Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Dungeons per expansion

I was just curious as to how Mythic+ may or may not interfere with getting new dungeons in modern WoW It honestly seems like they interfere with getting new dungeons in these new expansions because developers are too busy trying to balance the many affixes that come with mythic+ dungeons. Does that match up with history or am i just imagining things?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're imagining things. WoW's Dungeons with patch releases has been pretty solid during the entire lifespan of the game.

If anything, it's the opposite. Because they have a week-to-week grindable system with M+, they can justify placing more resources there.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    I was just curious as to how Mythic+ may or may not interfere with getting new dungeons in modern WoW It honestly seems like they interfere with getting new dungeons in these new expansions because developers are too busy trying to balance the many affixes that come with mythic+ dungeons. Does that match up with history or am i just imagining things?
    It definitely does influence dungeon design but I wouldn't say it affects quantity.

Back in Legion we received new dungeons in every content update. But Legion did not have anything else.
    BfA only introduced 2 new dungeons (the two wings of Mechagon), but you have to remember that at that time they also released new Islands for expeditions and the Warfronts. Now, quality aside, these are also eating up development resources.
    In SL we have Torghast, which is basically many many many dungeons in one. If you were to add them all up we'd "technically" have the most dungeons available now in SL. Also, we are getting 2 new dungeons (the two wings of Tazanesh) in the first patch of the expansion plus 2 new torghast wings.

So yes and no.

Also, well designed dungeons are much more welcome than whatever the dungeons were at the end of WotLK and Cata (that 3 dungeon wombo combo).
    Amount of dungeons =/= quality of dungeons.

I'd rather take 3 new King's Rests than another Seat of the Triumvirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    If anything, it's the opposite. Because they have a week-to-week grindable system with M+, they can justify placing more resources there.
    I think BfA had less than Legion. Legion had a new dungeon with each major patch, which BfA didn't have.

Nope, the exact opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    Nope, the exact opposite.
    Do you have any information to back that up?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    It definitely does influence dungeon design but I wouldn't say it affects quantity.

Back in Legion we received new dungeons in every content update. But Legion did not have anything else.
    BfA only introduced 2 new dungeons (the two wings of Mechagon), but you have to remember that at that time they also released new Islands for expeditions and the Warfronts. Now, quality aside, these are also eating up development resources.
    In SL we have Torghast, which is basically many many many dungeons in one. If you were to add them all up we'd "technically" have the most dungeons available now in SL. Also, we are getting 2 new dungeons (the two wings of Tazanesh) in the first patch of the expansion plus 2 new torghast wings.

So yes and no.

Also, well designed dungeons are much more welcome than whatever the dungeons were at the end of WotLK and Cata (that 3 dungeon wombo combo).
    Amount of dungeons =/= quality of dungeons.

I'd rather take 3 new King's Rests than another Seat of the Triumvirate.
    There were actually 6 dungeons at the end of Wrath and Cataclysm together, oh and Cataclysm had a transition raid, the Gnomeregan thing and Zalazane's Fall too.

what was it?

tbc: 1
    wotlk: 3
    cata: 3
    mists: 0
    wod: 0
    legion: 4
    bfa: 2
    shadowland: 2-3 sheduled that we know off i think?

guess pretty steady aside from a dip in mist/wod.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-04-20 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    what was it?

seems not too much has changed.
    You're doing things by patch, i'm going with entire expansions.

You're doing things by patch, i'm going with entire expansions.
    oh i thought you just meant post launch dungeons added.

if you just want total dungeons per expansion its pretty easy to count in the journal.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh i thought you just meant post launch dungeons added.

if you just want total dungeons per expansion its pretty easy to count in the journal.
    Ya i thought about that after i posted the question but i didn't want to log in to check it, sorry.

Well common sense. Beforehand, dungeons were a launch thing, with minor uses later on. Now dungeons are played all throughout.

Also, they are ok with affix having varied difficulties in dungeons. How often were affixes change? 1 affix per season, and like 3 affixes per expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    Well common sense. Beforehand, dungeons were a launch thing, with minor uses later on. Now dungeons are played all throughout.

Also, they are ok with affix having varied difficulties in dungeons. How often were affixes change? 1 affix per season, and like 3 affixes per expansion?
    So your answer is no. Ok.

One thing that annoys me about some of the modern dungeons is that many are just reused outdoor areas you've been to before. A dungeon historically used to be a completely new area.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    what was it?

mists: 0

guess pretty steady aside from a dip in mist/wod.
    Wrath had 4 and cata had 5.

So your answer is no. Ok.
    Are you for real? You are asking me for a source, when it takes literally 30 seconds to google the answer to your question. I was giving you a reason for the fact that you are wrong.

Legion and BFA had more dungeons than MoP and WoD. Also cata if you dismiss the scaled up leveling dungeons. So no, mythic+ affix tuning does not make Blizz make less dungeons, lol.

Also they introduced new dungeons throughout the the expac, due to the m+ system.

- - - Updated - - -

There were actually 6 dungeons at the end of Wrath and Cataclysm together, oh and Cataclysm had a transition raid, the Gnomeregan thing and Zalazane's Fall too.
    See, the point is, it doesn't actually matter.
    Back then you did the dungeons until you got better gear from it, which was a really short time, and then they might as well not exist anymore.

The majority of Cata and WotLK dungeons are really not up to mythic keystone standards. Some could technically work as one but most wouldn't.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    Do they, though? Aside from the "megadungeons" that began with Kara 2.0, only Legion actually added dungeons. BfA and SL (up to 9.1) haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    See, the point is, it doesn't actually matter.
    Back then you did the dungeons until you got better gear from it, which was a really short time, and then they might as well not exist anymore.

The majority of Cata and WotLK dungeons are really not up to mythic keystone standards. Some could technically work as one but most wouldn't.
    Whether they hold up to mythic keystone standards isn't really the point.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    One thing that annoys me about some of the modern dungeons is that many are just reused outdoor areas you've been to before. A dungeon historically used to be a completely new area.
    From an RPG point I actually quite like it when dungeons are integrated into the world and aren't clearly new maps that would never actually fit in the zone. However what does bother me is the fact that those dungeons with reused areas actually look really lame most of the time, whereas the unique ones look much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Do they, though? Aside from the "megadungeons" that began with Kara 2.0, only Legion actually added dungeons. BfA and SL (up to 9.1) haven't.
    To be fair, we don't know yet what we'll get in SL later on and with BfA "only" adding a megadungeon, this isn't a trend yet.