Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And yet the critical response aggregated on sites like RT and Metacritic disagrees. As do the user reviews from when it was released. Many people didn't go, "meh, it looked nice," at best. Stop with your silly hyperbole and go find something you love to discuss.

- - - Updated - - -

They've got a lot of sequels planned right now with a ton of footage already shot. If the humans don't win a victory at some point it would make the entire process repetitive. Humans come back, get butts kicked, run away. Repeat for 4 movies in 4 different environments? Sounds silly.
    I'll continue criticizing something I, and many others, believe needs criticism. You can put down your shield, stark defender of things Twitter tells you to be a contrarian about.

Truth tells it, people criticised it and continue to give it a "Meh, whatever. Totally forgot it existed" when asked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post

Just curious, but what country are you from?

Cause I worked at a movie theater in Canada (16 Theater multiplex on the outskirts of the Greater Toronto Area), and I guarantee you it was anything but a "nobody remembered it or watched it a second time" movie. We were just starting Digital Projection and 3D conversions in our building when Avatar came out, but we had something like 5 screens in our theater dedicated to Avatar (3 big houses and 2 mid sized ones where the 3D projectors were), and pretty much EVERY screen showing the movie was sold out for prime time for the first 3 weeks that the movie ran.

My only regret was that I never got to see it on an IMAX screen, as the IMAX 3D presentation is slightly different than a RealD 3D presentation, and provides a more "immersive" 3D experience (at least in my opinion).

Denmark. My dad and I drove like...idk 1 hour to the nearest 3D cinema. My dad never goes to the cinema, but he wanted to see it for the 3D...Me as well. Again its just my opinion, but no-way the budget made this much money without a gimmick like 3D, cause the story was meeeeh. I barely remember it now a days.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Denmark. My dad and I drove like...idk 1 hour to the nearest 3D cinema. My dad never goes to the cinema, but he wanted to see it for the 3D...Me as well. Again its just my opinion, but no-way the budget made this much money without a gimmick like 3D, cause the story was meeeeh. I barely remember it now a days.
    The 2000s was the last time movies were huge, explosive events everybody saw. Like Star Wars and Harry Potter. Harry Potter's massive explosion of popularity was facilitated by the normie corporate media. Harry Potter was the last gasp of an era in which there was a monolithic corporate infrastructure that could direct everybody's attention to this one thing and continue delivering to meet demand. We probably won't see an explosion in popularity like Star Wars or Harry Potter again, all pervading cultural phenomena known to everyone. Not even the MCU managed to achieve that level of popularity, as now people's options are too diversified to catch everybody's attention.

Why does it need criticism? What are you hoping to accomplish?
    It hyped itself up to be amazing. Instead, people got a movie length art demo. If they wanna make their sequels work, they're going to have to listen to the criticisms of the first movie. Which, I think they will, and believe the sequels will turn out to be much better than the first.

While the story and writing was dogshit, they at least set up a whole world. The things they could do with it are endless. It's just a matter of applying the lessons learnt from the first film.

You seem confused. You opinions aren’t facts. Nothing you’ve said indicates why it NEEDS to be cried and lied about like you’re doing. Reminder, I don’t love the movie. That doesn’t mean millions don’t love the story and the visuals. Again, go find something you love to talk about. Getting mad people like something you don’t isn’t productive or healthy.
    Never been mad someone enjoyed it. You're sitting here being mad that I said it got shit on when it first released. Which it factually did.

They've got a lot of sequels planned right now with a ton of footage already shot. If the humans don't win a victory at some point it would make the entire process repetitive. Humans come back, get butts kicked, run away. Repeat for 4 movies in 4 different environments? Sounds silly.
    I was floored with the flora and fauna presented and yeah got a kick out of the night time scenery... And I think I'm not alone there. And I expect to be similarly wowwed with the underwater stuff.
    The story was a familiar theme...more "Dances with Wolves" than Pocahontas. (White guy joins a native tribe heart and soul... A not uncommon thing in US history) I suspect the writing team is going to play up an Earth revenge/punitive thing.

Avatar 2: How Sigourney Weaver Is Returning (Despite Her Death)

Sigourney Weaver can return as Dr. Grace Augustine in Avatar 2 thanks to one of the Na'vi's most sacred religious monuments: the Tree of Souls.

Given what's known about the upcoming movie, it's likely Weaver's return indicates her character is back — but is no longer human.

