Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Random "OH SHIT" moments while driving

Anyone ever had any of these? Been driving for almost 10 years now, and had a few close calls with other drivers, but never an accident.

However, this happened yesterday morning whilst I was coming home from visiting a friend.

Anyone else have footage of these "OH SHIT" moments? Not random ones you've found, but where you were driving?

5+ Year Old Account
    Couple of years ago I was driving home after grocery shopping and a family of ducks crossed the road. Fortunately I managed to stop in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Anyone ever had any of these? Been driving for almost 10 years now, and had a few close calls with other drivers, but never an accident.

However, this happened yesterday morning whilst I was coming home from visiting a friend.

Anyone else have footage of these "OH SHIT" moments? Not random ones you've found, but where you were driving?
    Had the same thing happen to me, but I worked 3rd shift. BUT I didn't get stopped in time, kinda hard to see sometimes, but I hit 2 deer coming out of the same ditch. Almost totaled my car.

For me not a pigeon, but a smaller bird, driving on the highway, I saw it for a fraction of a second coming from the side in front of the car but didn't see it come out on the other side. Didn't have time to react and probably it's better not to react in situations like this. I kind of forgot about it until a week or so later when I sensed a foul smell in the garage. Upon inspecting the car, I found the culprit behind the front grill, stuck in the radiator. Nasty cleanup business...

Also had an adventure with a horse that decided to move from the side of the road to in front of my car at the worse moment. Didn't hit it but it was very close.

Lesson learned: when you see animals on the side of the road, don't assume they will stay there. Slow down, give them space and watch them closely, some of them have suicidal thoughts.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yups thanks to my shifts I end up seeing wild animals crossing the road between work and home all the time.
    Last night I almost ran over a group of ducklings following their mom. 2 months ago almost hit a deer cause I was watching its friend that was 4 meters ahead of it on the other side of the road. Hit a skunk some weeks ago, didn’t leave much damage but my car stank for awhile despite going through a car wash.
    Not all bad thou seen plenty of foxes on the route that smart enough to wait for cars and I also fed/pet a big ol moose an apple.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only oh shit driving moments I dealt with were caused by bipedal animals.

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    Last week, I,m with my friend travelling around the city and from nowhere a cat came and my friend just pull the hand brake, we just save ourself somehow,

I've been driving for about 15 years and I can think of a few. No footage but nothing serious; a deer encounter similar to yours, clipped my side-mirror on a road-post once and one time forgetting how I had gotten somewhere when I had been driving the same route every day for over a month.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

...that small spider lowering itself from the visor dangling inches from my eyes, and me, concentrating long enough to pull over safely to the side of the road...

Well it is not my story but:

I friend of my went out for a cruise 20 odd years ago in his s14. They hit something and it basically lost all power, no more boost, barely even running otherwise. Managed to limp back and to try and diagnose. There was just nothing wrong with the car, checking everything and all was fine.

Later that evening the problem was identified. I do not know the specific setup he has but I believe he had a cold air box with maybe 3 inch or more duct from low down on his bumper. Probably not great if you live somewhere where it rains but I digress: There was a whole duck wedged head first in this pipe and was of course, pretty much blocking all air flow.

Remove duck, back to drifting.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Well it is not my story but:

I friend of my went out for a cruise 20 odd years ago in his s14. They hit something and it basically lost all power, no more boost, barely even running otherwise. Managed to limp back and to try and diagnose. There was just nothing wrong with the car, checking everything and all was fine.

Later that evening the problem was identified. I do not know the specific setup he has but I believe he had a cold air box with maybe 3 inch or more duct from low down on his bumper. Probably not great if you live somewhere where it rains but I digress: There was a whole duck wedged head first in this pipe and was of course, pretty much blocking all air flow.

Remove duck, back to drifting.
    Yeah, I'm sure my Civic has the cold air intake low down on front left bumper. Never had an issue when it rains and I live in Scotland, so thats 90% of the time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's that time of year where deer are out and about more, definitely keep an eye out for them. This was a tiny baby in the video. I was right behind a minivan that hit a full size buck on the Interstate going 75mph. It destroyed her van in front, air bag deployed, I pulled over and helped and the person was ok, the deer was not. It was very gruesome and something I wish I hadn't seen. She was very lucky she didn't get killed, which do happen in deer/car accidents this time of year. This was in the daytime and I saw the buck a mile away but the driver must have been daydreaming or not paying attention.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, so long as you avoid flooding you should be fine. Just don’t want that intake fully submerged.
    I'm legit not sure tbh. It does seem to have a hole there. I'll post a pic. It's where the mouse cursor is.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a 2020. UK reg plate work like this

RE - Where car was registered. RE is Reading. Infact, all R plates are Reading, from RA onwards.
    20 is the year. Registered between 1st March and 31st Aug. Then a 5 is added to first number form 1st Sept to next year Feb. So if it was registered in October, it would be 70.
    YXL - these are just random letters.

So a car registered in Edinburgh, Scotland would read SL20 VFO.

I'm legit not sure tbh. It does seem to have a hole there. I'll post a pic. It's where the mouse cursor is.
    This is oem? I would say very very unlikely this is an air intake, maybe a brake duct like vegas said. It is pretty unlikely that it would ever cause issues but oems usually come with an abundance of caution.

Between vacuum and ramming action you would be surprised at what can actually happen if you say, plough down a flooded road that is just a little deeper than your intake
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    This is oem? I would say very very unlikely this is an air intake, maybe a brake duct like vegas said. It is pretty unlikely that it would ever cause issues but oems usually come with an abundance of caution.

Between vacuum and ramming action you would be surprised at what can actually happen if you say, plough down a flooded road that is just a little deeper than your intake
    Yup, totally oem. The other side is blocked off, so it can't be for brakes. Maybe I should open the bonnet and actually check next time I'm out.

Edit: So I went outside and had a look, it does seem that there is some piping that leads down to that area from the airbox.

Last edited by Tommi; 2021-10-18 at 04:57 PM.

Is your car turbo charged? If so I would guess that the intercooler (which will be below the number plate) is behind the vent.

Just to add it is entirely possible that the intake does nothing on your model and has a purpose on another model.
    Last edited by Pann; 2021-10-18 at 05:50 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Is your car turbo charged? If so I would guess that the intercooler is behind the vent.
    It's a 1.5 VTEC TURBO (182BHP), so yeah.

It's a 1.5 VTEC TURBO (182BHP), so yeah.
    I would guess that it is an intake for the intercooler, from your video it looked (to my admittedly non-expert eye) that the air intake is on the other side of the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I would guess that it is an intake for the intercooler, from your video it looked (to my admittedly non-expert eye) that the air intake is on the other side of the engine bay.
    I know harping on about this but I was just curious and did a little research. The intercooler seems to run along the bottom of the front tip like a BMW so not the intercooler. Would be odd to be such a small intake but stranger things have happened at sea. The aforementioned s14 from my last post comes stock with a side mounted intercooler which is pretty wild, I think they have their own fans though like a radiator but they are super stealthy, it could totally live behind a vent like the civic has. First thing that gets tossed out though, I have never seen a stock s14

Last port of call is probably an oil cooler or transmission fluid cooler(unlikely) behind all the piping in that hole. Other wise it could be a genuine speed hole that is there for another trim.