[Speculations] Curious Case of the Constellar

"To aid the Pantheon, Aman'thul called upon a mysterious race known as the constellar. These celestial beings observed the many worlds ordered by the titans, staying vigilant for any sign of instability."

Very little is known about this iconic race of cosmic beings, and as is currently being done with the Nathrezim, I feel like during Shadowlands, perhaps we'll see some exploration into the lore behind the constellar.

Our first interaction with one of the constellar was famously in Ulduar, being Algalon The Observer.
    At the time his lore-drops really solidified what felt more like pseudo-confirmed titan-theories, and set the greater cosmic stage up for more exploration to the wider audience.

Immediately, there's nothing obvious about Algalon in particular that could suggest a definite Shadowlands/ In-Between correlation, though another potential constellar definitely provides a potential link.

You'll recall Harbaron from the Maw of Souls dungeon in Legion. While there are no solid confirmations, it's heavily suspected by the subtle flavor-text in his dungeon journal, that he is also one of the constellar.

"The mysterious ferryman of souls stands at the helm of the Naglfar, gathering the damned and bringing them to Helya's domain. His connection with the fallen queen of the val'kyr is unclear, but when the breeze catches Harbaron's cloak, an expanse of shimmering stars unfolds beneath. Strange."

I lean towards the same train of thought here, and am excited to understand the interaction that could have led to Harbaron's position as The Boat Man to Helheim.
    Xal'atath says about him: "It was thought his kind was incorruptible. A lesson for my brothers I suppose."

This lends to the notion that the potential constellar in Maw of Souls could have been forcefully bent into the strange, apparently more physical**, perhaps Undead being.

If so, what does this say about their proclivity as a race in general? The line in Chronicle V1 that references them does not give us much to go on about their broad obedience, duties, roles etc, other than that they'll for some reason or another, serve the Titans if called upon.

Are they likely from the 'plane of Order'? are they Arcane? and how does one go about becoming seemingly more corporeal in Helheim? What are the mechanics of transformation there?

** I find it interesting personally, that the Naglfar in Maw of Souls, Undead King Ymirion, and Helheim in general leans strongly towards the aesthetic of Maldraxxus. I'm of the understanding Odyn and Helya mostly created this place based on what he could see into the Shadowlands, though with Helya's loyalties to the Jailer, I must wonder what kind of direct magical connections from The Shadowlands are actually being made.

and then ask, why use a constellar to ferry souls to the Shadowlands?
    Could it perhaps be that these mysterious ancient beings have connections to The First Ones? Alleged creators of the Shadowlands?

The new mystery of The First Ones could be the crack of light that opens the door for more lore surrounding the constellar.
    My thinking here is based on the introduction to the constellar in Chronicle, which may well suggest that they precede the birth of even the Titans, then it's possible the scope of their role in the cosmos was originally set in place by another force.

I'm curious to see where these threads may lead, especially with Harbaron. I realize so far, Shadowlands is bare of any of the constellar, though I suspect the deep ancient inner-workings of reality that the expansion may shed light upon could also have at the very least, more breadcrumbs.

What do you think of these guys? Want them to have another spotlight for lore revelation, or stay mysterious? thanks
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2021-04-22 at 05:53 PM.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

The greatest mystery about them for me at least is the fact that when we fight Argus he at one point briefly sems to dissipate into several constellars.

Now either that means the Constellar are fragments of titans, or that the Constellar are somehow linked to a titan, and immediately comes to their aid.
    It could also be something we are not supposed to think about, with the boss designers simply having adds that feel thematically relevant to the aesthetic of the fight.

Based on what I have seen I would actually posit a theory that they are lesser titans of a sort. Not quite formed from world souls like Argus, but rather some lesser spirit inhabiting potentially each world with sentient life like Draenor. It would certainly expain their link to the titans at least.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The greatest mystery about them for me at least is the fact that when we fight Argus he at one point briefly sems to dissipate into several constellars.

Now either that means the Constellar are fragments of titans, or that the Constellar are somehow linked to a titan, and immediately comes to their aid.
    Right, thanks for the reminder of this. Definitely forgot. I find it interesting that of all of the Titans to show this 'ability', it happens to be the one who is largely viewed as a "Death Titan" now.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

Probably came from the Realm of Order. Also probably came from Reality. Also, it's implied the First Ones created the Chart, and the forces they made created reality, and they went from there (VIA making the Great Vault, the Cities, etc) only to call it a day then dip.