Much of Avatar 2 features underwater scenes, many of which contain Sigourney Weaver — but using motion capture technology. Weaver herself revealed that her scenes were so complex that she had to hold her breath for six minutes; this, and the Avatar set photos, suggest Weaver's character isn't human.

---

It's going to need some damn good writing for our villain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Never been mad someone enjoyed it. You're sitting here being mad that I said it got shit on when it first released. Which it factually did.
    So you claim...a rather empty claim.
    I suspect you mad because it was a critical and commercial success.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It's going to need some damn good writing for our villain.
    When in doubt, go for an actor who can ham it up. The colonel from the first movie wasn't really anything to write home about but he was the most expressive and likeable character in the whole film.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    When in doubt, go for an actor who can ham it up. The colonel from the first movie wasn't really anything to write home about but he was the most expressive and likeable character in the whole film.
    If the rumors are true he'll have one hell of a character arc... And I've not seen enough of Lang's work to know if he can pull it off, assuming the writing team is up to the task to begin with.

No, I’m disputing your contention that EVERYONE shit on the movie when it came out.
    No, you're disgruntled about someone not enjoying something. Which is confusing, as you had stated you didn't care for it.

Again, there was nothing but criticism from people I knew, radio stations, and newspaper movie critics. And since then, nobody talks about it or even remembers much about it.

Endgame for example will most likely be talked about for much more years to come. While I disliked the movie and the one before it, I can at least admit I'm in the minority. It had massive expectations, just like Avatar did, but it met those expectations for most. Avatar, however, did not, and ended up being forgotten. It got shit on for not meeting such expectations.

Those who enjoyed it, enjoyed it. Those who expected a bit more, did not. Judging by the massive hype it received, it's more than safe to say that those who expected more are the majority.

Assuming humans enter into this sequel and its (unnecessary?) follow ups, I want them to get slaughtered because they deserve it. It will be fun to watch for that alone.

you can’t believe anyone would make sequels to the highest grossing film in history.
    Where in the world do you get that from? LOL

"Entirely incorrect"
    "False"
    "Objectively false"

Run out of ways to say "I believe you're wrong and I'm angry about it" yet? You understand gaslighting someone out of their statement of what they've heard, seen and experienced isn't going to change that, correct?

You say "Again, there was nothing but criticism from people I knew, radio stations, and newspaper movie critics" is false, but do you know where I even live? Do we even share the same country? Have you read the news, heard the radio in my home city about it back then?

Also incredibly hilarious that "Movie was shit on all over the place when it first released." reads "Everybody hated it" to you. What's equally hilarious is "Because all I remember were people praising its wonderful effects, while shitting on its writing." is something you believe can be false. So, you know what I actually remember vs what I can't remember? Is that what you're trying to say?

As for evidence.. what evidence? Someone copy/pasted positive reviews as if there are zero negative reviews out there LMAO

Or are you going to further harass me over statements you disagree with?
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2021-05-18 at 01:39 AM.

As for evidence.. what evidence? Someone copy/pasted positive reviews as if there are zero negative reviews out there LMAO
    And you aren't capable of doing the same because there aren't any negative reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The 2000s was the last time movies were huge, explosive events everybody saw. Like Star Wars and Harry Potter. Harry Potter's massive explosion of popularity was facilitated by the normie corporate media. Harry Potter was the last gasp of an era in which there was a monolithic corporate infrastructure that could direct everybody's attention to this one thing and continue delivering to meet demand. We probably won't see an explosion in popularity like Star Wars or Harry Potter again, all pervading cultural phenomena known to everyone. Not even the MCU managed to achieve that level of popularity, as now people's options are too diversified to catch everybody's attention.
    Hm, thats a good point yes. Still the MCU has made a fuck ton of money, surely more than the harry potter films no? At least if you dont include merch (Cause thats all that matters to overall franchises earned lol) I dont follow it much (Im just waiting for the bond film or john whick etc lol), but it sure is popular, but maybe not as status worthy as the others yes.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Hm, thats a good point yes. Still the MCU has made a fuck ton of money, surely more than the harry potter films no? At least if you dont include merch (Cause thats all that matters to overall franchises earned lol) I dont follow it much (Im just waiting for the bond film or john whick etc lol), but it sure is popular, but maybe not as status worthy as the others yes.
    Here's a list of media franchises and how much they made, although the final numbers include merch and the likes. The MCU started in 2008 and has made twice what Harry Potter made in box office.

