Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    It's a mechanic that has been around since I picked up a controller and we are passed the point where we should need it to increase difficulty or build tension, as has been shown by other games by now. Hence outdated.

But I won't clog this up with my opinion. It's a shit mechanic the industry should have left behind.

- - - Updated - - -

How many awful experiences due to timed events/sections do I need to play through for my opinion to be valid? What's the number?

Literally playing through Kingmaker again before I hop into Path of the Righteous and the timed aspects of the game are a detriment.
    To be fair the timer of Kingmaker is pretty much non existent. You can literally 100% the game with half a year to spare without even playing optimally and instead just screwing around

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    Having to gear up
    For me that is something I still enjoy especially as you just ding to endgame level. It can get frustrating though when after weeks & weeks you are still waiting for them last couple of items.
    An Karanir Thanagor

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Youd be using your inventory a lot more. Like a lot more
    I disagree. I used it ALL THE TIME in the current system because I was picking up so many weapons and had limited space. The only thing changing here would be that you wouldn't be forced to sift through it due to weapon breakage.

How would it change the game? Well for one you wouldnt need to plan and prepare for big battles nearly as much,
    How or why? You'd still need to get the weapon you want, would still need/want to gather materials for cooking, would still want to get the other equipment you wanted to use.

youd spend a lot more time in the inventory screen sorting weapons
    Again, disagree. Because you wouldn't be sorting through it every time you pick up a weapon. Because you wouldn't HAVE to pick up every weapon you see, you'd only pick up the ones you want to keep or use as a throwing weapon. I was in my inventory all the time when I played. I would expect that to decrease if weapons didn't break, or otherwise stay the same. But the reason would be different.

and it would decreases the need to explore.
    If the only reason you're exploring is to go find yet another weapon that's going to break in 5 minutes, then IMO, there's something wrong. Knowing whatever I found would be broken or tossed soon after finding it made me want to explore LESS, not more, because it seemed pointless.

Weapon durability doesn't really stop you doing what you want either.
    It absolutely did for me.

Your taste in games must be so dull if you're so unwilling to try something new.
    What part of "I bought, played, and beat the game" didn't you understand? I tried something new and hated it.

Many games with a mana system can put you in a position where you cant deal much or enough damage to win the fight. Resource management in combat isnt new.
    I said name one.

That doesn't stop the opinions themselves being bad
    I can't say what I really want to say here, so I'll just say, your takes are horrible and you're ignored.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not so sure this is an "outdated" thing so much as just something I personally hate: Unpausable anything, but specifically cut scenes.

There should always be a pause button (obvious exception is multiplayer). Its a video game and real life happens, I shouldn't have to reload an old save because my wife asked me a question while I was playing, nor should she have to just shut up when I play. We're adults, stuff happens, we should be able to effing pause any single player game at any time.

I THINK back in the day it was a limitation of the system, cinematics were just movie files playing at a specific time so all you could do was skip if anything. But these days I see no reason why there should ever not be a pause button (Square-Enix seems to have started allowing pausing in cinematics at least in most new games)

Edit:

I just bought a switch specifically to finally play botw and some new pokemon. Can't wait to see if this weapon system is as terrible as this thread thinks it is.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2021-09-08 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

time limits to include enrage timers or bosses
    RNG
    Bag space limits (esp for crafting mats)
    one-shot mechanics
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Colour can absolutely be dated based on current trends. Gaming example - the beige PC case.

Similar to trends though, newer mechanics aren't necessarily better. Sometimes they're just different, and the old ones will come back around.
    That's fashion you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    This. Only being able to save in Kingdom Come Deliverance by using a highly limited potion (Saviour Schnaps) was infuriating. Sandbox games where there are different possibilities and lots of things that can go wrong practically require save scumming. I don't know what the devs were thinking on that one.
    Sorry, but "highly limited"?

Even after the tutorial there was plenty of herbs available to brew this. I could easily brew 20-30 potions of this stuff and sell most of them since i never need this much.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    This pissed me off no end in Dark Souls 2. Durability on some items was ridiculous. I don't mind it so much if the durability is minor and slow to degrade but it's almost always overtuned.
    Man dont get me started. Dark Souls 2 has many flaws but I think durbility is the worst one. The whole game is designed to clear every area and every area is teeming with mobs. You can basically only use a handfull of weapons because most weapons have like 30 durability. Or you need to buy hundreds of repair powders. I was lokking for a mod that changes the durability but I couldnt find one.
    If I wanted to play Dark Souls 2 again I would probably use cheat engine to avoid the awful durability system.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's fashion you are talking about.
    Yes. It is. And it's how colours become dated, then relevant again. And how game mechanics can become dated, then relevant again.

