7+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    I said, a new day dawns where I win

7+ Year Old Account
    + 32

Sorry but you are not "winning" today if I can help it. ( except at bicycling )

Quote Originally Posted by Moi2003 View Post
    + 32
    Though it helps if you posts the correct number...

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    No biking today.

But that's because today's my rest day. Tomorrow is 60-80 miles, then Sunday is 30. I have a pile of events coming up, though, that I'm super excited for! Next Sunday is the Apple Cider Century in Michigan, and then two weeks after that is the Hilly Hundred weekend in Indiana.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notJoyful View Post

Though it helps if you posts the correct number...
    shush, you were suppose to go with it.

That sounds dope, Darcy!

shush, you were suppose to go with it.
    Sorry!

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds dope, Darcy!
    It is! I’m gonna wear my favorite cycling kit:

Haha, that image made me think of a think of a name we have for people like you... "middle-aged-men-in-lycra". Which is a catch all name for people that spend their time on bikes and is a nuisance to both cars and pedestrians.

Either way, nice outfit haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, that image made me think of a think of a name we have for people like you... "middle-aged-men-in-lycra". Which is a catch all name for people that spend their time on bikes and is a nuisance to both cars and pedestrians.

Either way, nice outfit haha
    The day I'm middle-aged is the day I die

It is more of a catch-all phrase

10+ Year Old Account
    It's evil!

We're not a nuisance, though. We have as much right to be on the road as a car - indeed, in the US, roads were originally paved for cyclists, not vehicles. Horses were fine with dirt.

Yeah sure, it is more due to how for some rules they see themselfs as vehicles and others not such as red lights, stop sign, pedestrian crossings etc. As well as being a vechicle on roads where the speed limit is so far above what they can produce and it is narrow enough that you can't pass whereever you want.

It isn't really serious, but at the same time it is crazy serious

7+ Year Old Account
    Joy brought up a good point. If you have as much right as a car ( not disagreeing with that part) do you have to follow the same rules as cars ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah sure, it is more due to how for some rules they see themselves as vehicles and others not such as red lights, stop sign, pedestrian crossings etc. As well as being a vehicle on roads where the speed limit is so far above what they can produce and it is narrow enough that you can't pass wherever you want.

It isn't really serious, but at the same time it is crazy serious
    There are two sides to all of this. Roads with high speed limits should have protected bike lanes for bikes, or, in downtown/core areas, the speed limits should be lowered. It's really a problem that Chicago allows 30mph speed limits in the downtown area when every 300-500 feet is an intersection; it should be 20. We have few protected bike lanes, with most nothing more than paint on the ground and the promise of cars respecting it. Far more streets have no bike lanes at all.

Cyclists do have a bad rap for blowing stop signs and red lights. There is a reason behind it. Unlike a car, where a quick tap on the gas gets you moving again, cyclists have a much longer ramp-up time to get moving. In a city, having to slow every few hundred feet, unclip your foot from the pedal, stop, push off, clip back in, stand up, sprint, and then in a few hundred feet do it again is unbearable. It wastes a lot of energy and time. So when we come up to an all-way stop sign and there are no cars waiting, we go through them rather than stop. Likewise, if we come up to a red light and it's a clear intersection, we might unclip and slow, but we'll go through it rather than come to a complete, full halt.

Personally, I slow and usually stop at most red lights, especially if I saw a car pass through it as I was approaching, and I always stop for pedestrians. I don't stop at all-way stop signs that are clear, though, there is no reason to bother.

Joy brought up a good point. If you have as much right as a car ( not disagreeing with that part) do you have to follow the same rules as cars ?
    Legally, we're considered vehicles, and yes, legally, we are required to obey the street signals. In practice, that doesn't work. Roads were originally designed for us, but now they're designed for vehicles that accelerate quickly and have no issue with stop and go. And there is only so many miles of bike paths and trails we can get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There are two sides to all of this. Roads with high speed limits should have protected bike lanes for bikes, or, in downtown/core areas, the speed limits should be lowered. It's really a problem that Chicago allows 30mph speed limits in the downtown area when every 300-500 feet is an intersection; it should be 20. We have few protected bike lanes, with most nothing more than paint on the ground and the promise of cars respecting it. Far more streets have no bike lanes at all.

Cyclists do have a bad rap for blowing stop signs and red lights. There is a reason behind it. Unlike a car, where a quick tap on the gas gets you moving again, cyclists have a much longer ramp-up time to get moving. In a city, having to slow every few hundred feet, unclip your foot from the pedal, stop, push off, clip back in, stand up, sprint, and then in a few hundred feet do it again is unbearable. It wastes a lot of energy and time. So when we come up to an all-way stop sign and there are no cars waiting, we go through them rather than stop. Likewise, if we come up to a red light and it's a clear intersection, we might unclip and slow, but we'll go through it rather than come to a complete, full halt.

Personally, I slow and usually stop at most red lights, especially if I saw a car pass through it as I was approaching, and I always stop for pedestrians. I don't stop at all-way stop signs that are clear, though, there is no reason to bother.

Legally, we're considered vehicles, and yes, legally, we are required to obey the street signals. In practice, that doesn't work. Roads were originally designed for us, but now they're designed for vehicles that accelerate quickly and have no issue with stop and go. And there is only so many miles of bike paths and trails we can get to.
    I understand that obviously a car and a bike isn't functually the same, and most issues aren't when bikes does "bad" things and no one is affected. But the problem is when pedestrians are close to harm due to a speeding bike blowing through a stop sign or a traffic light etc.
    At the same time I don't really care because if you're outside in the traffic with other people you have to know that as a majority, people are stupid so always look both ways, even on a one-way street.

- - - Updated - - -

what y'alls music taste like?

I typically listen to instrumental stuff - usually stuff like video game OSTs and such. If I had to give a "normie" answer, stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, (early) Metallica, etc. How about you?