View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. This poll is closed
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Parallel universe shenanigans is bad

Going to the actual realm of death and removing its mystery only to find out you can use a fucking portal to go there now like it's just another landmass is terrible
    and the portal there is for gameplay, lorewise we are in SL since we got there and have yet to come back
    btw, the same applies to WOD, otherwise it wouldnt make sense either - "you are in different timeline, 30ish years ago, where you got only thanks to time dragon shenanigans? well take this portal made by regular mage which takes you exactly to your timeline..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post
    Did... did you just compare WoW's story to game of thrones, in a positive way?
    Yes of course, because unlike most of the sheep (in both WoW and GoT cases) - I didn't follow instructions from 4 or 5 youtubers to hate something.

I just made my own decision based on what was there.

As I do for WoW, I did for GoT.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Shadowlands is slow, but I'm actually invested in the story; unlike a lot of people here who don't seem to understand it, it does make sense and doesn't really retcon much---as long as you assume the non-omniscient narrator.
    this, im 99% convinced (and most peoples comments make it even more clear) biggest problem of SL story is people dont pay atention and dont understand it, bcs its subtle, and they need the point served on silver plate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    The story is fine, problem is people just can't be bothered acutally following it - they just want the action and explosions..
    so much this, unless the point is served on silver plate a lot of people dont get it, and then complain its bad

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    I guess the final to HFP was stupid with Grom screaming we are free, but don't people generally like the leveling story?
    story in leveling ZONES was fine, tied only in zones themself
    story of expansion as whole was pretty horrible, and had pieces cut, and then continued like the pieces were there...

15+ Year Old Account
    I give zero fucks about the story.

I Story wise. WoD by far. The minute they introduced alternative timelines, and timetraveling anything dont mean anything anymore. The fact that they pretty much story wise ALMOST never mention stuff from WoD is prove atleast to me they want to pretend like it did not happend.
    It also was the worse way of lazy storytelling" OH look a 2nd dreanor, and if there is any changes that because.. minor changes may happend"
    But they never to my knowlege mention the fucking fact, that in teory there should be 2 Souls of Gul'dan In Main timeline Shadowlands. The OG and the WoD version.

Had the question been what is the biggest shame of the Murdering of a story, it would be shadowlands, Ones more they went with a concept over actively makeing sense.
    And what is happening to SL is a shame. But the worse story is WoD

10+ Year Old Account
    i prefer to wait to end, but so far WoD
    I did vote for SL because fresh wounds sting, but honestly? WoD beats easily
    We have total bullshit of legion one and same across all realities
    we have forgive Grom at end of exp
    we have warlords who weren't even focus of exp
    we have complete butchery of characters like how Blackhand is both a coward power hungry cheater idiot, and a hero who is willing to sacrifice himself for his tribe
    WoD has a lot of bullshit that honestly so far SL didn't beat it, but if Sylvannas is - as expected sadly - forgiven and turn to arbiter then SL will win, the most toxic fan was given charge of lore and won and fucked everyone who ever loved wow, congratulation to Steve Danuser, u won
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Shadowlands. WoD's story was just alternate universe stuff that made little sense, but eventually barely mattered at all. Shadowlands seems to be canon and is actively destroying well-established Warcraft lore from the last 20 years. It's creating links that barely make any sense or fit into the lore and it's just making a lot of characters a lot worse overall. Plus, the whole afterlive stuff is just a red flag for any universe and should be left untouched. Death has no real value or meaning anymore.

Shadowlands story is absolutely awful and an abomination. Not in the sense of BfA where it sucked a**, but was still serviceable. What they do in Shadowlands is just a massive f* up of the entire Warcraft lore.

And absolutely nothing about the Shadowlands story is subtle or intriguing or whatever people are claiming it to be to justify that SL story is "good". The story makes no sense at all, not just the major arc with the villain, but the motives of the Eternal Ones (or should we call them Incompetent Ones?) are laughable and rival those motives of a little kid that's throwing a temper tantrum (at first) which eventually gets spanked (later on) just to calm down before throwing a tantrum again.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-08-02 at 07:41 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    this, im 99% convinced (and most peoples comments make it even more clear) biggest problem of SL story is people dont pay atention and dont understand it, bcs its subtle, and they need the point served on silver plate
    pls explain Elune just recent video then, what does it mean, and is there anything behind it than showing that Bowmsamdi is actually and probably best god-like figure in azeroth?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    imo WoD was a more fun story. I'm sorry you disagree.
    i dont disagree?

SL is awesome if you don't count Sylvanas there.

It would've been really cooler expansion without her.

WoD made some horrible changes. Like the whole Burning legion trancedes realities which creates problems even now with shadowlands having the same crappy system with souls merging into one... which will never make sense.

If they would have kept the realities completly seperate... then the whole WoD story actually would not have been that bad... well expect the end where suddenly a genocidal maniac was friends with the people he tried to erradicate.

