Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Look at the "enemy combatant" language that was used as a lawful dodge for habeas corpus...
    One just has to ask a one Mr. George Takei what happens to people of whatever nationality the US is at war with. He is a living reminder that the US, at one point in time, setup real detention camps because someone was from a certain place that the US was at war with.

Hmf....had to sign up for selective service when I turned 16. Filled out a card at the post office...and done.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's a really strange question since a war with China is so unlikely. Things like a major war or civil war are often discussed as being far more likely than they are in alt-right media because it's part of the fear mongering used to push their agenda. They scare people into accepting a more radical agenda that way.

Even if we play along in a hypothetical, it's very unlikely internment camps in the US would ever return. If it's a small regional conflict over for example the Spratly Islands, that's unlikely to change anything in the US. If it were a major war, that's likely WW3 and internment camps would be the last of our worries. Not glowing would be more the concern. They did have internment camps in WW2 of course but that was also over 75 years ago and has been viewed as a mistake historically in the US since then. It's very unlikely we would get in a large conventional war with China that would lead to internment camps now. China on the other hand would likely intern every single American living/travelling/working in China the instant any conflict started. Look at what has happened domestically in HK over the past 2 years and interment that is already happening in the mainland to Chinese citizens for religious reasons, Americans in China certainly would not fare better.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall all Afghan, and Iraqi immigrants being detained after 9/11. I assume if they are not related to the Chinese government nothing would happen to immigrants.

In today's Yuppie's bash the USA thread phrased in the form of a question...

It would depend on if the USA is winning the war or losing. If losing, expect bad things to happen.

This would be the likely scenario for any losing nation/organization looking for scapegoats.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ScipioMoroder View Post
    If the US does to war with China, there will definitely be a draft, it will be unavoidable at that point.

But also, "yeah no, not even a little bit"...maybe read the Selective Service website before you come at me like some arrogant little middle school girl.

https://www.sss.gov/register/who-needs-to-register/#p1

Sincerely, someone who actually signed up for SS once I turned 18...

Evidently I seem to be the only one here who actually knows anything about selective service...
    And bothered to look it up - I should have done that, because I obviously missed the boat on that one. Thanks for the clarification and not jamming it down our throats as well.

That being said, I would still disagree with the draft being revitalized. Here's why:

In an actual war with China, there would be so many variations of how it would start, what it would be about (Taiwan being the top contender for that slot), and how far it would go, it's impossible to say for sure how it would play out. However, unless one of us decides to physically invade the other, the conflict will largely play out in the air/sea/digital arenas. And those three don't take a lot of physical bodies to complete.

The U.S. has more than 2,000,000 personnel in active and reserve duties (not including the Coast Guard), that we could fight those battles without the need for an influx of massive new numbers.

Plus, we would naturally seen a voluntary enlistment increase after a conflict started, such as we did after 9/11. I would guess that in an all out war (i.e. Congress declares such as they did for WWII) we would see an additional uptick in voluntary enlistment.

Those two fairly practical premises and assumptions would point directly to not needing the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I want to see this war and what comes with it to get my answer.
    Everything anyone needs to know about you in a single sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Don't forget the use of "exciting" elsewhere.
    To be sure, this is not the only time that particular poster has revealed the quality of their character...but it's just a nice single sentence summary of everything you can expect from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Back during WW2 if you were a german, japanese or italian immigrant, even several generations US citizen already, you were put in prison camps... some of those camps were in South-America too iirc.

I'm not sure what today's laws say about it, but I imagine the same might happen. Iirc a whole lot of people were round up when the US wars in the middle-east began too.
    Laws have little to do with it.

Those WWII camps were to a large extent unconstitutional back then and still would be.

He's been around for years. Even changed his name at one point to try get away from his past reputation. Unfortunately, people aren't stupid and can remember names when you don't change literally anything else about your account lol

Currently, if he's not trying to rag on Asian countries and/or anime (even though he admits to watching it), he's pushing for war with China, as we see here.

I'm surprised he isn't perpetually banned, tbh.
    Yeah, I know. I remember his various threads about how autistic people and cripples make him sick.

I actually forgot about those... Whew.
    Yeah there was another post in the activisionblizzard lawsuit thread where someone else levied a more specific condemnation of his character. I won't repeat the exact phrase but it rhymes with "Sell Fish, Runt"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That's very true but that can be avoided by planning all the right moves ahead of time, communicating with everyone in society, and setting up the relevant policies so that there can't be collective punishment of local citizens in wartime. There's always a solution and you should never accept the claim that "it is human nature, it cannot be improved".
    Wow pc in favor of planning. Who would do this planning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf....had to sign up for selective service when I turned 16. Filled out a card at the post office...and done.
    It's 18 here, I argued with the military propaganda recruiter for the better part of 30 minutes that it was illegal to sign me up. He came to the dorms at the college to sign people up, circa 1996. He went on at me about Patriotic Duty, threats to financial aid, mandatory prison sentence bullshit. I pretty much said "That's nice, but I can't. It's illegal for me to sign up for selective services." He finally asked why I thought I was so important and above Patriotic Duty.

I notified him I was only 17. He looked so pissed.
    His ass was back there the next month, on/around my birthday. I smiled and filled out the paperwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryctos View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall all Afghan, and Iraqi immigrants being detained after 9/11. I assume if they are not related to the Chinese government nothing would happen to immigrants.
    That is because Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.