Page 1 of 2
LastLast

To all the "just play final fantasy/elder scrolls"

In every thread where someone suggest something for WoW there are now always some naysaysers: "just play FFXIV/ESO/Whatever" because yes, a lot of people hope that blizzard copies something from there that works and makes it better.

Dear Folks, don't forget how WoW started: WoW was NEVER an MMO that was groundbreaking, fresh and had completely new ideas. What WoW always was back then when mmos were still a thing was that they took the good stuff from other mmos, used it and made it better. But then there was no other mainstream mmo out there and blizzard began to stagnate. Later ESO and FFXIV came out, but eso was never the big success and had it's own playerbase, and FFXIV 1.0 was probably the biggest flop SquareEnix ever created; such a flop that they needed to stomp it down and re-release it. But even then it was ok, but not the big success. And even if upcoming expansions were better, it was still not the big thing.

But then covid hit everyone hard, and wow couldn't provide content anymore. Home Office is with a game like WoW not as easy as they tried to make us believe it is, and the whole development was frozen. Now FFXIV has content for all the players of WoW that are starving for it (and they managed to still release new stuff too) and it is natural that players want to play WoW, but simply can't, because there is no content for them and because WoW has still many big issues that needs to be fixed.

That said it is not that FFXIV was only successful because of covid, they actually did a lot of thing right, something that wow was doing before too. Not invalidating old content, a good storytelling (telling the story in the game rather than in a book), content for solo player, player housing, a huge crafting system and so on, and if blizzard went on as they did they would take over WoW, even if the combat system in FFXIV is horrible.

So nope, just because someone wants to improve WoW maybe with ideas from final fantasy 14, ESO does not mean that they should "just play FFXIV/ESO/Whatever". Especially when the success of WoW was always to improve the ideas from other games (or to be direct: steal it). Just let us play WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem with FF is that it looks horrible and is in an anime world. Never I would play this nightmare. WoW ftw
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    is in an anime world
    In what way? I've played it for about five years and I've never seen anything anime like in the game. I really don't like anime so I would probably have noticed.

The problem with FF is that it looks horrible and is in an anime world. Never I would play this nightmare. WoW ftw
    So basically a game is good only because of its art style. Got it.

To me it plays good enough and the story is good, way better than WoW. Does this meand FF14 is the better game? Obviously not. All while i get your point, i'm not a fan of the super flashy stuff on screen. I just got used to it. Right now i'm playing both games.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

you are coping hard right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    FFXIV 1.0 was probably the biggest flop SquareEnix ever created; such a flop that they needed to stomp it down and re-release it. But even then it was ok, but not the big success. And even if upcoming expansions were better, it was still not the big thing.
    I just want to point out, ARR was absolutely a big success. It took Square-Enix from multiple years running at a loss to running a profit almost single-handedly, name-checked alongside Bravely Default in the annual report to investors as a major part of the reason for Square's sudden resurgence. And every expansion since has reliably grown the playerbase. It's performed well enough that, barring the stipulation of an independent executive in the company (referred to jokingly by Yoshi-P as "the Mog Station Baroness") having control over the cash shop, Square has given Yoshi total creative control and what's effectively a blank check after he had two major wins under his belt in the company (he worked on Dragon Quest X before Square brought him in to fix and relaunch FFXIV).

Is it WoW-tier in terms of sheer numbers? No. And it's unlikely any game ever will be. But by industry standards (removing WoW as the obvious outlier it is) the relaunch hit the ground running and it's kept swinging for the bleachers since.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

In every thread where someone suggest something for WoW there are now always some naysaysers: "just play FFXIV/ESO/Whatever"
    well when someone makes thread "this 215646745254 things are done better in FFXIV, so wow have to change" there is literaly no other logical response...

its like if i wanted to add tanks and combat into Zoo tycoon bcs i love RTS, it makes no fuking sense, there is no need to fuck up zoo tycoon with thing that in my SUBJECTIVE OPINION are better and would make the game more to my taste since there already are games that have it...

- - - Updated - - -

Just let us play WoW.
    right back at you, just let us play wow, not some amalgation of things from other games YOU PERSONALY like...
    and since you know already blizz have no problem to steal ideas they think would make the game better, why SWARM the forums with your personal preferences list?! you think wow devs will be like "uh, i think this system from other game is shit but Velerios on MMO-C likes it so we will implement it"?
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-08-15 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    So basically a game is good only because of its art style. Got it.
    for some people, art style is a big deal. i personally dont mind the art style of either one, but some people hate wow art style, some people hate ff14 art style, and that will influence which game they play. be it either, both, or none.

if its something you cant stand and its going to be something youre staring at possibly several hours a day for years on end....

