Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Patch 9.1 - Torghast, Tower of the Damned Changes and Additions

Patch 9.1 - Torghast, Tower of the Damned Changes and Additions
    Torghast is undergoing a major overhaul with the launch of Patch 9.1. Here is a quick rundown of what to expect!

General Changes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    • The total number of floors per run is now 5 (was 6).
    • The Tarragrue will now be terrorizing players in the Sanctum of Domination and as such, there is no longer a death counter barrier for continuing your run.
    • Bosses no longer regenerate health after they have defeated you.
    • New Scoring System and Perks
      • You are now scored based on performance after successfully completing a run. At the end of the run, your score will be ranked and you will be awarded with Tower Knowledge, which can be spent at The Box of Many Things to acquire permanent Perks and grow stronger, which will allow you to combat the enemies in Torghast even quicker.
      • Save souls and defeat the Jailer's forces to become Anima Empowered, allowing you to more effectively crush your foes through a variety of combat and score bonuses.
    • New Layers
      • Four new and more challenging Layers have been introduced, Layers 9–12.
      • Layers are now unlocked by reaching a specific rating in the previous Layer's run.
    • New Bonus Floor: Adamant Vaults
      • Brave adventurers who make their way through Layers 9–12 efficiently will now be given the option to enter the Adamant Vaults, a new set of floors in Torghast. There they will be challenged against the new creatures and traps that lie within for a chance at even greater rewards.
    • Torments
      • Starting at Layer 4, Torments are applied to increase the challenge of the run.
      • Torments are displayed on the HUD and provide an additional challenge to overcome.
      • Torments are selected per wing per day.
      • The existing Torments are no longer applied.
    • Blessings
      • Through Tower Knowledge, you can unlock Blessings that will provide bonuses to your run.
      • Like Torments, Blessings are selected per wing per day.
    • Soul Ash
      • The amount of Soul Ash that is awarded for the first completed run of the week for any given Torghast Wing and Layer has been increased.
      • Repeat runs of previously completed Torghast Wings and Layers will now award partial Soul Ash.
      • Players that have unlocked Layer 9 of Torghast will now be able to transfer Soul Ash at a slight loss to another character on their account by seeking out Bonesmith Heirmir in Korthia.

Talent Tree System
    Torghast will now reward players with Tower Knowledge at the end of each run which can be spent in a new talent tree to unlock perks and advantages inside Torghast. This functions relatively similar to the talent tree for Horrific Visions in Battle for Azeroth.

You unlock the Box of Many Things in the Runecarver's area as you progress through the initial stages of 9.1. This is the location of your talent tree.

For a complete rundown of the available perks and their cost, check out our initial preview!

Empowerment
    The first thing you will notice upon starting a Torghast run is a bar that fills whenever you do certain things in Torghast, such as killing mobs, freeing souls, and destroying urns.

When the bar fills past the white line, you and your paerty receive an extra action button that you can activate to empower your group. The duration increases the more filled the bar is when activated.

Activate Empowerment - The party becomes Empowered for up to 30 sec, increasing Haste by 10%, Leech by 15%, and movement speed by 20%. While Empowered, all actions grant 100% bonus points.

Scoring System
    There is no longer a limited amount of deaths that can occur in a Torghast run before it ends. You are given the important rewards at the end of a run just for completing it.

However, there is now a scoring system that occurs at the end of each floor and then a total score at the end of the run, granting you a crystal rating 1 through 5. The score is based on how well you performed during your run and incentivizes doing well. Unlocking new layers is tied to this score and you receive additional Tower Knowledge for higher scores.

Last edited by Lumy; 2021-06-29 at 12:33 AM.

OMg OMg OMg!!! A new system. I am SOOOOOO excited!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijello View Post
    OMg OMg OMg!!! A new system. I am SOOOOOO excited!!!! lol
    And your point is ... ?

This is nothing but a (much needed) extra layer of depth into an otherwise boring as fuck activity. I like it and am excited to try it out when it hits live.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Torghast rework nobody asked…

Why not just make it fun ? It's now a scored chore, nice I wont be able to carry friend's alts through my weekly runs now.

Blizzard *changes something*

MMO Champion *angerly pays their subscription cost while telling their totally uninterested friend how blizzard is trying to take over the world by not removing LFR and adding content*

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    The Torghast rework nobody asked…

Why not just make it fun ? It's now a scored chore, nice I wont be able to carry friend's alts through my weekly runs now.
    It's not going to stop you from that.

