Page 20 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I tried to join many times but the story is too long, I'm in the middle of the first expansion and I've already played a lot and done other stuff besides the msq. The story is good but sometimes I don't want to do story stuff and I'd like to do endgame stuff but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Raizstorm View Post
    I tried to join many times but the story is too long, I'm in the middle of the first expansion and I've already played a lot and done other stuff besides the msq. The story is good but sometimes I don't want to do story stuff and I'd like to do endgame stuff but I can't.
    I can say, if you don't enjoy story, FF14 isn't the game for you. The story is the main part of it imo.

Sigh, being forced to do dungeons to progress the story its a big fucking no no for me, hopefully this is the last time (lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Sigh, being forced to do dungeons to progress the story its a big fucking no no for me, hopefully this is the last time (lvl 20)
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but being forced into dungeons or trials to progress the story is a staple of this game and will happen MANY times.

It's why I encourage folks to level up a tank or healer first, to make those times where you have to queue MUCH faster and not so much of a hindrance.

Sorry, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but being forced into dungeons or trials to progress the story is a staple of this game and will happen MANY times.

It's why I encourage folks to level up a tank or healer first, to make those times where you have to queue MUCH faster and not so much of a hindrance.

Sorry, dude.
    Fuck i was having so much fun, guess i'll just drop the game now then, thanks for the info

Fuck i was having so much fun, guess i'll just drop the game now then, thanks for the info
    Why would you play a Final Fantasy game and openly not want to do the story content? It's an MMO. Dungeons and Raids are staples of the genre.

If it helps, they do increase in difficulty very slowly. I'll give you a healer perspective of how those dungeons feel.

So Satasha through Haukke is maybe your Ragefire chasm through Scarlet Monastery Arm/Lib (as a healer that means almost no real healing required, lots of dpsing with some heals thrown out). Braflox through Aurum vale is when TRASH (much more so than bosses) become far deadlier. Without holy its a lot of aoe healing and regen (think resto druid style - dots and preemptive healing). Boss fights are just 1 or 2 mechanics. For the trials you might wanna watch a video on youtube, then again, most of the time you'll just be carried by the experienced players anyway. Mechanics do play a larger role (if you dont get behind the pillars in the howling eye, you're gonna get blowed up).

At the end of the ARR story (the 8 man dungeons), you are going to get carried through that regardless. Either by the tanks, the dps output, or your fellow heals. They are about as effortless as the game gets. Then you hit the ARR 2.1-2.5 content. Most of the trash is negated by holy spam. Medica 2 now replaces medica (and is far more useful), you also have benediction as your oh crap button. Things just feel 'better' and less whackamole. Basically, the game doesnt really blindside you or anything. By the time you hit HW you'll be fairly confident in your abilities.

Heres the list anyway from a post in the ff14 forums that breaks it down.
    FFXIV Required Dungeons and Trials

Lvl15 Sastasha (story dungeon for quest "It's Probably Pirates.")
    Lvl16 Tam-Tara Deepcroft (story quest "Fire in the Gloom.")
    Lvl17 Copperbell Mines (story quest "Into a Copper Hell" )
    Lvl17 Bowl of Embers (:Lord of the Inferno") Ifrit Trial
    Lvl20 Halatali (OPTIONAL)
    Lvl24 The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak(Story "Into the Beast's Maw")
    Lvl28 Haukke Manor (Story "Skeletons in Her Closet,")

Lvl32 Braflox Longstop (Story "The Things We Do for Cheese.")
    lv.34 The Navel (Lord of the Crags) Trial
    Lvl35 Sunken Temple of Qarn(OPTIONAL)
    Lvl38 Cutter's Cry(OPTIONAL)
    Lvl41 Stone Virgil (Story "In Pursuit of the Past")
    Lv.44 The Howling Eye (Lady of the Vortex) Trial
    Lvl44 Dzemael Darkhold (Optional but needed for some Grand Companies)
    Lvl47 Aurum Vale (Optional but needed for some Grand Companies)

