Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Suckling of course. What else?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Most likely they are a remnant of their previous evolution and serve no actual purpose anymore these days.

Much like Humans still have a remnant of a tailbone from the time we were apes, just that it has shrunk enough that we do not actually have tails anymore.

The Eredar just are as they were formed by the evolution on Argus, probably in the past their tentacles had some use, for gathering food or holding prey, but while evolving they had less and less need for it and so they likely grew smaller and they lost the ability to move them by will.

I was gonna try to write something witty that began with t and ended with cles but i decided not to.

The proprioception for their neck muscles have been backwards for thousands of years

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Most likely they are a remnant of their previous evolution and serve no actual purpose anymore these days.

Much like Humans still have a remnant of a tailbone from the time we were apes, just that it has shrunk enough that we do not actually have tails anymore.

The Eredar just are as they were formed by the evolution on Argus, probably in the past their tentacles had some use, for gathering food or holding prey, but while evolving they had less and less need for it and so they likely grew smaller and they lost the ability to move them by will.
    if you go with that theory you gotto come with some purpose they used to have. i'm not really buying grabbing stuff since they are on their face and not in a more logical appendage location, + don't seem to have suction cups or muscles in them, which presumably even a vestigial one would have some signs off.

the peacock theory makes more sense to me, something that's useless/drawback that only evolves because it attracts mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    if you go with that theory you gotto come with some purpose they used to have. i'm not really buying grabbing stuff since they are on their face and not in a more logical appendage location, + don't seem to have suction cups or muscles in them, which presumably even a vestigial one would have some signs off.
    Well, mandibles are also in faces to hold prey. Or compare it to a kraken, their tentacles are literally around their "mouth". If an animal has no other grabbing appendages this does happen.
    Muscles can atrophy over the cause of evolution, when they are no longer needed, because the animal has developed a different way of moving for example, in humans our arms are now usually a weaker then our legs, because our way of moving does put all the body weight on the legs. When we were still on all fours, this probably wasn't the case, since the arms carried just as much, if not more weight then the legs.

the peacock theory makes more sense to me, something that's useless/drawback that only evolves because it attracts mates.
    But that is the same thing. The peacock is a bird, the feathers were at some point used for flying, but they evolved away from it and now employ them mainly for attracting partners. At some point they stopped flying, probably because there were no dangerous predators around they had to evade and food was found plenty on the ground, so they didn't need to fly anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Well, mandibles are also in faces to hold prey. Or compare it to a kraken, their tentacles are literally around their "mouth". If an animal has no other grabbing appendages this does happen.
    Muscles can atrophy over the cause of evolution, when they are no longer needed, because the animal has developed a different way of moving for example, in humans our arms are now usually a weaker then our legs, because our way of moving does put all the body weight on the legs. When we were still on all fours, this probably wasn't the case, since the arms carried just as much, if not more weight then the legs.
    yes. useful tentacles/mandibles/whathaveyou all have bone/chitin/muscles/manipulators/senses on them. and much like your human tailbone, they just atrophy they almost never fully disappear. similarly many sea mammals still have hand bones in their fins.

draenei tentacles just look like squishy tubes that at best serve a sensory purpose, but they are almost shown to be basically facial hair and not at all like e.g. cat whiskers.

But that is the same thing. The peacock is a bird, the feathers were at some point used for flying, but they evolved away from it and now employ them mainly for attracting partners. At some point they stopped flying, probably because there were no dangerous predators around they had to evade and food was found plenty on the ground, so they didn't need to fly anymore.
    no its not the same thing. it's two consecutive things. first they became land birds, and only after that did they become pretty.

honestly i just don't see a way to combine useful tentacles + a humanoid shape.
    if sensory tentacles came first, why don't they have some left at other useful bodyparts?
    if feeder tentacles came first, why didn't that become their mouth?
    if manipulator tentacles came first, why did they evolve arms/legs instead of evolving the tentacles into that?
    if the humanoid shape came first, why isn't their nose a tentacle?

honestly i kinda like the cat whisker idea that would make sense, but what crazy person would put ornaments/braids/etc onto a functional sensory organ?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I must know.
    They are clearly a vestigial remnant of the void-based lifeforms the eredar were descended/corrupted from by the arcane, the light and the fel.

As such they are meant to feed on emotion and such, "horniness" in particular.
    Last edited by loras; 2021-09-20 at 12:21 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

yes. useful tentacles/mandibles/whathaveyou all have bone/chitin/muscles/manipulators/senses on them. and much like your human tailbone, they just atrophy they almost never fully disappear. similarly many sea mammals still have hand bones in their fins.

draenei tentacles just look like squishy tubes that at best serve a sensory purpose, but they are almost shown to be basically facial hair and not at all like e.g. cat whiskers.

no its not the same thing. it's two consecutive things. first they became land birds, and only after that did they become pretty.

honestly i just don't see a way to combine useful tentacles + a humanoid shape.
    if sensory tentacles came first, why don't they have some left at other useful bodyparts?
    if feeder tentacles came first, why didn't that become their mouth?
    if manipulator tentacles came first, why did they evolve arms/legs instead of evolving the tentacles into that?
    if the humanoid shape came first, why isn't their nose a tentacle?

honestly i kinda like the cat whisker idea that would make sense, but what crazy person would put ornaments/braids/etc onto a functional sensory organ?
    People do this. Tongue piercings.

Once a girl kisses a draeni....

For the same reason naga have them... To adorn them with rings of course! How does a coned ring stay on a coned surface is the better question...

10+ Year Old Account
    Facehugging.
    yes, like that.
    But different.
    But not THAT different.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

When I was sporting a beard an acquaintance of mine asked; "Why cultivate what you have growing on your face when you have it growing wild on your...loins?"

Hmm...

Redundant horns.

Before evolving into bipeds, draenei heads were surrounded by solid horns. The one above their heads grew tougher through repeated usage (lowering their heads and charging), while the ones below their head and behind their ears grew softer and smaller through prolonged lack of use.

Hence: evolved draenei have large, solid horns above, and small, long, floppy horns (ie. "tentacles") behind their ears and around their jawline.

As for the "tentacles" found in the other place they grow hair... those are for opening jars.

5+ Year Old Account
    They are used to help them in hot dog eating competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Caressing their wives' faces and necks.
    i love this explonation
    it must tickle tho

I bet the tentacles are erogenous

Like a face penis. I wonder if they can go hard, and be weaponised, or used to slap people around

Or are they more like hair,..

Or is it a case of "you know what they say about men with big tentacles.. "
    Last edited by Beloren; 2021-11-20 at 12:29 PM.

--- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-11-20 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Removed meme image

Be careful what you ask, they might have to remove those tentacles.

For all kinds of debauchery