Question Could alt-draenor get a rework as a Light stronghold?

I don't know where I heard it, but, there's this inkling in the back of my mind that "Alt Draenor is just gone." Where did that come from, is that officially stated canon, or is that a residual take from my one time subscription to multiple lore speculation podcasts?

Because if it's not... didn't they like drop an entire raid tier from WoD, and wasn't it in a Naaru-themed Draenei temple that there are still exterior assets for as we speak?

In another thread I mentioned that getting flight in 9.1 could mean that everywhere else we go in Shadowlands' expansion period is likely either flightless forever or a reworked zone where we can already fly. What if we follow the light breadcrumbs littering the ground in Shadowlands to that very draenei temple through some cosmological mcguffin that spans multiple timelines? Time does apparently work differently in the shadowlands after all! All it would take is a bronze dragon NPC to have world content around the temple.

...Or did the alt timeline just collapse in developer shame?
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure AU Draenor is still around, just mostly inaccessible to us. It was blocked off at the end of WoD, but reopened for a short time during the Mag'har Orc quest chain so we know it's at least still in place as of our escape. The Light as we understand it wouldn't likely destroy a world, so it absolutely could be a Light stronghold.

You are correct that they at one point at least envisioned a Shattrath raid, we saw it on a Blizzcon image. It would be interesting to see that thread revisited, especially if it was leading to a Light vs. Void expansion. The Horde would likely follow the Mag'har back to see what Yrel & the Light have done to AU Draenor. Given how the Alliance worked great with the Draenei before their light fanaticism, I'd be really curious to see how the Alliance would respond...especially the Lightforged Draenei who missed the entirety of Draenor while they were off fighting the Legion.

Hopefully they'll just forget it all happened

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I don't know where I heard it, but, there's this inkling in the back of my mind that "Alt Draenor is just gone." Where did that come from, is that officially stated canon, or is that a residual take from my one time subscription to multiple lore speculation podcasts?

Because if it's not... didn't they like drop an entire raid tier from WoD, and wasn't it in a Naaru-themed Draenei temple that there are still exterior assets for as we speak?

In another thread I mentioned that getting flight in 9.1 could mean that everywhere else we go in Shadowlands' expansion period is likely either flightless forever or a reworked zone where we can already fly. What if we follow the light breadcrumbs littering the ground in Shadowlands to that very draenei temple through some cosmological mcguffin that spans multiple timelines? Time does apparently work differently in the shadowlands after all! All it would take is a bronze dragon NPC to have world content around the temple.

...Or did the alt timeline just collapse in developer shame?
    AU Draenor is still around. Unlike Outland, AU wasn't shattered. Though, they do have Yrel and her holy inquisition making claim on the lands and converting races to follow the light.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Officially stated to a degree. From doing the chain for the allied race, you see a few things. 1) time flows very differently then in our world. We go back and Grom is old and grey. 2) its dying. Dunno why, but their world is dying. Never really been stated the exact cause or scope of the damage, but its made out by Yrel to be pretty serious and irreversible.

So, doubt we will ever really see much of it. Maybe the other races that hitched a ride back to Azeroth with us, but I think AU is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Falkeshall View Post
    Hopefully they'll just forget it all happened
    I am in this camp as well. I find the whole idea of the light being malevolent to be so dull and played out it would come off as dull and predictable as the slyvannas stroy.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Officially stated to a degree. From doing the chain for the allied race, you see a few things. 1) time flows very differently then in our world. We go back and Grom is old and grey. 2) its dying. Dunno why, but their world is dying. Never really been stated the exact cause or scope of the damage, but its made out by Yrel to be pretty serious and irreversible.

So, doubt we will ever really see much of it. Maybe the other races that hitched a ride back to Azeroth with us, but I think AU is done.
    All of this, including why the world was dying and why time had caught up with them was - indeed- explained in the actual quest chain.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    I find the whole idea of the light being malevolent to be so dull and played out it would come off as dull and predictable as the slyvannas stroy.
    Chasing unpredictability at the expense of leaving the lane of the reason people love a genre is how some terrible content gets made, just in general. Very often, the predictable path is predictable because that's where the story should go to satisfy fans of the genre enjoying themselves there. Trope subversion for the sake of it can be extremely destructive.

Or as wrestling fans who endured the reign of Vince Russo might put it: "A swerve for the sake of it, bro!"
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Chasing unpredictability at the expense of leaving the lane of the reason people love a genre is how some terrible content gets made, just in general. Very often, the predictable path is predictable because that's where the story should go to satisfy fans of the genre enjoying themselves there. Trope subversion for the sake of it can be extremely destructive.

Or as wrestling fans who endured the reign of Vince Russo might put it: "A swerve for the sake of it, bro!"
    I can get that but lets talk shop. Look at wow writers... what part of them makes you think they can craft a interesting story? They have been piggy backing off knack and the tokyopop shorts for almost a decade now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be neat to go back to certain areas of AU Draenor and see "empire" the Lightbound has created across the planet.

This actually got me thinking of a potential what-if scenario we saw was: the Lightbound marching across AU Draenor and a pocket resistance of *whatever* races (all native races of Draenor) being helped by the Void to fight back the oppressive Light.

Much like how the Light and the Lightforged are in our universe fighting back the Burning Legion and forces of the Void across the universe... what be an interesting plot twist to see the Void acting as quasi-good guys to fight back the seemingly "evil" Lightbound.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-05-05 at 08:38 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    An alternate world that's a light stronghold?

I look forward to the underwater zone.

Jokes aside, no chance. I think that whole "Y'rel is evil now" was meant to stop us from asking about WoD, not give us a reason to go back.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

All methods of reconnecting to it have been destroyed. Except of course _____, which will mysteriously appear if playerbase interest is high enough.

I think they did a great job with the mag'har scenario addressing the WOD problems, to the point I wouldn't mind it. Between the time skip removing redundant versions of living characters and simultaneously removing the time travel element it's basically just another world now.

Gotta say though it'd be pretty confusing for my lightforged paladin to have to fight them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.