Lv.49 Camp Westwind (Operation Archon) Trial
    Lvl50 Castrum Meridianum (story)
    Lvl50 Praetorium (story)
    Lvl50 Wanderer's Palace (optional)
    Lvl50 Amdapor Keep (optional, but required for your relic weapon)
    Lv.50 Snowcloak (The Path of the Righteous)
    Lv.50 Keeper of the Lake (The Rising Chorus)

lv.50 Thornmarch (You have selected regicide) Trial
    lv.50 The Whorleater (Lord of the Whorl) Trial
    lv.50 The Striking Tree (Levin an Impression) Trial
    Lv.50 Akh Afah Amphitheatre (the instruments of our deliverance) Trial
    Lv.50 The Chrysallis (**SPOILER**) Trial
    Lv.50 The Steps of Faith (The Steps of Faith) Trial

ETA2:
    As a general rule of thumb in MSQ for old content, the more players, the less personal responsibility. Because theres an event on, i did the crystal tower for the first time since finishing it for the MSQ, and honestly, i was a headless chicken. Its just a light show. No one cares. They just burn through it.
    Your dungeons will be easier than your trials in general. But will feel more high pressured because of the 4 man nature of it. Your trials are now gonna be 8 man from here on out (or at least they have been for me thus far). Mechanics get more hectic, but again, you're gonna be carried. If you die, someones gonna res you.

ETA3: If you feel anxious about running them, i really wouldnt. I used to log off every time i had a new dungeon to run (im very skittish about ruining everyone's day by causing us to wipe). But yeah, no one cares. No one shouted at me. Im swimming in charity commendations. Its all very... chill.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-18 at 01:54 AM.

One thing I've noticed that's pretty hilarious is how often the FF14 reddit has threads just shitting on WoW. Like you need to talk shit about your last game to be accepted into the new community. I was reading one this afternoon just filled with completely false information and for the life of me I don't understand why its not ok to like both. It's been some time since I've been to the WoW reddit, but I doubt there is multiple posts a week about how wonderful WoW is over FF14.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    2) Boss animations don't line up 100% with the actions. Ex. I'll move out of a red area 1 second before animation shows I get hit, but I still got hit? Happens OFTEN. Was never an issue in WOW.
    The mechanic is finalized when the red goes away, not the visualization of the mechanic.

Many mechanics in XIV do not afford you the time to wait until the last second. The red bar/circle is your indication to move immediately.

The MSQ is my big one as well as single-player content is not the reason I play an MMO. If I could cap in a day & get near-ready in another day like I can do with an alt on WoW right now I'd likely be raiding in both games at once (if I really took to liking FF's content), as I know people who play FF14 at a pretty high level.

What about having the dungeons and trials being tied to the MSQ do you dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    What about having the dungeons and trials being tied to the MSQ do you dislike?
    Having to do the dungeons, i have no issue with the MSQ being "forced", i do have issue with dungeons being part of the mix

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Modern WoW feels like you're stuck on a conveyor belt to the next quest hub.
    The irony that the reason people don't like Modern WOW is because they got what they asked for ...

For me FF14 has limited options for pure ranged dps, I still don't know which class(job) to pick.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    I still believe that WoW Classic had the best journey out of any MMO I've played. Quest scarcity and the feeling that you were levelling up in a living world helped this greatly.

Modern WoW feels like you're stuck on a conveyor belt to the next quest hub.
    quest narative,and presentation has only been getting better and better,started around mop but really picked up steam in wod,i think the world(of the expansions),feels way more connected in wod than it did in vanila,and there is an actual journey,vanila was completly disconnected for the most part

also scarcity in vanila makes no sense narative wise,why are there only 2 farm questgivers in elwin lol?wod or bfa zones felt much more alive and full of activity,people needing help etc

Having to do the dungeons, i have no issue with the MSQ being "forced", i do have issue with dungeons being part of the mix

So what is your end goal in FFXIV?

