the World Buff meta in classic wow.

In order to be optimal in classic wow you must logout of the game in order to keep all the buffs for raid time.

Other examples are timegates
    And im probably missing others i dont know/pay attention to and would like to know about
    How is forcing the player NOT to play the game if they want their world buffs, unhealthy though?

If you are on about time gating in general, I think its silly, and honestly offensive. If i want to throw my life away, then let me. If i want to smoke cigs, then let me. If i want to go risk my life on a motor cycle, then let me. Im not harming anyone else. the issue with these systems is not only does the person you are "helping" not want that help, and will therefore be unable to recieve it, making it pointless. it also directly harms people who don't have a problem, their life is sorted, in every way possible, and now they just wanna do whatever they want, they are healthy, they are economically secure, and they get fucked over by these systems. overall its just terrible and adds nothing positive to anyone, anywhere.

Man you must of been wearing blinders for a while...

Personal loot was created because Dragon Soul LFR was roll need for everything doesnt matter if you need it or not.

Guild perks were taken away cause people made sweatshop guilds

LFD was made to stifle level boosting

Warmode was made for the folks who were on a pvp server but hated the world pvp

WF/TF was removed because a portion of the population were basically having anerysms if their bracers wernt BIS

The WOD era stripping of reforge, enchanting, gems, etc to cut down on grinding and requiring addons

I can keep going