Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Some moral consistency would certainly be nice, you know. It's not too much to ask, now is it?
    I see a consistent pattern of Dems holding people accountable in their party.

It’s is a simple thing to ask. Maybe direct that at yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some moral consistency would certainly be nice, you know. It's not too much to ask, now is it?
    You're literally pointing at that "moral consistency" and mocking us for having it.

Sort of the point I was making. You think it's funny we're changing our minds based on new information about something, and that our positions are based on facts and evidence. That's what you thought was worth mocking.

Is "moral consistency" your new buzzword for "blind and unthinking adulation no matter what the facts may be"?

As a Canadian you should be thankful that Canada's social policies save you from your own politics or the politics of like-minded people.

Cuomo could've done better during the pandemic but he did do better than every single GOP-controlled state. Yes he did worse than any Conservative controlled province in Canada but 45% of New York was going to ignore him regardless of what he did.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NYTimes suggests CNN fired Cuomo because/during an accusation of sexual misconduct of his own.

Not a ton of details, but if true it's certainly making that firing more clear. Sexual harassment and its various related ugliness has no place in the 21st goddam century.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The NYTimes suggests CNN fired Cuomo because/during an accusation of sexual misconduct of his own.

Not a ton of details, but if true it's certainly making that firing more clear. Sexual harassment and its various related ugliness has no place in the 21st goddam century.
    I mean, we know he was suspended earlier this week because of the contacts with his brother breaching journalistic ethics. And then they investigated, and found a lot more shit, and fired him. We still don't know what that "shit" is, but it was clearly bad enough for CNN to show their legal team and their legal team to say "yeah, 100% a violation of terms, no legal issues, he's already broken the terms of every contract so get rid of him ASAP". I was surprised at the rapidity of that development, which says whatever they found was definitely serious. I imagine it might come out more openly in the near future, once the dust settles on this a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I was surprised at the rapidity of that development
    I think a lot of us were. Not just that he was outright fired, but so quickly.

I do enjoy watching people turn on those they once staunchly defended. The fact that people actually defended Andrew Cuomo despite his state administrations incompetence leading to the deaths of thousands of elderly people in New York state only to turn on him because he happens to be a sex pest shows how messed up some people's priorities are as far as what outrages them. How is it that it took this scandal to draw the line and not preventable deaths of elderly people? And the fact that his brother was part of the coverup doesn't at all surprise me, not that I expect ethical behavior from CNN these days.
    And yet, you have bent over backwards defending Trump even after decades of racism, multiple confirmed cases of sexual assault and rape, and now has strong ties to Epstein, even going as far as having a 14 year old delivered to him, and lets not forget about the 13 year old he is credibly accused of raping.

- - - Updated - - -

Fucking hilarious coming from the supposed moral highground of Trump supporters that have been defending a racist rapist piece of shit.

You don't know what actual morals are, do you?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of us were. Not just that he was outright fired, but so quickly.
    I was surprised/not surprised!
    Surprised that Chris got fired.
    Somewhat Surprised that Chris was actually fired when his firsthand sexual harassment. Jeffery Toobin was technically fired as well.
    Not Surprised if Cuomo also comes back after a short hiatus.
    Not Surprised that also-a-creep Jake Tapper gets the Cuomo spot.

I mean women and minorities keep telling us that there's a systemic problem. But addressing their concerns might get in the way of mediocre white guys failing upwards.

Planning to have a chat about CNN's Senior Political Analyst, Ryan Lizza in a bit. So have this in mind:

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is if you are asking the right.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    It is if you are asking the right.
    Yeah, that's not the "consistency" he should be asking about.

Question: Did he do something badly wrong?
    YES -> Condemn the action, condemn the actor.
    NO -> Carry on as before.

