Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They're going to do it, just like almost every MMO on the market has done this in some fashion. Yet people act righteously outraged as if it's some personal affront to them or some shit. It's like a lot of the drama around the Aion classic launch and P2W right now. People are losing the marbles, but it seems like many of them aren't even bloody playing the game yet are still outraged.

P2W has largely always been a bigger issue people complained about than actually exists. Same with lootboxes etc. Everyone loves blanketing the internet with how they'll ruin X or Y game and how the company is just greedy etc., yet when it comes down to it at the end of the day they'll flock to the game or spend insane amounts on the lootboxes. Or be playing CoD:MW2 on launch day on PC despite membership in a group boycotting the game because it didn't have dedicated servers.
    Having XP or profession boosts 5 months after launch is a lot less bad than if they had it at launch, that's for sure. However it's clear they designed the game in a way where they had those boosts and "QOL improvements" in mind, evident by some of the patch notes where they actively removed some of the things they plan on selling for real money on the store. That's where I have a problem with it.

It's not like for example how wow was when it first came out. I know 15 years ago was a different time than today, but bear with me. WoW back in the day took a LONG time to level to max for most players, we're talking about months. But it was done that way because they saw leveling as a type of content, not because their intention was to sell leveling boosts half a year after release. To me that's a big difference.

When something comes up 2 years after a game is released and a developer decides to "fix" the issue by selling a QOL item in a store, it's still differnent than designing a NEW game intentionally with that QOL thing missing, just so they can sell it to you a few months later. A game that's still in alpha/beta shouldn't think about selling QOL items in a real-money store, they should think about implementing their features in a way where no QOL purchase is needed. That's my issue with that.

I didn't need a streamer or youtuber to tell me these issues, somehow people always respond to these things with "oh another person who just listens to streamer propaganda". It's the result of having a brain and using it, and not being okay with extremely player-unfriendly business practices. And yes, even while I don't particularly like it, I'm more okay with a 10+ year old game slowly becoming that way, than a new game starting this bullshit in alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    snip
    Its a game without a sub, it absolutely needs a cash shop and the xp boosts are not even going to be available for a while so it doesnt matter at all, the game is close to release so it would be pretty stupid if the company didnt already know the main plan with what they are selling in the cash shop or not so it needs to be tested before release.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Its a game without a sub, it absolutely needs a cash shop and the xp boosts are not even going to be available for a while so it doesnt matter at all, the game is close to release so it would be pretty stupid if the company didnt already know the main plan with what they are selling in the cash shop or not so it needs to be tested before release.
    I'm not saying they don't need money. I'm saying they're doing it in a very player-unfriendly way. There are other ways of monetizing games.

And please don't respond with "I don't mind, so it's not bad"

I'm not saying they don't need money. I'm saying they're doing it in a very player-unfriendly way. There are other ways of monetizing games.

They are...cosmetics, which is what will be in the store at launch. And still be in the store when convenience items are added.

Cosmetics and a few convience xp boosts months down the line is not a player unfriendly way, in fact its good to have these services as it makes leveling a new character less of a chore or new players can lvl up faster to play with friends. At some point leveling becomes a chore and less enjoyable so at least you have a choice to make it go by faster.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I am in the Alpha. It is one of the worst MMO's I have ever played. Regardless of if it's P2W or not, the game itself couldn't be worse.

Don't get your hopes up.

New closed beta began today -- plenty of footage to check out on twitch, etc. 190k concurrent players currently (actually making starting zones a bit of a mess).

Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    New closed beta began today -- plenty of footage to check out on twitch, etc. 190k concurrent players currently (actually making starting zones a bit of a mess).
    Hoping they do some beta key giveaways with MMO blogs or something, didn't get a beta key but I'd love to give it a spin before launch to see if it's worth keeping a close eye on or not.

