Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    well actually it aint even a board game, its an expansion for a board game.
    is a "D&D addon"
    Technically that is wrong as well, since it's not in the board game category. It's a tabletop game (like board games which are their own subcategory), but is in the RPG (maybe pen&paper if you are so inclined) subcategory instead. Board games usually indicate something else entirely (complete gameboard with all required tools and rules in one package).
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I played several games that tried that (there was one arthurian one where one played a super powerful wizard and the rest some meatshield fighters or the stormbringer game where the melniboneean is usually 5-6 times as powerful as the rest of the group).
    Aside from envy there is also the problem in every encounter that when its designed to be challenging for the one player the rest of the players are useless or onehits and if it is supposed to be challenging for the rest of the group it is trivial for the one player.
    And, IMO you always have the powergamer in your group become the special char (because he really wants it and the rest don't care that much) and that causes a whole lot of other problems.

It's a bad concept from every way you look at it.
    Thats pretty much my outlook as well.

Other than some small niche of players. I can't see this as a good addition to 5e D&D as a whole. It doesn't come across as fun for the whole group and thats just looking at it for the average player. It get worse if you have the power gamers you mentioned in the mix. They could never come close to the level of power of the serpent marked player and I can't see that going well in a short campaign or long. Then you have the story/narrative mainly following this one serpent marked player and everyone else is more like decoration for them than actual contributors as the game revolves around mainly the marked one.

I could be shocked on the outcome but as a longtime player and DM, I don't think I am given what I have read so far. Far to much focus on one player in story and ability leaving the DM to manage the other players who wonder why they are even there combined with the DM having to deal with a player that blew up a mountain or turned a whole village to stone destroying pretty much any story you may have worked long and hard on creating. Then you have the worst part of the article I had read where it mentions the other players will need to manage or "reign in" whoever is playing the serpent marked. I don't know a single tabletop player that comes to play D&D and thought they would have to micromanage another player.

Like you said, it's a bad concept. (except for maybe a really small niche of players)

But what will be really interesting is if all of this is nothing more than metzen creating a world that can be easily turned into an video game of some sort and he hopes to kick it off as a tabletop addition but the real goal is to have the rights bought later and turned into a single player game with companions.
    Last edited by quras; 2021-04-28 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Yeah same I couldn't care less about a board game. What is this 1992?

Might shock you, but playing a board game with a bunch of friends ( ) is great fun. Especially D&D.