Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do people not do their research when they buy a game?

On friday Metroid Dread released, and it's glorious. I'm so happy to finally, after 19 years, have a NEW Metroid game in 2D to play and it's fantastic.
    It's a bit railroady compared to earlier titles, with how you reach an area and a door locks behind you locking out half the map at times, but overall it's fantastic.

I've seen so many people complain about the game though. Complaints that make it obvious it's their first Metroid game, such as "There are no waypoints!", "I have no idea where to go!" and the usual "It's too difficult!".

Do people not do their research when buying a game, so they know what to expect? If not, why don't they? Do they just see a cool cover and buy the pig in the sack and then get mad when the pig doesn't meet their expectations? Complaining about how a Metroidvania doesn't tell you where to go is like complaining about how you need to do hard jumps on a platformer. I honestly don't understand how these people reason.

Do you expect everyone who has "done their research" on a game to share your opinion of it? Or to not be disappointed/displeased by certain aspects of it?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Do you expect everyone who has "done their research" on a game to share your opinion of it? Or to not be disappointed/displeased by certain aspects of it?
    When it comes to complaints like "it doesn't tell you where to go!"? Absolutely, as that is a core part of the genre. Exploration and feeling lost is what makes Metroidvanias Metroidvanias, if not it would just be your average 2d sidescroller.

Is this another MMO Champion post where someone discovers "The Masses"

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Is this another MMO Champion post where someone discovers "The Masses"
    Doesn't stop it from being true. It's been pretty apparent that people don't really keep up in the know. They don't wait for game reviews to come out. They just see what is advertised to them on TV and in Youtube ads and what is pushed on the front page of IGN and preorder that.

I've only gotten just into the game a bit due to the joy-con issue finally hitting me and requiring the free repair, so I haven't gone too deep into yet.

I will say from what I've noticed is that earlier installments of Metroid did give you a little more on-the-nose direction in some cases. For example, in the Prime series, you'd get a prompt that your sensors detected some issue or anomaly, giving you a very rough idea of where you should head next. Other M was similar in this regard, highlighting a section of the map to go search for or visit. I can't comment on the 3DS games since I never owned a 3DS to play them. Unless it happens later in the game, I haven't seen this in Dread yet. That isn't to say it's a bad thing to not give you hints as to where to go, it's probably a 'feature' that's become standard in most games.

The game definitely has a more Super Metroid feel to it so far, and I've seen others compare it more to the 3DS Metroid games (I mean they're part of the Dread story line from what I'm guessing). I honestly still love playing through Super Metroid even to this day, as it's been one of my favorite installments. If I had a semi-complaint thus far, some of the 'secrets' are a bit too on-the-nose and easy to find. Again, that may change as I get further in.

However, as a general statement, you never really know for sure what you're getting into when you buy a game... unless you've played a demo, perhaps. Even with the Metroid franchise, it's gone several ways of tackling the gameplay over the years, doing 2D platforming, 3D FPS-esque, and 3D/2D platform hybrid. Each game has had different systems and mechanics, even changing how core mechanics work within their own sub-arc (such as Prime trilogy having various different mechanics between their games). Since the game rental business is pretty much gone, it's not like you can spend a couple dollars to rent a game for a couple days to see if you like it.

On a cynical note, just look at how many people will blindly pre-order non-physical games nowadays, even ones that don't give you bonuses for preordering. Enough said.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Not sure how people are getting lost since the game does a very good job at ferrying you in the next direction you need to go.

This is my first metroid in like, 2 decades.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    If I see something I like, I watch a review, or some let's play. I want to know what I'm buying.

Never buy anything based on a title anymore, and absolutely never pre-order anything, from anyone. I don't buy anything on release anymore, either. Especially not triple-A. Can almost guarantee it's under-developed and rushed out the gate as soon as possible to please their shareholders. Just plug your ears, and imagine the game wasn't released yet, and wait a month or two. And never, ever, base your decision on a fucking cinematic trailer that tells fuck-all about the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

because people is kinda stupid thats all that is, i remember as a kid when super metroid came out my cousin used to play the game for hours, and hours, getting lost and frustrated with the game most of the time, that was all i had to know to not play it until some years later...

Its up to the game to win them over.

If someone doesnt like something, perhaps its for a reason?

If its their first metriod maybe there are legitimate gripes with the game that can include not being intuitive or fun to explore.