Preorders, alpha testers, and a beta random selection signup page are the 3 ways you can get a key. Considering there's 200k in right now, and i know there were only a limited number of alpha testers (i've been in since March) and cant imagine too many preorders, i suspect they had a huge wave of beta invites from signups. Beginning zones are like a 100 players in each quest area (spawn rates are dynamic, currently very fast so that's a plus, no real waiting). Think its pleasantly surprising a lot streamers who only remember the horrible October alpha state. Still dont know how popular any new MMO will be, or the very different world that this is, but its clearly Amazons strongest effort so far.

7+ Year Old Account

Can you give an example of how their current store is player unfriendly? New World has already addressed cosmetics and have stated they plan to keep in-game armors as being as high quality as those sold in the store, and other convenience items appear to be catch-up mechanisms such as experience and skill boosts, which they have said they want to delay until 2022 or later (i.e.: after their core audience will have hit max level and, likely, max professions). Like, this isn't as predatory as a game like ESO (selling the ability to unlock achievements you have made on one character on others, incl. Skyshards, Skill Lines, etc.) or as detrimental to the economy as WoW (WoW token), so I fail to see exactly what they're doing wrong for a pay once play forever style of monetization.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Hoping they do some beta key giveaways with MMO blogs or something, didn't get a beta key but I'd love to give it a spin before launch to see if it's worth keeping a close eye on or not.
    Well, it's a little buggy at the moment. Fishing is the most dangerous activity in the game right now as there's a chance for it to crash the client and you incur a 30~40min debuff called "Stuck in Queue".
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

I played for a few hours today. Combat is going to get very stale very fast. You can equip two weapons at once, which can each have 3 abilities equipped from a choice of six abilities per weapon type, plus light and heavy attacks. That could be fine, but the abilities seem to typically be 20-30 second cool downs and swapping weapons mid combat felt sluggish, so you are mostly just clicking. The game has some good elements, but the core combat design is lacking any sort of depth, which is damning for any mmo in the long term.

Loving all the changes made so far. Already level 12 and having a blast chopping wood and hunting turkeys.

Turkey Hunting Simulator 2021.

i take it there's no NDA going on now? if any video savvy person would show the weapons in combat that would be appreciated. from what i've seen they look kinda underwhelming.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I'm a MMO fan, so I will probably at least give it a try.

The next wow expansion is probably 2 years out, so this and FFXIV should easily fill the gap.

I watched some New World gameplay videos and they looked interesting enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    Had a lot of fun today and I was pleasantly surprised how smooth the game ran. FPS was pretty good and no lag whatsoever. All mobs suddenly disappeared and my server went to maintenance at 3 AM, which was probably a good thing so I went to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw streamers practically begging people to take keys last night.

The game is tighter than it was last year but a lot of the same. The same fundamentals are their, so youll probably end or liking or loathing it more if you got to play it before. Server tech is great, but its Amazon and they run half the internet anyway.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I don't know how I feel about the combat,I feel like having only 6 skill total is going to get boring fast and repetitive,also not a big fan of the animation lock

Quote Originally Posted by PingPong View Post
    I don't know how I feel about the combat,I feel like having only 6 skill total is going to get boring fast and repetitive,also not a big fan of the animation lock
    Really just comes down to how they implement it and how the enemies play.

I can use the same weapon with it's like.. 6 moves throughout all darksouls and never get bored, but timing, enemy variety, etc, all keep it interesting despite its simplicity. A game like wow, OTOH, would get dull in .01 seconds with only 6 skills and huge animation lockouts that slow down the pace.

These newbies running around trying to throw magic all over the place. They ain't ready for my tomahawking ways. LMAO

Edit: PVP toned WAY down. I remember early in this thread ppl we're worried about PVP. Don't be. They made it like every other MMO now. Opt-in PVP that means almost nothing.

Edit 2: And yes, they added a lot of pve 5-man dungeons. Also for rhe folks worried about PVE early on.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-07-21 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Opt-in PVP that means almost nothing.
    This pleases me to no end, considering the games origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Edit 2: And yes, they added a lot of pve 5-man dungeons. Also for rhe folks worried about PVE early on.
    How are they? Heard they actually have like, puzzles and storylines and shit.