I'm not sure if the list seperates overlapping franchises, though. The Avengers are listed further down the list as an individual entity, no idea if they factor in with the 'rest' ofthe MCU.

Val is just talking out of his ass, as usual.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only negative press I recall about Avatar was with regards to the story being another version of "Dances with Wolves" and a few gripes about racist undertones. But the negatively, from what I recall, was buried underneath a mountain of accolades.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where in the world do you get that from? LOL

"Entirely incorrect"
    "False"
    "Objectively false"

Run out of ways to say "I believe you're wrong and I'm angry about it" yet? You understand gaslighting someone out of their statement of what they've heard, seen and experienced isn't going to change that, correct?

You say "Again, there was nothing but criticism from people I knew, radio stations, and newspaper movie critics" is false, but do you know where I even live? Do we even share the same country? Have you read the news, heard the radio in my home city about it back then?

Also incredibly hilarious that "Movie was shit on all over the place when it first released." reads "Everybody hated it" to you. What's equally hilarious is "Because all I remember were people praising its wonderful effects, while shitting on its writing." is something you believe can be false. So, you know what I actually remember vs what I can't remember? Is that what you're trying to say?

Or are you going to further harass me over statements you disagree with?
    I never said there were 0 negative reviews. I said the reception of the film was mostly positive and backed that up with mostly positive reviews of the movie. you claimed it was shit on and still haven't even provided 1 negative review.

Man you have a hard time accepting you are wrong.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I never said there were 0 negative reviews. I said the reception of the film was mostly positive and backed that up with mostly positive reviews of the movie. you claimed it was shit on and still haven't even provided 1 negative review.

Man you have a hard time accepting you are wrong.
    Are you who I was speaking to? Or are you going to chime in on harassing me over comments such as

"Again, there was nothing but criticism from people I knew, radio stations, and newspaper movie critics"

And

"Movie was shit on all over the place when it first released"?

Need I also especially highlight "Also incredibly hilarious that "Movie was shit on all over the place when it first released." reads "Everybody hated it" to you. What's equally hilarious is "Because all I remember were people praising its wonderful effects, while shitting on its writing." is something you believe can be false. So, you know what I actually remember vs what I can't remember? Is that what you're trying to say?"

I stated exactly how I remember reception went back when the film first released. I wasn't browsing RT back then, and I still don't today.

You got an article stating user Stardrift of MMO-C is specifically wrong about how they remember initial reception for a movie went? No, of course you don't. Who are you to tell me what I remember and what I don't?

Now that I've said remember six times, need I say it some more? Is it going to click with you that in the context of a memory, it is due to the individuals personal experience with something?
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2021-05-19 at 12:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you who I was speaking to? Or are you going to chime in on harassing me over comments such as

"Again, there was nothing but criticism from people I knew, radio stations, and newspaper movie critics"

And

"Movie was shit on all over the place when it first released"?

Need I also especially highlight "Also incredibly hilarious that "Movie was shit on all over the place when it first released." reads "Everybody hated it" to you. What's equally hilarious is "Because all I remember were people praising its wonderful effects, while shitting on its writing." is something you believe can be false. So, you know what I actually remember vs what I can't remember? Is that what you're trying to say?"

I stated exactly how I remember reception went back when the film first released. I wasn't browsing RT back then, and I still don't today.

You got an article stating user Stardrift of MMO-C is specifically wrong about how they remember initial reception for a movie went? No, of course you don't. Who are you to tell me what I remember and what I don't?
    And I'm stating with evidence to back it up, that your memory is flat out wrong.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    And I'm stating with evidence to back it up, that your memory is flat out wrong.
    "do you know where I even live? Do we even share the same country? Have you read the news, heard the radio in my home city about it back then?"

???

- - - Updated - - -

Not angry about anything. Care to prove the people who enjoyed and praised the film shit on it? Or is this you admitting you were wrong and simply making up shit because you didn’t like the first?
    Did I, at any moment, say nobody praised it? Also, are you really pretending nobody here has negatively criticised the movie? LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    "do you know where I even live? Do we even share the same country? Have you read the news, heard the radio in my home city about it back then?"

???
    So you trying to say where you live is the sole place to give it bad reviews and that that means everyone (no specified place in your comment) was shitting on it?

Do you not know what "everyone" means? Or would you like to walk back your claim and say people you knew didn't like it?