I mean, I didn't have a strong opinion of MyPillow Lindell until he went past "I am an avid Trump supporter" to "and I will use my money to invent lies that damage democracy directly". Not going to lose sleep over that, mostly because I don't use his pillows, but also because I'm judging him by his proven words and actions. If Cuomo, either of them, used their job to pressure women for sexual advances, that's various forms of immoral, unethical, and illegal.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's not the "consistency" he should be asking about.

Question: Did he do something badly wrong?
    YES -> Condemn the action, condemn the actor.
    NO -> Carry on as before.

I mean, I didn't have a strong opinion of MyPillow Lindell until he went past "I am an avid Trump supporter" to "and I will use my money to invent lies that damage democracy directly". Not going to lose sleep over that, mostly because I don't use his pillows, but also because I'm judging him by his proven words and actions. If Cuomo, either of them, used their job to pressure women for sexual advances, that's various forms of immoral, unethical, and illegal.
    Well I guess you are right. The right is consistent in not having morals to begin with.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Who's morally inconsistent?

Nobody here likes CNN dude. We defend them against strawman attacks from conservatives who seem triggered by the networks very existence, but that's about it. Beyond that CNN is corporate trash that has a passable news service at best, and a largely waste of time TV offering.

We want people to be held accountable? Yeah, that still holds true, and we wanted Cuomo to be held accountable. And he was, now that he's fired.

You're creating legions of strawmen to do righteous battle against. It's just a shame you won't have glorious war stories to tell you children, as telling them the tale of, "That time I beat up hundreds of lifeless strawmen" will probably get old after the first telling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Well I guess you are right. The right is consistent in not having morals to begin with.
    Well, the consistency I believe he is talking about is "support the person indefinitely, regardless of their actions". Which is part of why I call it a cult.

The parallel that leaps to mind is Bill Cosby. If someone asked me "you have a bunch of his albums from 20 years ago, don't you feel embarrassed about buying them?" I would honestly say "Not even a little, we didn't know about the other stuff then". Once we knew about the rest, well, things changed. Anyone with a reasonable mindset should re-evaluate a situation when more evidence comes to light, rather than literally worship someone no matter how many flaws they develop.

I feel about Gov. Cuomo the way I feel about Chris Christie, honestly. Christie went to fucking bat over Hurricane Sandy. He made tough calls for the good of his residents and took no shit about, for example, closing the Garden State Parkway for emergency vehicles to use. I saw him live, he said something like "if you get past the barriers, the fire trucks are not going to slow down for you". Also "the people in Atlantic City said they were okay and refused our help, so we're sending the help elsewhere". And then! He sold it all out for Trump who cast him aside like the other half of a Jersey Mike's tuna sub (they really don't keep). I also thought Cuomo was doing a tough job well, especially considering COVID was dumped in his lap early on. But, then we found out that other stuff.

I'm not going to defend him with "yes I know he hid death data to cover fatal mistakes, but you have to consider--"

Quote Originally Posted by Keten View Post
    So what does it mean now that all the various prosecutors seem to be dropping the charges on the grounds of "we don't have enough evidence to show he committed a crime"? We don't know whether he did it or not, we just have allegations that could be absolutely nothing. So were two careers wrecked for nothing? I'm not typically in favor of the whole vilifying women that come forward with complaints, but perhaps various groups acted precipitously against the Cuomo's, given that there's no evidence?

eta Wondering how this will affect public perception of Letitia James' case against Trump, given that she was at the forefront of the accusations against Cuomo?
    In which you apparently don't get why he resigned, how allegations of misbehavior vs. criminal conduct are different, and attempt to link this to Letitia James despite the fact that she is not the AG that was overseeing this case (local DA is).

Pretty much nothing you wrote reflects reality.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-01-05 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    In which you apparently don't get why he resigned, how allegations of misbehavior vs. criminal conduct are different, and attempt to link this to Letitia James despite the fact that she is not the AG that was overseeing this case (local DA is).

Pretty much nothing you wrote reflects reality.
    Also that Chris Cuomo's ethical failures were in no way predicated on his brother having committed any crime or not. He acted unethically and deserved to be fired for it, period.