You want to get to max level without doing dungeons or raids, and then... what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    One thing I've noticed that's pretty hilarious is how often the FF14 reddit has threads just shitting on WoW. Like you need to talk shit about your last game to be accepted into the new community. I was reading one this afternoon just filled with completely false information and for the life of me I don't understand why its not ok to like both. It's been some time since I've been to the WoW reddit, but I doubt there is multiple posts a week about how wonderful WoW is over FF14.
    Yeah. I have my problems with WoW, but the FF14 community is extremely fragile. God forbid you don't praise the great Yoshida or Ishikawa, or else you'll be branded a heretic and hunted down. God forbid you say another game does some things better than FFXIV.

It's for weebs

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    For me FF14 has limited options for pure ranged dps, I still don't know which class(job) to pick.
    I'd put an asterisk on Black Mage, as you really need to learn a fight on another job before switching to Black Mage, so you know where all the AoEs will be so you can camp out in one spot for as long as possible. If you're running around a lot you're DPS is going to be extremely low, and if you take more than two or three hits you'll probably die due to the stacking vulnerability debuff.

Red Mage is easy, fun, and utilitarian. It can effectively heal (whereas Summoner can't really) and it can raise.

Summoner is... not bad, but not good either. Really convoluted rotation. Also, be warned that the summons don't really feel good from a class fantasy standpoint. You have a tiny Pokemon by your side that is autoattacking independent of you, and every minute you summon a giant dragon that floats behind your back autoattacking the enemy for 15 seconds before disappearing. Summoner is more like a warlock.

Physical ranged DPS (Machinist/Bard/Dancer) are really easy as they can attack while moving and don't have any positionals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    So what is your end goal in FFXIV?

You want to get to max level without doing dungeons or raids, and then... what?
    FFXIV is a JRPG first, and a MMO second.

For most people, the end goal is just doing all of the story content (progress through the MSQ, do the side chapters like the Ivalice raids or the Werlyt storyline).

If you're a WoW player looking for raid content, there is very little challenging raid content in FFXIV. Like WoW, only the latest raid tier is relevant, but raid tiers in FFXIV are just four bosses. After you've killed Eden Prime on Savage difficulty (about the equivalent of WoW heroic), the only challenging PvE stuff to do is to do the Ultimate raids for cosmetic gear. There are three Ultimate raids and they are level synced so you can't outgear it. It's just down to coordinating with 7 other players and getting the dance down perfectly in sync.

Outside of raiding, you have the glamour (transmog) endgame of collecting items to dress up your character, decorating your house, hanging out at the Gold Saucer and playing the mingiames like mahjong, triple triad card game, jumping puzzle, etc.

Why is it an issue that dungeons are part of the mix?

Not trying to be combative, I've heard several different reasons and am just curious about yours, is all.

It's not a game for everybody, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Summoner is... not bad, but not good either. Really convoluted rotation. Also, be warned that the summons don't really feel good from a class fantasy standpoint. You have a tiny Pokemon by your side that is autoattacking independent of you, and every minute you summon a giant dragon that floats behind your back autoattacking the enemy for 15 seconds before disappearing. Summoner is more like a warlock.
    I agree with most of what you said, except this part. The Summoner opener is convoluted, yes, but the rotation as a whole I wouldn't say is. Once you get past that dumb opener, you're in maintenance mode for pretty much the duration of a fight, but having to abide by small nuances of the job like having 4 charges going into Bahamut, not using Enkindle right before a Demi, etc. Just normal job nuances imo. Everything kind of falls into place after the first 30 seconds.

It is 1:1 to a Warlock, though, agree. Miasma+Bio, Corruption+Agony.. Fester/Malefic Rapture.. Bane/Seed of Corruption.. Bahamut/Tyrant.. The only difference is Summoner gets a little more "interactable" mechanics with your pets/demis, as they have abilities on a charge system and their own personal nukes.