Perfectly said. If you want to discuss ideas/ systems Blizzard stole from other MMOs - look no further than Gw2. They stole/ borrowed transmogs, mount utility, M+, heritage armor, account-wide achievements and such, normalized Pvp (which did not work for WOW cause they did it wrong), zone scaling and a lot more.

"To all the "just play final fantasy/elder scrolls"

Could I take this thread to suggest to those people who only have the "go play something" argument for them to also suggest GW2 (Guild Wars 2)? In my opinion GW2 is better than FFXIV at all (including xmog and classes). And in PVP...GW2 is infinitely superior.
    I'm having a lot of fun with my "sniper rogue" (Thief Deadeye).

Last edited by Fantazma; 2021-08-15 at 09:28 PM.

Re: player housing in FFXIV

I didn't like it myself because it was artificially limited. I got my character to 50 in 4 jobs, did quite a bit of content and some gil farming, and couldn't even get a small plot on my server. I imagine with the massive influx of players, housing is even more expensive.

Interestingly I imagine there is a 'housing crisis' in ffxiv right now for the same reasons as big cities, unless they've added many more plots.

I did manage to join an FC with a housing spot and purchased a personal room, but that's nothing compared to something like a max tier large plot.

I imagine it's great for the people who got in early, but it's disheartening for anyone joining later. Idk why they'd ever limit them. Imagine if there were only a few thousand garrison plots back in WoD haha
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

5+ Year Old Account
    I would never play Final Fantasy, because it's so anime and I dislike it. Everything that is anime and pokemon oriented is just driving me crazy. I don't know how Elder Scrolls Online looks like but I am so looking forward for Elder Scrolls VI, because I loved Oblivion and Skyrim and those were one of the best games I ever played.

Blizz and Activision did as Nokia did when they crashed and burned. They thought that they were untouchable and that they didnt need to innovate. Now they are the underdog in Mmo market. They have to either adapt to current market ie take influence from competitors and make a better product or take their losses and move to a different field. The problem is that Activision is like EA of 2010. A place where studios go to die.

Blizzard is walking the plank for the next 6 to 12 months. Sharks are waiting for their fall and only way to survive is to learn to fly. 6 to 12 months is a damn short time to evolve a pair of wings when you have been devolving like blizz has been doing for the last 3 years

My problem is that it's clunky and the questing is absolutely ass. I keep being sent all over the world, I had 14 days and I got to level 53. Don't think I'll continue.

EDIT: I am not playing WoW nor do I think I'll ever play again, haven't touched it since last x-pac released.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

I really dislike the FF14 UI and menu’s. It looks to dated to me. Plus I really like wow’s cartoonish style and art.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    "To all the "just play final fantasy/elder scrolls"

Could I take this thread to suggest to those people who only have the "go play something" argument for them to also suggest GW2 (Guild Wars 2)? In my opinion GW2 is better than FFXIV at all (including xmog and classes). And in PVP...GW2 is infinitely superior.
    I'm having a lot of fun with my "sniper rogue" (Thief Deadeye).

When I've played GW2 it was an awesome game. Sadly what killed it for me was zero character progress / power increase. Best gear I got in basic Gw2 game was also Bis gear in the expansion I played (the one with forest dragon). Which was kinda pity since the game was good overall but story itself was not enough for me to buy the next expansion.

I’m enjoying all the wow kids coming into GW2 dropping out of HP trains cuz they can’t keep
    Up wondering why nobody will wait for them cuz they don’t know how to properly jump/glide onto points.

I’m also enjoying them run guardians en masse wondering why nobody will take them to their parties when “they’re a healer” lolz.

FF is garbage. ESO isn't very good. The best MMO atm is WoW Classic which is sad.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    When I've played GW2 it was an awesome game. Sadly what killed it for me was zero character progress / power increase. Best gear I got in basic Gw2 game was also Bis gear in the expansion I played (the one with forest dragon). Which was kinda pity since the game was good overall but story itself was not enough for me to buy the next expansion.
    This one below is a Necromancer in GW2. Pretty cool, don't you think?
    When I started to see the details of the GW2 Necromancer on the internet I fell in love and started playing right away... until I met Thief Deadeye who today is in my opinion the best class+spec of this game.
    Also, I'm seeing a lot of people here saying they don't like FFXIV because it's "too anime". Another positive point of GW2 as it has a more western art for characters.

Last edited by Fantazma; 2021-08-15 at 10:01 PM.

Only WoW can kill WoW. May I suggest you watch the video by Joshua Strife Hayes, very interesting.

All FF14, ESO have to do is ... keep on doing what they're doing.

How have the mighty have fallen!