SL suffers from the aftershocks of WoD and many problems itself. Not real stories outside of the main story. Which would be ok if the main story would be that good... but it isn't and the drip feed us scraps of information since BfA and have not given ANY resolution to ANYTHING since than. Everything is an open question with another "twist" at the end. And the story itself is so... inconsequential and boring it just doesn't really immerse you.

TLDR: Wod made one mistake imho. SL suffers from that and the overall lack of different stories and missing resolutions to anything

15+ Year Old Account
    WoD by far, what a absolute ass story that was. Unpopular opinion but I quite like most of SL's story so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD will never be toppled for me. In one single hit they:

-Ruined Grom's character
    -Proved that orcs would be bloodthirsty even without demon blood, thus throwing the whole concept of orcish honor out of the window
    -Massively reduced the Legion's believability with the reality-transcending idiocy
    -Created the concept of mission tables which were (are?) hated by a ton of people
    -Destroyed and forever annihilated any further attempt at telling a story through time/dimensional travel

Shadowlands has a stupid bs story but it has not done the same amount of damage yet. I concede that, if we get a Sylvanas redemption arc, it will seriously come close to WoD.

They're both bad in different ways, despite both being shameless nostalgia bait.

WoD was goofy self-congratulatory fun, it's basically peak metzen with no one telling him to put down the doomhammer. It suffered from having a bunch of "badass" ideas that simply served to make everything messier due to poor execution, the entire 'feel' of the story is of masturbatory self-congratulation of the success of a bunch of barely disguised stolen fantasy tropes from the 80s.

SL on the other hand is simultaneously cynical and overserious. It bends over backwards to insert cheap references that seem almost mandated by pr to bump marketing, the whole maldraxxus/scourge thing with the nerubian architecture goof if evidence enough of that. Beyond that retroactively parasitising the jailer to both the legion and the scourge through the dreadlords makes his plan needlessly convoluted and cheapens past events (did this galaxy brain 5head plan factor archimonde throwing an almost total victory in the third war by being a tool?). Beyond that everyone is sick of Narthanos' self insert waifu fiction at this point, the story had annihilated the character (literally), it's bending the plot into pretzels to justify her actions and it's completely indefensible she has been three consecutive cinematics
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2021-08-02 at 09:01 AM.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

No matter which direction Shadowlands' story takes in the next patch, it's always going to be worse than WoD for me. The entire premise of the expansion is the most demoralisingly bland mash of generic afterlife concepts that are somehow steeped in retarded utilitarianism with close to no ties to anything we've seen in the Warcraft universe and no overarching narrative to ground it in. The only actual tie-ins into preexisting lore are based on retcons to a point where they often actively cheapen previous stories.

Warlords of Draenor was a cool Warcraft setting with an unfinished silly story. Shadowlands is just rotten to the core.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Story wise, I enjoyed WoD more than this on the spot "rule of cool" writing they have going on now for SL. Give me a reason to care about Bald Barry and his boring antics, it's been almost a full year and he's still boring as fuck.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

As already mentioned above, WoD lore, as good or bad as it was, was limited to that expansion, i.e. you could move the story forward without thinking too much about it.

On the other hand, SL hard-retcons almost every single plot line in the last 20 years.

Hence, regardless of what you think about SL lore, i.e. whether it’s good or bad (It’s an abomination for me personally), the SL lore has retconned irreparably the lore from WC3 and all expansions until now, as well as all of the future lore that should be seen through its lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Hey,

inspired by another SL story thread, i asked myself what MMOC ppls say:

Which one had/has the more worse story? WoD or SL ?

This thread should not feel like its purely targeted to ppl that do not like the SL story. Or to disgrace SL (or WoD). But i also do not want to add some „i liked both, but WoD more“ and „i liked both, but SL more“ options, since when you like SL factor 100 more than WoD, it still answers the question. In short: I purely wanna find out what ppl vote solely between the 2, even when that poll feels a bit negatively associated (what is not my intention per se).

So, without any real rating HOW good or bad you find the story of the 2 xpacs: Which one had/has, in your opinion, the more worse story ?

WoD or SL ?

Happy voting

Edit:

REMINDER: Dont forget we talk solely about the story/writing/lore here, NOT about the xpac itself (xpac as a whole)!
    I quite liked WoD, there were definitely some mishaps there but the setting genuinely drew me back to WoW after cataclysm chased me away.

And i gotta say: SL is shaping up to be a new Cata for me, both in story and in systems.
    (Cataclysm at the time chased me away with systems and story execution, as opposed to its story overall).
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoD. Scattered random ass story that had to be changed half way through to be a Burning Crusade story.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Once Sylvans has been fully redeemed and is now absolved of all her crimes and shouts "the shadowlands are freeee", this will dethrone WoD once and for all.
    Quite possibly