Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    I mean if we are honest they just made her insanely stupid to push a plot. I have seen hamsters show more basic deduction skill then the character.
    I agree. Had they given her an ounce of...well, even self-reflection would have worked, she might have questioned herself and her actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Sylvanas "I will serve no one" - can you get stronger or more independent than that?
    I'll ask you this: Can we get strong, independent, and *consistent* women in WoW?

Sylvanas spent years doing the Jailer's busywork, and when she hears the word "Serve", she's suddenly a strong and independent woman who doesn't need a man to tell her what to do, that's quite the U-turn she made there...

Jaina suffered from the same, she changed personality so often, nobody knows what's going on with her anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    I'll ask you this: Can we get strong, independent, and *consistent* women in WoW?

Sylvanas spent years doing the Jailer's busywork, and when she hears the word "Serve", she's suddenly a strong and independent woman who doesn't need a man to tell her what to do, that's quite the U-turn she made there...

Jaina suffered from the same, she changed personality so often, nobody knows what's going on with her anymore.
    I legitimately don't think blizzard writers can write female characters. They don't really do well with male characters most of the time either. Everyone loves garrosh now but he suffered from the same whiplash writing where once he was made an antagonist his actions stopped making logical sense even from his perspective.

I don't know if it is an inability to write a decent antagonist that isn't just a ancient evil or an insane being or if they don't trust the players to understand that villains can do terrible things for a greater good but still be fought against because of the price their actions bring about.

I have utterly given up on the idea that blizzard could write a story where both sides had legit reasons for conflict without one being morally superior to the other.

Who would replace her?
    I honestly hope we never get another "Sylvanas" in WoW for at least another decade. I would much rather get another Garrosh than another Sylvanas, because while Garrosh may have had some plot armor (1v1'ing a dragon in a closed environment--a ship-- and surviving nigh-unscathed, wth?), Sylvanas had a frigging plot fortress.

Sylvanas "I will serve no one" - can you get stronger or more independent than that?
    this has to be a parody

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Oh god, yes please. All these hysteria based face-heel-turns every other expansion are starting to get seriously annoying. Not to mention it's always done to prop up the even dumber villains. With Tyrande and Sylvanas they even started to daisy-chain this bad writing style. I think Thalyssra was the only recent (somewhat) major female character that didn't have to go through this. Otherwise the only way to escape this is by being part of the side cast like Shandris or Ysera.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I I have utterly given up on the idea that blizzard could write a story where both sides had legit reasons for conflict without one being morally superior to the other.
    Quite a challenge that Blizzard does fail at.
    To be fair... We have wise leaders of both factions and various races and none of which is wise enough. Taran Zhu in the beginning of MoP said it best describing the faction conflict as nothing more than a race war. And the closest we've ever seen any lasting peace between opposing races were the Night Elves and Tauren under the mantle of druidism. And it was somewhat furthered when Chen Stormstout banded Tauren Sunwalkers and Night Elf Sentinels in a temporary alliance against the mantid. This line of writing never went anywhere though, when it logically should have been tentatively explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Quite a challenge that Blizzard does fail at.
    To be fair... We have wise leaders of both factions and various races and none of which is wise enough. Taran Zhu in the beginning of MoP said it best describing the faction conflict as nothing more than a race war. And the closest we've ever seen any lasting peace between opposing races were the Night Elves and Tauren under the mantle of druidism. And it was somewhat furthered when Chen Stormstout banded Tauren Sunwalkers and Night Elf Sentinels in a temporary alliance against the mantid. This line of writing never went anywhere though, when it logically should have been tentatively explored.
    I think they fumbled it the worst in MoP. Making the war a reluctant one over resources like they hinted at would of been interesting. Having the horde and alliance reluctantly come to blows over the simple fact that someone has to starve would of been a compelling story. Instead devolving it into what it actually became just felt wasteful.

"Bad bitch" as in a faux-masculine, hyper emotional and reactionary female that fails at everything she does and then blames everything else around her? Or "bad bitch" as in she's just literally bad at everything she does?

5+ Year Old Account
    It will be either a neutral or Horde-aligned character, that's for sure. Bonus points if it's a female, because they do so love wrecking female characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Tyrande.It is alliance next to lose a major figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you with one exception: Zovaal is not on the Titan's level, he's at keeper's level. Zovaal's height is 30-40 meters. Titan has the size of the planet as was demonstrated in Legion end cinematic.

Other than that, Azshara is a great character to progress. We barely know anything about her, so plenty of stories to be told.

