Poll: Has Forum chatter affected how much you play wow?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Did forum chatter ever cause you to leave or play wow?

Curious if this has been your experience.

Forum whining has put me off wow before, and sometimes prevented/delayed returning to play or just not renewing, however the opposite has been far more the case.

Coming on forums and discussing wow has far more often pulled me back into the game too, but then I was drawn into discussions about night elves and things I like, rather than caught up in how terrible the new resource system is etc. Those lore and race discussions or customisation discussions, exciting new news from blizzard, have been far bigger drawers than nagging retractions.. however, forum complaining has often enough darkened my view on wow where I would not have initially minded as much

Forum chatters? Streamers? Youtubers? No.
    I do not need other people to form my own opinion about the game.

The other thing is when is see twitter accounts of current devs...
    Yes - i am mad and sad at the same time because i know the game won't be better in the future...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

Forum whining has put me off wow before, and sometimes prevented/delayed returning to play or just not renewing, however the opposite has been far more the case.

Coming on forums and discussing wow has far more often pulled me back into the game too, but then I was drawn into discussions about night elves and things I like, rather than caught up in how terrible the new resource system is etc. Those lore and race discussions or customisation discussions, exciting new news from blizzard, have been far bigger drawers than nagging retractions.. however, forum complaining has often enough darkened my view on wow where I would not have initially minded as much
    Never have it affected me, and never will it. My view and experience of games are my own, and my own reasons to play them.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Other people's opinions have no effect on how I feel about playing the game. I've seen people say how negative discussion affects their enjoyment of WoW but I don't really understand that process at all.

Other people's opinions don't affect my play habits unless my guild is literally falling apart as seems to be the case at the moment.

It's generally been very stable since patch 9.1, but during the last week or so, I've personally witnessed at least half a dozen people leaving the guild.

It's a guild that's been stuck at Mythic 9/10 SoD for a while now, mind, so it might simply be down to burnout.

That said, I've purposely avoided mythic progression myself because I don't care to repeatedly wipe on bosses 50+ times to progress.

I usually consider myself done with raiding for the tier when I've completed the skip quest for heroic difficulty. Sometimes I'll continue raiding heroic for a while, but never mythic. Not even just for first couple of "easy" bosses.

But as far as opinions on forums are concerned, those have never caused me to reevaluate playing the game. I rarely go a full month without the desire to play WoW anyway, so I just have a 6 month sub going indefinitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

It's never affected me personally. Thing is, negativity has been such a big part of the experience since I started playing 15 years ago that I guess I'm used to it. It kinda seems to be the norm that nothing is appreciated while it's current and it's only later that people talk about it with reverence. I've only unsubbed 3 times and that has come from me not enjoying the game and/or guilds falling apart. In Wotlk I did unsub at one point, in Cata I did as well and at the end of WoD with the Tanaan draught I unsubbed and thought I would never come back. I haven't had that feeling of "I really have nothing to do" in the last 3 expansions that usually pushes me towards quitting so there's that at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes it did make me both return and leave game, i remember i played MoP specially thanks to reviews
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Other people’s opinions have never really mattered. The devs usually decide that for me with the direction they take the game is what usually influences whether I play or don’t. Legion for example was the first time I stayed subbed for the entirety of an expansion.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2021-11-24 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

After ~48.000 /played hours (vanilla <=> SL) with some short breaks (weeks), sometimes impacted by negativity in this forum, but I learned to just QUIT READING THE FORUMS for some time and just kept playing and found quickly fun in the game / ingame communities usually.

The game was in broken state many times - like you had to consider PLAYING and causing permanent damage to your account (reputation exploits/bugs, arena/pvp releated widespread exploitation that went for MONTHS) or take a few weeks a break till at least hotfixes were online.

And still even on those times where you basicly had to risc your account just for playing, the forum negativity never even come close to what we got since LEGION.
    Maybe its some parts of the community that migrated from other games or LEGION attracted not the friendliest kind of players into the community - I am sure M+/competitive PVE outside of boring raiding did its part.

What ever caused the change from WoD => LEGION, for me its a night and day difference. A few days of active forum reading is just as bad as weeks/months in the past.
    -

What kind of question is this?

One would probably need to seek some kind of therapy or counseling if you let forums affect your life. There has to be something more underlying there that is the real cause for issues.

i don't need validation about what i may or may not like so no

10+ Year Old Account
    People have been whining about every single expansion of WoW so far so I wouldn't trust forums.

I'm very non-influenceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Never really swayed me as far as subscription goes, that is primarily influenced by some online buddies. Though I admit I find a certain sense of pleasure when the munchkins without a clue don't get their way and the game is better for it (LFR, alternative endgame to raids) or when the mindless shills confirm terrible descisions and everyone besides them leaves. It also did help form my stance on WoW and housing, see #4.

Edit: You mods are truly a pathetic bunch.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-11-24 at 06:18 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Imagine being so weak willed you are playing a game you love or hate and when you jump on mmo champion and see contradicting opinions you suddenly change your mind. Damn.. I am sure some are out there. That's funny as hell. I just suspect we will hear from the truly strong willed here though. The perfect unswable group!
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2021-11-24 at 12:51 PM.

Nah, I'm more than capable of forming my own opinions and making my own enjoyment in any game. I don't let others affect whether or not I decide to play it, certainly not people I don't even know of all things. Most definitely not the scum that generally infects the forums and fansites.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Because I look at WoW as more of a community game than actually a game, I tend to lurk a lot on the forums and messageboards.

Perhaps I take all the complaints too seriously, and that might be wrong, but I can't ever shake off the impending doom feeling whenever I read the comments, especially because I've seen the opposite before.

It's true that you can never please everybody, and that the complaining party tends to be way more vocal. But damn, even considering that, especially in the times we're in, with all the negativity inside ABK, it's hard to look away and not consider all this negativity somehow justifiable. It's not about being weak or strong willed, it's just about wishing the game could provide a pleasant experience for as many p(l)ayers as it can.

This being said, I actually enjoyed BfA, despite all the hate it got.
    Last edited by Ikza; 2021-11-24 at 01:29 PM.

Nope .. couldn't care less if others like/dislike something. Perfectly capable of deciding for myself if I enjoy something or not.
    This is why I don't care to watch youtubers in general .. there's just no valuable information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never. I have one friend who can stir up my desire to play occasionally, but that's the extent of other people's influence on whether I play or not.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Hard to say, but i think not.

To make a big influence, i think the complaints need to resonate with me and most forum posters i've seen don't care about the same things i do, except maybe the lore.

But i don't think i needed forum posters to notice the lore got crappier. I only feel the need to go to the forums in the first place when the game is getting bad or dull, so there's that too.