Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

fran townsend steps down from abk women's network, still at Activision-Blizzard

https://www.shacknews.com/article/12...womens-network

Just wanted to spread the news mostly. though i do have to ask, why the heck was a torture activist hired as a chief compliance officer or to a video game company? there isn't even any kind of overlap of relevant experience.

Mod Note: Edited title to be "Activision-Blizzard" rather than "Blizzard" due to that the is the company name and how it relates to the whole company rather than a small section.

edit: it has come to my attention the title and post are slightly misleading. townsend stepped down from the abk women's network specifically.
    Last edited by aceperson; 2021-08-11 at 06:39 PM.

For clarity she is not "at" Blizzard, she's at Activision Blizzard. Very different for the sake of the debate that's going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Crazy how many employees have since "stepped down" or "exited" Blizzard in the last month. Very strange to read about, albeit disheartening. Hopefully it's ultimately for the best I suppose.

The harrasment campaign at reddit worked.

They really, really hate women in tech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post

Thats BS and you know it.

5+ Year Old Account

She wasn't being harassed because she was a woman, she was being harassed because she is a literal torture apologist and because her performance in this entire fiasco has been... let's say that less than stellar. But hey, nice attempt to get woke points by defending such a piece of human !@#$.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    For clarity she is not "at" Blizzard, she's at Activision Blizzard. Very different for the sake of the debate that's going to happen.
    i know that but saying or typing activision blizzard is too freaking long. i'd rather be lazy in this case.

I find this terribly funny considering how Fran - a woman herself - is one of the only people at Blizzard actively challenging the discrimination lawsuit and essentially serving as a sexism apologist

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Have you been under a rock for the past few weeks or something? Do you not understand what's happening?
    No need to get aggressive about it. Yes I've been following what's been going, and I'm not surprised this happened. It's just sad to see a company I've been familiar with since my childhood crumble so quickly.
    Last edited by druchii5; 2021-08-07 at 04:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    She wasn't being harassed because she was a woman, she was being harassed because she is a literal torture apologist and because her performance in this entire fiasco has been... let's say that less than stellar. But hey, nice attempt to get woke points by defending such a piece of human !@#$.
    If she'd played for the other political team, you'd be singing a slightly different tune. Just to be clear, I wasn't happy with Townsend (or the Bush administration) when it was current news.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    No need to get aggressive about it. Yes I've been following what's been going, and I'm not surprised this happened. It's just sad to see a company I've been familiar with as a kid crumble so quickly.
    I wouldn't say its crumbling. It's doing what it pretty much needs to in order to survive. I mean it's obviously taking a big black eye pr wise but this is the reality of what goes on at a lot of gaming companies that they weren't willing to honestly look at and take any steps to curb. Eventually it comes home to roost.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    i know that but saying or typing activision blizzard is too freaking long. i'd rather be lazy in this case.
    Either way it is still misleading. Since she stepped down from the company women's network where she was "executive sponsor". It really isn't newsworthy nor impacts her job duties. If you were lazy you could have literally copied the articles own headline.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Grax View Post
    If she'd played for the other political team, you'd be singing a slightly different tune. Just to be clear, I wasn't happy with Townsend (or the Bush administration) when it was current news.
    If she'd played for the other political team... she wouldn't be in the mess she's in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grax View Post
    Believe it or not there are a ton of independents in the world who were disgusted with the Bush era torture stuff. Townsend was involved in that, toured Abu Ghraib, and essentially approved of all of it. Unless you're one of those "If you're not a Republican you must be a liberal" people it's good to keep that in mind. Independents may outnumber either party at this point. Which is fine.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Yeah funny how people upset that women got harassed at Blizzard, had no problem with harassing a women, sure she is a really terrible human being and i wished she never joined Activision Blizzard but harassing is still harassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yeah funny how people upset that women got harassed at Blizzard, had no problem with harassing a women, sure she is a really terrible human being but harassing is still harassing.
    There is a difference between harassing a woman because she's a terrible human being and harassing a woman because she's a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Believe it or not there are a ton of independents in the world who were disgusted with the Bush era torture stuff. Townsend was involved in that, toured Abu Ghraib, and essentially approved of all of it. Unless you're one of those "If you're not a Republican you must be a liberal" people it's good to keep that in mind. Independents may outnumber either party at this point. Which is fine.
    There was a pretty big difference between what the policy was and what the actual implementation was. Are you educated about that or do you just lump everything you heard together? One can definitely use that as an exhibit for why such policies shouldn't be approached with a ten foot pole, but nonetheless I think very few people are outraged because of the policies as they were actually written.

I think the lady in question is a tool, and I'm not defending her per se. I just dislike it when people take facts only known afterwards and load them back into original intent. It's just very false.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Didn't think I was being aggressive, sorry. This comes as no surprise though after the shit-show she put on when this lawsuit came to light. I agree though it's super sad I remember as a kid one of my first ever all-time favorite SNES games was the death and return of Superman.
    All good, no worries! Yeah at this point, I need to stop being surprised about any news that will continue to come to light regarding all this. It is what it is.

I wouldn't say its crumbling. It's doing what it pretty much needs to in order to survive. I mean it's obviously taking a big black eye pr wise but this is the reality of what goes on at a lot of gaming companies that they weren't willing to honestly look at and take any steps to curb. Eventually it comes home to roost.
    A fair point indeed. I do hope the company is able to survive and operate in a decent manner again.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    A fair point indeed. I do hope the company is able to survive and operate in a decent manner again.
    Blizzard is in no way shape or form in any danger of being dethroned, crumbled into nothingness or anything of the sort. This is Blitzchung 2.0. In three months, people will barely remember this whole thing. It get that it feels uneasy now while we're smack dab in the thick of it but this is something Blizzard needs to work out internally and no amount of Twitter/social media grandstanding will have much of an impact on the ultimate outcome. (Restructuring of management within the company, outwardly facing commitments to "improve diversity," and Bobby Kotick in the business of people who've gone a long time without him being in their business.)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yeah funny how people upset that women got harassed at Blizzard, had no problem with harassing a women, sure she is a really terrible human being and i wished she never joined Activision Blizzard but harassing is still harassing.
    That's fucking retarded.