Of course there will be extreme examples like why is this not a FPS shooter 0/10 but outside of that it is up to the game to be fun and encourage exploring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only buy what I see on sponsored twitch streams.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Its up to the game to win them over.

If someone doesnt like something, perhaps its for a reason?

If its their first metriod maybe there are legitimate gripes with the game that can include not being intuitive or fun to explore.

Of course there will be extreme examples like why is this not a FPS shooter 0/10 but outside of that it is up to the game to be fun and encourage exploring.
    Well ... no?

OP has a point. If you buy a JRPG and then complain about how grindy it is ... thats your own fault for not researching that particular genre and title if its a series. Metroid has a genre and there are many before it, if the complaints people have about it can be countered with "What did you expect, its a MetroidVania game?" then its the fault of the consumer and not the game.

Your point would stand if say the consumer loved Game 3 but hated Game 4... the devs may have made a dud. Not even genre and series is for every player.

The problem with gamers today is a challenge is completely different than a challenge 20 years ago, if the game isn't convenient enough, the mechanics aren't simple enough, and the gameplay isn't tight enough then people see it as "clunky" or "too difficult" and "unpolished" but that's not really the topic at hand, people have different tastes in games, and its sad to say streamers have a huge amount of pull in what todays gamers want and find trendy.

New World for example, I seen so many streamers hate on that game for being made by amazon only for it to come out and be a great game that anyone from runescape, to ARK, to albion would love to play because of its similar mechanics and gameplay, and now its one of the top trending games on twitch. I'll be honest...i bought the game on a whim because of the 40$ price tag even though steam "reviews" said mixed, started in on a low pop server and fell in love instantly.

No, most people do not.

That's why advertising works, and why companies can make a business out of pulling one over on people.

Maybe you haven't met people. Because most people are, quite frankly, idiots, in one form or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never happens to me. I never pre-order anything and wait for 1-3 months postlaunch reviews. Saves a lot of money and frustration.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

I can testify from first hand experience that people do NOT do research.

Friend got hyped up from new world so I bought with him.

Complete objective trash... like I honestly can't believe anyone could like it, horrid combat, garbage animations, laughable questing/leveling... it's basically a tree cutting and pressing w simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    No, most people do not.

That's why advertising works, and why companies can make a business out of pulling one over on people.

Maybe you haven't met people. Because most people are, quite frankly, idiots, in one form or another.
    Many times people buy with their eyes.

Even a site where they aggregate data can be wrong.

We get it, you are mad because not everybody likes the game you like...

To your question; No, most people probably don't...
    that's why video-game marketing still exists in the form it does.

If data had shown that majority of game-buyers actually found your game on the web/trough research then each game would come with an advanced website (thinking much like WC3 had back in the day) to boot.

There's probably a reason this is the first new 2d metroid in a while. It's a game that lies outside most modern gamers sensibilities.

There were even reviewers complaining it was too hard and that the difficulty was a fault of the game.

From: https://mashable.com/article/metroid...intendo-switch

It's not one particular thing that broke Metroid Dread's spell for me. The real issue is how fundamentally unfriendly it is as an overall experience. It's challenging, but that challenge is a solid, vertical wall here. There's nothing in the way of help for players who can't climb that wall. You're expected to just be patient, keep trying, and, to borrow one of the more annoying gamer troll catchphrases, "get good."

I don't want to get the kind of good that's required here. I tried and it was deeply unpleasant. When I got stuck on a certain boss for multiple hours, so much frustration built up in my repeated attempts to beat it that there was no satisfaction when I finally succeeded. That was a recurring issue with boss fights, with pathfinding, and even with some of the later run-of-the-mill foes that you encounter. The more I played Metroid Dread, the less I wanted to keep playing. I didn't manage to finish in the end, and I'm sure I never will.

It's a damn shame. I love Metroid. I want to play all the Metroid and experience its whole story for myself. But MercurySteam decided, for whatever reason, that only those people who pass the test, who master the controls, who happily throw themselves at challenges again and again — who, to use that atrocious shorthand again, get good enough — can experience all the joys and wonders that Metroid Dread has to offer. What a waste.

Depends on the game. Most games I will wait to see what reviews and public opinion say before dropping full price. The Dark Souls series though are instant buys for me, I don't need to see reviews to know I am going to love the game.