I legitimately don't think blizzard writers can write female characters. They don't really do well with male characters most of the time either. Everyone loves garrosh now but he suffered from the same whiplash writing where once he was made an antagonist his actions stopped making logical sense even from his perspective.

I don't know if it is an inability to write a decent antagonist that isn't just a ancient evil or an insane being or if they don't trust the players to understand that villains can do terrible things for a greater good but still be fought against because of the price their actions bring about.

I have utterly given up on the idea that blizzard could write a story where both sides had legit reasons for conflict without one being morally superior to the other.
    When they change original direction they often are far sloppier and rushed. Look at the contrast in the Nightborne story in 7.0 and the poor way they handled taking them to the horde as an allied race, because that was a u turn in their original direction.

It always seems rushed almost like the B team was put in charge and just slapped on some generic measures, no real depth in handling the change.

The most vulnerable moments are changes that happen during an expansion.

Garrosh was written well for the launc of Cata this is when blizz do their best and most comprehensive work.

But he wasn’t popular with a bunch of noisy fans so he was changed mid expansion going off the rails in a silly and trivial manner. Handled badly like every U-turn blizzard does mid expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    I agree with you with one exception: Zovaal is not on the Titan's level, he's at keeper's level. Zovaal's height is 30-40 meters. Titan has the size of the planet as was demonstrated in Legion end cinematic.

Other than that, Azshara is a great character to progress. We barely know anything about her, so plenty of stories to be told.
    I thought Eternals are actual deities, Titans are not. Titans might be huge in size but isn’t that irrelevant when you are an actual deity?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Titans are a power level than Eternals and First ones

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It will be either a neutral or Horde-aligned character, that's for sure. Bonus points if it's a female, because they do so love wrecking female characters.
    True. But they kinda rescued Jaina, Tyrande and now Sylvanas from the crazy they wrote into her given her a chance even if it was a bit messy - don’t you think?

I just hope it won’t be Wrathion. I quite like him although he has potential for that. Tired of evil blacks stereotypes

All true, but she felt she was in full control all the time, and was being strong and independent - but was actually enslaved ---sound familiar?

- - - Updated - - -

oh forgot, Maiev, she'd have been perfect, but then they started restoring her to sanity, but if she flips again, it would just be in character of her unstable character mould.. so yeh, it could work.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the last we heard from Magatha? She is the archetypical "old crone" if there ever was one.
    Last we hear of Magatha is in the Shaman order hall of Legion. She is currently in possession of something called The Doomstone, but she allows us the Farseer to use it.

5+ Year Old Account
    True. But they kinda rescued Jaina, Tyrande and now Sylvanas from the crazy they wrote into her given her a chance even if it was a bit messy - don’t you think?
    Jaina and Tyrande were never in danger, since they are Alliance - and we all know that Alliance characters simply cannot do anything wrong (and if they ever do, it doesn't really matter since it's always swept under the rug). As for Sylv, she's the prototype of a Creator's Pet, so we can expect the story to wildly bend around itself in order to accomodate that abomination of a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Needs to be unfoundedly arrogant character. Most likely Talanji or one of the elves. Could be Voltrois, Thalyssra, Shandris. Obviously Maiev would fit the role perfectly, but she holds absolutely no power, so she can't really replace Sylvanas unless they give her some major developments.
    Valtrois? When's the last time she did something relevant? She played a small part in the war campaign last expansion and that's it.

Zappy Boi, because that’s how much sense Blizzard lore makes currently.

Sylvie is on her way to a form of redemption and a definite chnage in character - now whether that turns out to be a great thing orn ot, depends on how well it's written, but her days as the love/hate character, the 2bitch" female character most shows and stories have seem to be over.

Who would replace her?

Elune? - I doubt it, she is benevolent despite a "?" mark over teldrassil
    Zovvaal? I don't think you can really put god-like beings into that sort of role - He's more Sargeras level type - wait, isn't Zovaal more powerful than Sargeras? Presumably Eternal Ones > titans

My bet, is Azshara -those two sly females had quite the catty moments in N'zoths revelation of their conspiring with each other. If Sylvie is turning good, then Azshara is the ideal candidate to take up that mantle.. I can't see anyone else filling that role - Tyrande possibly, until it is clear she chose renewal over vengeance and so gets to keep her night warrior powers but as a high priestess good person.

They could bring Xal'atath in play again, there is something more devious about that character, but not everything seems as evil as it appears, same with Azshara and same with Sylvie, so she might work.

Who is your bet?
    Anduin wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's get a Pandaren lady in here, with machinations on world domination.

Representation matters!
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Turalyon or Greymane