There are some game mechanics, much like there are things in clothing design, that are just straight up superceded by better technology. Some things though fall in and out of favour. Applying to both the larger genres, and the smaller individual mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    a very powerful but unrepairable weapon can have it's flair.

sure same effect as rare special ammo but if it's a sword it's a bit hard to come up with a ammo equivalent.

what's your take on potion durability? 1 time use? few charges that reset on rest? infinite use only limited by cooldown?
    when ever they have something like that it ends up never being used at all and end up beating the game without using it

Another one to add. Any sort of lack of any bad luck protection on rare drops. If a mount is a 1% chance of dropping, just give it to them automatically if it hasn't dropped by the 100th run. The devs are just being assholes after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Man dont get me started. Dark Souls 2 has many flaws but I think durbility is the worst one. The whole game is designed to clear every area and every area is teeming with mobs. You can basically only use a handfull of weapons because most weapons have like 30 durability. Or you need to buy hundreds of repair powders. I was lokking for a mod that changes the durability but I couldnt find one.
    If I wanted to play Dark Souls 2 again I would probably use cheat engine to avoid the awful durability system.
    Duriability in Dark Souls 2 is tied to frames it spends inside hitboxes. Do you play on PC? Congratulations, duriability gets damaged at double the rate than it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I'm not so sure this is an "outdated" thing so much as just something I personally hate: Unpausable anything, but specifically cut scenes.

There should always be a pause button (obvious exception is multiplayer). Its a video game and real life happens, I shouldn't have to reload an old save because my wife asked me a question while I was playing, nor should she have to just shut up when I play. We're adults, stuff happens, we should be able to effing pause any single player game at any time.

I THINK back in the day it was a limitation of the system, cinematics were just movie files playing at a specific time so all you could do was skip if anything. But these days I see no reason why there should ever not be a pause button (Square-Enix seems to have started allowing pausing in cinematics at least in most new games)

Edit:

I just bought a switch specifically to finally play botw and some new pokemon. Can't wait to see if this weapon system is as terrible as this thread thinks it is.
    It's still a nice game, but it is so in spite of it, not because of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Another one to add. Any sort of lack of any bad luck protection on rare drops. If a mount is a 1% chance of dropping, just give it to them automatically if it hasn't dropped by the 100th run. The devs are just being assholes after that point.
    Also this, by a lot.
    Really rng on its own is terrible enough, but stuff like that makes me wonder why countries delay treating it as the gambling it is.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Busy and overly flashy graphics: When people are purposely turning their graphics settings down to avoid issues with overly busy graphics and effects because it puts them at a disadvantage, it's time for the devs to give up on that.

There are certain break points here, games like Ghosts of Tsushima, Skyrim (including mods) are made better by their graphics, other games like FFXIV or Battlefield 4-now the graphics actively work against the player because they are just too busy.

10+ Year Old Account
    dazed mechanic , its such an stupid concept

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Sorry, but "highly limited"?

Even after the tutorial there was plenty of herbs available to brew this. I could easily brew 20-30 potions of this stuff and sell most of them since i never need this much.
    You have to save scum a LOT during the early game because the combat is entirely stat based. Unless you have grinded up your skill to level 20 by doing the Rattay Tourney over and over so that you can go around and continually thrust people in the face with a shortsword, you cannot survive combat with anyone. And if you did thieving like I did, then you need even more saves because it is possible for you to be spotted and you don't know why that happened. The game was buggy and there were so many things that could go wrong. Maybe you were able to find the ingredients to produce the potions early on, but I couldn't. Also, mass producing potions is rather tedious, as each potion takes 3 minutes to make and you have to produce dozens of them before you can unlock the mass produce/batch option.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Duriability in Dark Souls 2 is tied to frames it spends inside hitboxes. Do you play on PC? Congratulations, duriability gets damaged at double the rate than it was intended.
    No that was fixed a long time ago. Its still shit.

One shot mechanics with no wind up and offscreen. Looking at you PoE
    Undodgeable reflect damage. PoE again
    Kill mobs to collect bodyparts quests with less than 100%drop rate. Headless raptors in barrens and gutless gorillas in STV.
    Bulletsponge bosses

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    My number 1 reason why I never bothered playing Breath of the Wild.
    Same here, It's annoying as all hell.

My pick: Putting non-combat stats on gear, e.g. +1 smithing gloves, +1 alchemy amulet, +1 mining trousers, etc.
    I don't understand why developers still do this.

All it does is making the boring parts of a game like gathering or crafting extra painful, because you need to swap in and out of gear before doing it. Usually on top of terrible inventory systems.
    It can also lead to wasted skillpoints if you learn there is crafting gear too late and already invested into the stat to the cap (like smithing 5 in divinity original sin, when all you actually needed to cap was 2 because there are 3 slots with +1), which just doesn't feel good.
    Or it completely breaks the game like in Skyrim where one crafting stat feeds into the other creating a loop which allows to forge gear that oneshots everything.