So what does it mean now that all the various prosecutors seem to be dropping the charges on the grounds of "we don't have enough evidence to show he committed a crime"? We don't know whether he did it or not, we just have allegations that could be absolutely nothing. So were two careers wrecked for nothing? I'm not typically in favor of the whole vilifying women that come forward with complaints, but perhaps various groups acted precipitously against the Cuomo's, given that there's no evidence?

eta Wondering how this will affect public perception of Letitia James' case against Trump, given that she was at the forefront of the accusations against Cuomo?
    You're confusing "We don't have the evidence we would need to go forward with a criminal trial" and "Cuomo did nothing wrong"

Albany County District Attorney David Soares said he chose not to pursue the misdemeanor charge — alleging the disgraced governor groped a staffer at the Executive Mansion — despite determining the complaint to be credible.

Soares said that “after review of all the available evidence we have concluded that we cannot meet our burden at trial.”
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2022-01-05 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    You're confusing "We don't have the evidence we would need to go forward with a criminal trial" and "Cuomo did nothing wrong"
    Remember; you could have fully-confirmed 100% DNA match for a killer to a victim, with video footage of the murder in progress with full face exposure of the killer to the camera in high-resolution, the killer's voice as he clearly states his malicious intent, and if that killer is one of a set of twins, and neither has an alibi, and you can't directly tie either to the scene or the victim, you don't have enough evidence to go forward with a criminal trial. There's a slam-dunk "reasonable doubt" to there being two people who fit the image and DNA evidence and you've got nothing else.

You know it was one of the two, but you're never gonna convict either based on that body of evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Remember; you could have fully-confirmed 100% DNA match for a killer to a victim, with video footage of the murder in progress with full face exposure of the killer to the camera in high-resolution, the killer's voice as he clearly states his malicious intent, and if that killer is one of a set of twins, and neither has an alibi, and you can't directly tie either to the scene or the victim, you don't have enough evidence to go forward with a criminal trial. There's a slam-dunk "reasonable doubt" to there being two people who fit the image and DNA evidence and you've got nothing else.

You know it was one of the two, but you're never gonna convict either based on that body of evidence.
    And, at the end of the day, it is a midemeanor charge....there's a very limited amount of resources that can be spent on that kind of case. It's not "he didn't do it" it's "we've gone as far as we can go investigating this matter...and we just don't have enough to meet our burden".

The DA finds the complaint credible. A Judge and Jury would also likely find the complaint credible....but "credible" is not "Beyond a reasonable Doubt".

If they don't have the evidence then there's a presumption of innocence in our legal system.
    And they don't have evidence to prove guilt of a crime. They do have evidence to prove improper behavior, which he resigned for.

This is very straightforward, and has nothing to do with "Burn the witch!" because like...Cuomo acted grossly unprofessionally and should have resigned in disgrace.

Sure, people can still crucify someone over allegations if they wish, but you only add fuel to the fire of the resentment of the right-wing that believes this is what the left-wing of this country is doing i.e. "cancel culture".
    If you believe this, you're already part of the right-wing that believe that what the left wing is doing is "cancel culture". Because if you don't already hold that belief, there's nothing here that would lead to that conclusion.

but if you're honest then you have to admit that you have no way of knowing if Cuomo was a witch at all.
    We absolutely, 100% do know that he was acting inappropriately, to which resignation was the appropriate consequence. Just not evidence that could prove conclusively that what he did was criminal, which is separate.

But keep on insisting that I'm claiming "Cuomo did nothing wrong" despite never saying anything remotely similar to that.
    Because you are. You're saying he was the victim of a witch hunt.

It's like you skimmed over my post without reading a lick of it and decided I was exonerating Andrew Cuomo just so you could knock over that strawman.
    Then why do you keep talking about "cancel culture" and a lack of evidence in a criminal trial that's unrelated to his resignation for inappropriate behavior?