Most of what matters is clearing, destroying, collecting souls and killing, the timer doesn't matter much at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh good a scoring system, just what i didn't want to see in torghast.

I hope I'll still be able to rest at the vendor in the middle floor.

nine point done

Way to make an already uninteresting feature even more tedious and uninviting.

Blizzard always outdoes themselves on Retail. I wonder if they truly know how unapproachable and daunting it is to join this game at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    And your point is ... ?

This is nothing but a (much needed) extra layer of depth into an otherwise boring as fuck activity. I like it and am excited to try it out when it hits live.
    My point is I was laughing at something I found funny. Hence the "lol".

Lighten up maybe? If we can't laugh at Torghast, the Tower of Boredom, what can we laugh at? O.o

I'm happy with the updates. Played through a couple times on the PTR and gave some feedback. Looking forward to it on live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Systems on systems in systems under systems incestuous with systems... have they learned nothing from BFA?

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's not going to stop you from that.

Most of what matters is clearing, destroying, collecting souls and killing, the timer doesn't matter much at all.
    Now you see here this is where you are mistaken. Some of us come here to chat on other forums or check in on WoW and have not paid Blizzard a dime going on 2 years now. So yeah it kind of matters the rage you see here because it is what everyone else see's on every other WoW info site.

What I see are pointless forced changes that some asked for that affect everyone else. Why isn't there a two tier system that you can toggle the difficulty for a lower reward without the Torments or stupid scoring system? Why is the system so forced on the player base. Where are the cosmetics? Where are the fun items? Everything is always a grind.

Now I guarantee you they are not going to do their own leaderboard but dump it onto the community to download the API and do their jobs for free YET AGAIN.

More gimmicky systems that only apply to one activity and mean nothing once you step outside Torghast. Unless a reward you win actually makes it outside the walls, but the bulk of stuff here just seems to try to make your Torghast runs 'easier' or to get a shorter time/higher score, or to open higher floors to ... run more Torghast...

I just did Twisting Corridors layer 2-8 yesterday and today. Glad I got to experience its torturous ways before the big changes. I doubt I'll ever step foot in Torghast again though, unless it's required for a future quest.

The 8 Layer achievements should become Legacy Feats of Strength imo, but I doubt they'd be that classy

ok, just read the first 2 lines.

quickly first question comes to my mind:

do we have now:

layer1 with mobs
    layer2 with mobs
    layer3 with item selling
    layer4 with mobs
    layer5 with mobs and directly endboss on layer5 ?

or do we have now:

layer1 with mobs
    layer2 with mobs
    layer3 with item selling
    layer4 with mobs
    layer5 with item selling and boss ?

because if its the first one, blizz saved us 20s of time. wooohooo. and it would be sad, if this is their answer to „torghast too long“. but if its the second variant above, it is fine and cut 1 layer with mobs. which saves a good amount of time.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

RE: Patch 9.1 - Torghast, Tower of the Damned Changes and Additions

Well, it seems I will be dumping Torghast as a semi-enjoyable activity. This "rework" does not sound like fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Oh good a scoring system, just what i didn't want to see in torghast.

Exactly! One of the reasons that I kind of like Torghast as an activity—beside the fact that mistweaver monk is able to totally cheese it—is the lack of scoring and timing or whatever. I hate mythic+ dungeons, and have hated them since their introduction in Mists of Pandaria. If that is your jam, fine; it is not mine, so please keep it away from from one of the very few activities in the current expansion content that is kind of okay.

Second question:

Is the perks i buy saved to my selected spec?

Example:

When i buy a perk as Sub Rogue, that increases my Eviscerate dmg this not helps my Outlaw spec (no Evis spell). So, do i have to get currency again to buy i.e. a perk increasing my pistol shot (outlaw spec) ?

i asked this, because this means, if going with different specs, i always want to spend perk currency for something common like 6% increased crit.

is this right ?

Edit:

ahhhhh, with the term „perks“ they mean their new tree UI. i thought „permanent perks“ are the abilities you can get in torghast. but now also as permanent ones (in addition to what you get inside torghast).

so i have to check that tree perks for my class first.

question: does the tree act like a talent tree and switch with my specs when i change spec ? or do i have to respec the perks on the tree, every time i go torghast with another class spec ?
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-06-29 at 03:54 AM.

Blizzard is clueless on game design. These changes are horrible. More complex systems to boring content. Yay!